Reply to this topicStart new topic
CE-2 flyby of Toutatis
Phil Stooke
post Dec 9 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #31

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Comparing the Itokawa radar images and shape model with the spacecraft images shows the limitations of using low resolution radar data. The basic size and elongation are well established but the two-lobe shape is not seen. For Hartley-2 two lobes are also resolved but not much more. But for Toutatis we have high resolution radar data and a detailed shape model, and nothing with that kind of radar data has been visited by a spacecraft. So this will be a very interesting encounter.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post Dec 9 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 5259

Technical info is great. Hsieh hsieh.

Big picture question: has anybody received any word about the health of the spacecraft in the past two months?

We're only days from the encounter. Is the absence of any news from China something to worry about?

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 9 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 5221

The absence of news is business as usual over there. Has there even been an official announcement of this flyby yet from CNSA in Beijing?

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post Dec 10 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Dec 9 2012, 09:38 PM) *
The absence of news is business as usual over there.

I beg to differ. When things have been going well, China has released a stream of information, even ahead of actual events. They have been far more open then the Soviets were in Space Race days. I remember and can compare/contrast.

This silence is unusual.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 10 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 5221

Yes, I've read Don Mitchell's page on the old Soviet missions to the Moon and Venus, and the lengths he had to go to. I'm not sure if he posts on here, but I;m sure has has good insights too.
I'm just saying we should not get our hopes for a real crisp and immediate release like we've become used to from NASA or even ESA. I'd even be happy with a Halley's nucleus type blur.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 10 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1004

there was a long article on the development of CE-2 on a Chinese site recently
http://zh.cnr.cn/2100zhfw/zhhz/201211/t201...511342196.shtml and http://zh.cnr.cn/2100zhfw/zhhz/201211/t201...1342196_1.shtml
at a certain point it is stated (my adaptation of a google translation):

According to the latest news, Chang E 2 successfully completed further extend the test a second halfway correction, the whole control process satellite subsystems work properly, in good condition. Until October 9, Chang'e II satellite in orbit flight 736 days, has 2.61 million kilometers from Earth. Follow-up will be used to track and test our new two deep space monitoring stations and to carry out the technical test.

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post Dec 10 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Paolo @ Dec 10 2012, 09:15 AM) *
there was a long article on the development of CE-2 on a Chinese site recently

Thanks, Paolo, that's encouraging.

I also found this more recent URL but I can't get my translators to work:
http://news.e23.cn/content/2012-12-10/2012C1000084.html

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 10 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1004

another long article in Chinese linked today on the 9ifly forum
http://y234.cn/?p=6128

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post Dec 10 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Paolo @ Dec 10 2012, 07:01 PM) *
another long article in Chinese linked today [url="http://bbs.9ifly.cn/thread-9843-109-1.html"]on the 9ifly forum [

I see a picture of chang'e-2 but can't get translator to work. Any help?

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 10 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 530

^ Google Translate
... seems to be a blogger asking similar questions. It appears based on english articles, so you get what we already know translated to chinese and then google-translated back. Wouldn't assume that will do anything but subtract information.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 10 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #41

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Google translate worked for me. There's no new information in here -- in fact it links to Bill Gray's guest blog on planetary.org and to MPML. It provides background on Toutatis and on NEOs. Mostly it asks why the national space agency isn't ballyhooing this more, and then answers the question by explaining that Chang'E 2's ability to get good data on the encounter is limited, concluding that while any data will be interesting, the significance of this is more as an engineering test of the Chinese ability to make the encounter succeed, providing "valuable experience." Seems like a very nice explainer -- hopefully the author will get some traffic from Chinese readers smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post Dec 10 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 10 2012, 09:13 PM) *
Google translate worked for me.

thanks. i agree that the technology demonstration of the SEL2 dwell, and the departure to the toutatis intercept point, are awesome new levels of space navigation capabilities. it would be nice to get images but your own blog put that in perspective.

i'm working to get my own media clients to appreciate the accomplishment and not to set artificially high success criteria.

would clementine have faced the same problem with asteroid imaging, or was its survey camera of a different design?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 10 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (JimOberg @ Dec 10 2012, 02:17 PM) *
would clementine have faced the same problem with asteroid imaging, or was its survey camera of a different design?

The Clementine cameras were all framing cameras with filter wheels, so no.

That said, slewing a pushbroom imager is not that big a deal; see http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/msss/camera/i..._98_phobos_rel/ Of course I don't know how CE2's attitude control system works.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 11 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #44

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/Toutati...2_planning.html

New images appearing on this site now - one other difference between radar and CE2 images, worth remembering - the visible images will have MUCH better signal to noise - radar images are speckly and show very little detail near the terminator (except bits of it which are tilted towards the radar, like a crater rim) - in fact it's sometimes hard to see where the radar terminator is. So the new images really will be complementary in many ways.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 11 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4057

Very interesting images. Here is image pair from 9. December in more "visible" look:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.