Reply to this topicStart new topic
Jupiter Impact 2009
tedstryk
post Jul 20 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #31

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Yes, but Cassini would undoubtedly serendipitously make some measurements sooner or later. I imagine that once they have approximated impact time as best they can, many people will be scouring webcam video as well as deep exposures in the general vicinity to try to pick up something. I would say finding imagery of the impact is unlikely - there is nearly a 50% chance that it happened out of view of earth, and even if it was in view, it would take a really good telescope and imaging system to get it, unless it was an infrared telescope, but that would require even more tremendous luck. Also, an infrared observation would have been so obvious and likely taken by professionals, so it is hard to see it being missed. Basically, a more likely scenario is that we narrow it down by finding the first time it should have transited and wasn't seen. This may improve, as many amateur observers take a while to submit their data. Then, hopefully, based on the time frame, any deep wide field frames that might show something can be searched. Still, this is a real needle in a haystack. SL-9 was much larger - based on this spot, it would seem many of its fragments were much larger - than this impactor. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but SL-9 wouldn't have been nearly as active had it not been ripped to pieces by Jupiter's gravity. Plus, has anyone considered the fact that this might have been an asteroid? That would likely never be found.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jul 20 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but SL-9 wouldn't have been nearly as active had it not been ripped to pieces by Jupiter's gravity. Plus, has anyone considered the fact that this might have been an asteroid? That would likely never be found.

I read SL-9 was likely in orbit around Jupiter since the 1930s, but wasn't picked up until after it was torn apart as you say. A small inbound comet or an asteroid would never have been picked up, probably even if we knew where to look. The magnitude would just be below detectable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 20 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Re Saturn vs. Jupiter impacts: Another thing to remember is that there are a LOT more "amateurs" (these days, I almost hesitate to use that word; perhaps volunteer professionals?) watching Jupiter simply because its disc is always changing, what with the Spot, lesser Spots, the belts, eclipse shadows, etc.

Saturn's disc, unfortunately, is extremely bland due to high hazes and of course is completely overshadowed by the rings, which themselves aren't very dynamic in telescopic views. Although it's possible that a Saturn hit might be even more conspicious by contrast with its subdued surroundings, the odds of an amateur picking it up aren't as good; nobody pays much attention to the planet itself.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 20 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 20 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Interesting Twitter site to follow re this story...

http://twitter.com/LeighFletcher

That seems the best site to follw for information....and we might get more images soon it seems.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jul 20 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1102

JPL new release In part:

Scientists have found evidence that another object has bombarded Jupiter, exactly 15 years after the first impacts by the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9.

Following up on a tip by an amateur astronomer that a new dark "scar" had suddenly appeared on Jupiter, this morning between 3 and 9 a.m. PDT (6 a.m. and noon EDT) scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., using NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility at the summit of Mauna Kea, Hawaii, gathered evidence indicating an impact.

New infrared images show the likely impact point was near the south polar region, with a visibly dark "scar" and bright upwelling particles in the upper atmosphere detected in near-infrared wavelengths, and a warming of the upper troposphere with possible extra emission from ammonia gas detected at mid-infrared wavelengths.

"We were extremely lucky to be seeing Jupiter at exactly the right time, the right hour, the right side of Jupiter to witness the event. We couldn't have planned it better," said Glenn Orton, a scientist at JPL.

Orton and his team of astronomers kicked into gear early in the morning and haven't stopped tracking the planet. They are downloading data now and are working to get additional observing time on this and other telescopes.

Really tacky JPL that you couldn't mention Anthony Wesley by name.

[Edit] JPL corrected their release to name Antony Wesley.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 20 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #36

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA12148

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #37

It would have been nice if they actually mentioned Anthony Wesley's name in the release. I can already see the media picking this up as a NASA discovery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 20 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 21 2009, 12:20 AM) *
It would have been nice if they actually mentioned Anthony Wesley's name in the release. I can already see the media picking this up as a NASA discovery.

Yeh that's the first thing I thought about when reading the press release, a bit naughty really.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 20 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #39

Merciless Robot

Agreed. mad.gif

Again, I find it hard to even describe Mr. Wesley as an "amateur", and he certainly deserves name credit as the discoverer of this event. If a comet is named after its discoverer, then a discovered (probable) cometary impact rates acknowledgement of the person who first spots it!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 20 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #40

Guests

There is contact info at the bottom of the press release.

Carolina Martinez 818-354-9382
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
carolina.martinez@jpl.nasa.gov

+Quote Post
tedstryk
Post #41

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

It may be that the public relations office nazis are waiting to get some privacy release consent...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
Post #42

Someone should email them about that, to be honest. Why is it a postdoc student is worthy of mentioning and even eligible for a comment and the original discoverer (whom Spaceweather.com labeled as "veteran Jupiter observer") isn't?

I understand this is JPL's own observation, but they were working off of another discovery. Isn't it customary to reference the original author/observer then? As it stands, this wouldn't be too far from a scoop, media-wise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jul 20 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 1102

I just e-mailed her

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 20 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

Thanks, Sunspot. I just left her a very polite voicemail with a callback number & everything; hopefully it'll do some good...(?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 20 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 530

Just name the deceased impactor after him. wink.gif Heck, if they do find it in old images... would they?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.