9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spy Satellite to Hit Earth by late February to March
Bill Harris
post Mar 1 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

Wouldn't it be ironic of a large piece of debris made it to Edwards AFB, where (IIRC) many of the mil-sats are launched?

--Bill

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 1 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #122

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm not aware of any launches actually FROM EAFB. I may be wrong though.

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 1 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #123

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Unless you count Pegasus or perhaps the X-15 program...no, no launches from EAFB.

Vandenberg AFB is around 130 miles west of there as the crow flies, which is what Bill probably meant, and I believe that was in fact where US-193 was launched given its (former) orbital inclination.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 2 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 1 2008, 09:27 AM) *
Wouldn't it be ironic of a large piece of debris made it to Edwards AFB, where (IIRC) many of the mil-sats are launched?

Maybe they got the tractor beams at Groom Lake working now..... THAT's what this test was really
all about...

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 2 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 105

Vandenberg AFB is around 130 miles west of there as the crow flies, which is what Bill probably meant...

Yep, I was thinking Vandenburg but my fingers typed Edwards.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
PhilHorzempa
post Mar 31 2008, 03:43 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 709

One aspect of the USA-193 episode that has not been discussed is the need for
secrecy regarding its demise. As some of you know, stamping a program with
the "CLASSIFIED" label can hide a multitude of sins. Of course, I am not in favor of
revealing details of USA-193's payload.
However, the details of what caused USA-193 to arrive DOA in orbit (according to
the Space rumor mill) should be discussed. When MPL or MCO disappear at Mars, the media
is all over the story, as well they should be. However, when USA-193 becomes the latest
space recon SNAFU, barely a peep is heard.
Billions are invested in NRO's satellites, but the Military "good-ole-boys" network have the
perfect rip-off scheme. They get ALL aspects of an NRO recon satellite classified, so that they
get their billions of dollars regardless of whether the satellite works or not. All that they have
to say when the media come calling with questions is one word - "Classified."
Now whether USA-193's demise was caused by the malfunction of its radio, guidance system,
power system, or propulsion system, an Anomaly Review Board could be appointed with
the directive to release its findings publicly. This could be done without compromising national
security and without revealing the nature of the payload.
As with ITAR, I am against ALL unnecessary government secrecy. It costs us money and
enables contractors to pad their fees and build shoddy satellites. Oversight is the only means
to keep this business honest.

Another Phil

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.