IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HiRISE Expert Question: Radiometric Calibration, How to correct for albedo variations ?
Nirgal
post Mar 7 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

Hi,

I have a question regarding the radiometric calibration of HiRISE (greyscale) images that I have not been able to find an conclusive answer to from looking at the specs & docs so far.

EDIT: ok, I just found the following excellent document:
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/pdf/HiRISE_R..._11_25_2009.pdf
that I'm going to digest now ... should answer most questions smile.gif

However, another thing that is not quite clear to me yet is the handling of look-up table (LUT) during calibration. The LUT is used to convert the original 10 bit to 8 bit on-board needed by the lossless compression algorithm before transmission to earth.
However, as the LUT is nonliner (something square-rootish) the data has to be expanded again somewhare during calibration chain to the original range of 0-1024. However as many of the published images contain D/N values only up to 255 I'm courious if the inverse-lookup correction is always applied or if the LUT-compressed is possibly retained for some of the browse and/or QLOOK images ??

So would it be necessary for those images to apply the inverse-LUT to obtain the real radiometrically calibrated values ?

In an older thread about a similar subject, tuvas wrote:

I was under the impression that the RDR's were going to be released deLUTing the images, restoring them to their 10 bit glory, but it appears that that is not the case... Odd... For anyone who is hard core, I believe the LUT information is included in the EDRs, as might have been mentioned here... I should be paying more attention, but due to my long absence, well, I'm having to only skim topics of interest...

Maybe someone of the experts could shed some light onto this (also with respect to the new, since then improved calibration chain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
GuyMac
post Mar 7 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1292

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 7 2010, 05:47 AM) *
However, another thing that is not quite clear to me yet is the handling of look-up table (LUT) during calibration. The LUT is used to convert the original 10 bit to 8 bit on-board needed by the lossless compression algorithm before transmission to earth.
However, as the LUT is nonliner (something square-rootish) the data has to be expanded again somewhare during calibration chain to the original range of 0-1024. However as many of the published images contain D/N values only up to 255 I'm courious if the inverse-lookup correction is always applied or if the LUT-compressed is possibly retained for some of the browse and/or QLOOK images ??

The EDRs contain the uncalibrated, LUTted values. hi2isis is used in the calibration steps after that. The lossless RDR's (no QLOOK) are the only products that are both calibrated and can be used to get absolute I/F values (our accuracy is found to be within 20% of the true values). All the extras have things done to them like color stretches and conversion to 8-bit (per band) values and lossy JP2 compression. Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Mar 7 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #3

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

There is some interesting general discussion on albedo variations in the paper "PHOTOCLINOMETRY MADE SIMPLE...?" but I assume you must have probably already seen that document.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.