2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Not Send Another Mer Pair?
pioneer
post Jan 20 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

I realize MSL has more neat features and will last longer, but the design on MER has been proven to work since Spirit has lasted over a year and Opportunity is close behind. MER is cheaper than MSL because it will use solar power and won't take as much testing since it is using proven technologies. What I'm wondering is why not re-use a design that works?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 20 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Because it doesnt have the payload accomodation to do the bio-science required, or the data handling capactity for the HUGE data products suggested for the MSL payload.

Doug

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 21 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 132

I certainly don't suggest replacing MSL with multiple MERs, but it would be great to have multiple MERs sent to Mars in addition to the MSL. They may not do bio-science, but there is still a lot of "geology" left to do on Mars.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 21 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Founder

Well - if the question is why not send more MER's - the answer is money

Doug

+Quote Post
YesRushGen
post Jan 21 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 77

I've brought up this suggestion a couple times here, Pioneer. It would be really great to augment the ongoing Mars Exploration with more MER pairs on each launch opportunity. Like Doug says, the main reason for not doing so is money.

However, my counter to that is that the cost of the MERs would drop with each production run of them. If some company picked up the design, they could probably find ways to reduce the cost.

Just think of the potential of a generalized MER design, where you could literally plug-n-play the instrumentation.

Further, I realize that the science performed by MER will not hold a torch, much less a candle, to the since done by MSL. However, I think MER is sufficient to at least survey many different locales on Mars.

Perhaps they could even "get jiggy with it" and land in some more difficult places. MER's EDL has proven itself. Based on the two landings to date - how the atmosphere behaved, etc, they could pin down the landing ellipse I think.

Too bad there's no way for us to make this idea known. NASA/JPL is probably so focused on MRO, Pheonix and MSL that the thought of future MERs may not have even occured to them.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 21 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Founder

Maybe someone will propose a single MER for the next mars scout ( ermm 2011 I think ) based on MRO data

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 21 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I think part of the problem is not only instrumentation limits, but instrumentation that can tolorate the relatively hard landing of the MERs. One good question is whether or not there are enough MER leftovers (a la Marie Curie from Sojourner) to build another rover. If such a rover or the pieces to build one exist, I would propose sending it somewhere very different (Tharsis maybe?) and/or with different instrumentation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 21 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #8

Founder

I thikn the altitude at tharsis would preclude a landing using MER EDL there - but certainly places like Vallis Marineris, Isydis Planatia etc

Doug

+Quote Post
YesRushGen
post Jan 21 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Excluding the cost of building the rover, how much does the Delta II cost to launch it to Mars?

Couldn't some sort of business model be constructed whereby a company would build (remember, each one built is cheaper than the prior one - mass production) and launch MERs, and then we the amateur community and/or the scientists could "subscribe to" (ie, pay for) the results?

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 21 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #10

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Still too expensive. It would be very difficult to, through subscriptions of scientists and individuals, raise that kind of money, even for a very cheap mission. And even if you were able to eek by, once failure and you would be totally sunk. I don't see the price of an MER dropping much below 300 million.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 21 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #11

Founder

How would such a paradigm shift occur? Currently PI's get paid to deliver instrumentation for mission - where would they get the money to PAY to fly instruments?

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 22 2005, 01:55 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 124

This site has a good explanation of the limits of where MER could go... not the widest range of landing targets!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 22 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #13

Guests

Let me assure you that there was a good deal of serious discussion of this subject at NASA's Mars Strategic Roadmap meeting two weeks ago . Unfortunately, I can't tell you what was actually decided yet, because that's part of my Coming Exclusive. (Bwah-ha-ha.)

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 22 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 21 2005, 06:34 PM)
Let me assure you that there was a good deal of serious discussion of this subject at NASA's Mars Strategic Roadmap meeting two weeks ago . Unfortunately, I can't tell you what was actually decided yet, because that's part of my Coming Exclusive. (Bwah-ha-ha.)

hmmm - now that is interesting....

i wonder...now that Pete Theisinger has moved on to MSL, does that mean they may now throw a few at Melas Chasma? tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
YesRushGen
post Jan 23 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (lyford @ Jan 21 2005, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 21 2005, 06:34 PM)
Let me assure you that there was a good deal of serious discussion of this subject at NASA's Mars Strategic Roadmap meeting two weeks ago ....

hmmm - now that is interesting....

Yes, it is! It is very interesting. I'll bet that the centerpiece to the argument for sending more MERs is the fact that each one built will cost less than the previous. Think about it: A good chuck of the $800million that went into MER were research, development and testing.

Well, all of that is done. All that's needed is to crank up a factory floor, plop those babies on some Delta-II rockets and light the candle. laugh.gif

Yes, still expensive - but not as expensive as the Spirit/Oppy pair.

I stand by my guns. Launch two on every Earth->Mars launch window. The way Spirit and Oppy are going like the energizer bunny, this could lead to continual rover presence on the red planet! cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.