Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn data in the PDS
elakdawalla
post Feb 15 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Hey folks, Christmas came just a little bit late this year...

http://dawnpub.igpp.ucla.edu

DAWN DATA RELEASE: LEVEL 1A DATA FROM APPROACH AND SURVEY

The Dawn project has created a public website that is available to serve the cruise and Vesta data sets that have been delivered to the Planetary Data System (PDS) while the data are still under review. Data are available from all three Dawn instruments, the Framing Camera (FC), the Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIR), and the Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector (GRaND). The data that are currently available are raw data, in engineering units, sometimes referred to as EDRs by the PDS or as NASA level-1a data. Additional data sets will be added when they are submitted to the PDS.

The Dawn website is located at:

http://dawnpub.igpp.ucla.edu

Users of these data should exercise caution. Invariably there will be errors or omissions in the documentation. Please report any problems...
It is a LOT of data. Just the Vesta Approach includes about 2000 FC images! Wow!!!

I think that the first thing I'm going to work on is that approach sequence/movie that I wish I'd had in real time. The rotation of Vesta through the image sequences makes color composition very hard, but I am sure there are people here who are up to it. I hope someone here can come up with a pretty color global shot that I can put into a comparison montage!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 15 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #2

Administrator

I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries. Dawn approaches Vesta, how I wanted it to happen!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 15 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #3

Administrator

(Sorry if I am talking to my self here. I hope it's only because other folks are asleep or haven't downloaded the data yet.) The one thing I'm still scratching my head about is that it doesn't seem they ever shot a multi-frame mosaic quickly enough to avoid Vesta rotating underneath them, at least not that I've found yet. (I hope someone will tell me I overlooked something.) There seems to be absolutely no way to make a high-resolution global mosaic without reprojecting images to compensate for rotation; and with Vesta being as lumpy as it is, that requires a good shape model and some code. The final set of images taken before the start of the Survey mission is called "mosaic" but it seems to have recorded a full rotation of Vesta with the spacecraft sweeping back and forth along a line of longitude, taking three frames to cover Vesta from north to south, letting it rotate underneath Dawn. It is perfect for a global base map at constant illumination geometry, but I can't get my high-res global view. I want my high-res global view!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 15 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 615

Awesome work Emily.

With the images and animation you have posted so far, it kinda proves that we were right to complain make our plea for more images to be released.

I only wish I had some idea of how to process these files. Tutorial references please wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 15 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #5

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 15 2012, 06:16 AM) *
I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries. Dawn approaches Vesta, how I wanted it to happen!

Emily, none of us would mind if you did that more often, honestly! I'm sure new members especially would welcome it if you let UMSF know when you'd written something you think people might find interesting. I think we forget sometimes that new people find UMSF, and take up an interest in space exploration, every day, so we shouldn't assume everyone reading UMSF posts already knows the backgrounds of the posters. So if you want to post a link to something you've written, fire away! :_

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Feb 15 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

I'm very happy with that data release, and your animation, Emily, is fantastic!
It's interesting, that Vesta looks in this animation somewhat crisper and better imaginable as real object than in first images (and animations) from approach phase published last year.

"I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries"
I haven't problem with this as I often do the same thing smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Feb 15 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5205

sad.gif now I see "This site is temporarily under construction"

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Feb 15 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1241

Emily, nice animation!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 15 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #9

Administrator

QUOTE (Adam Hurcewicz @ Feb 15 2012, 11:00 AM) *
sad.gif now I see "This site is temporarily under construction"

Hm. Me too. I haven't received any "cease and desist" style email though. I haven't had any more time to do more image processing today, unfortunately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Feb 17 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5205

So where is this data ? Anyone knows ?

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
pablogm1024
post Feb 17 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6038

Is it right to say that, if data has been publicly available at least once, it should always be?

I am sorry if this almost falls into the OT category, but I thought it might be worth discussing. If anyone disagrees, feel free to make yourself heard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Feb 17 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1102

I doubt that anyone in this forum would say no.
You are being a bit cryptic. Has the data been removed? If so, for what reason?
A different question:
Would releasing data for a period of time and then removing it fulfil the mission's obligations for data release? I would guess no one here would say yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 17 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #13

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The original link went into the data page, now it goes to the site's home page. It's most likely that it really is just 'under construction', still being developed, and that the proper link will be up and running soon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 19 2012, 01:54 AM
Post #14

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Just noticed this at the PDS Small Bodies Node:

http://pds-smallbodies.astro.umd.edu/data_...ase_sched.shtml

Some interesting things coming up... including the Dawn dates and Rosetta Lander Mars flyby data...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Feb 21 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 451

Including, that the Hayabasa imaging and v2 of the LIDAR has finally been released.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.