Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Route Map
mhoward
post Aug 15 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #1771

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 15 2006, 02:30 PM) *
Perhaps characterise the dune material in this region before spending a month or two driving on it toward Vic.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'm guessing this is our first contact with the annulus material so they want to check it out. Those of us who were dreaming of a rapid transit toward Victoria will probably need to adjust our expectations somewhat, but once we lay the groundwork here I'm sure we'll be speeding along.

Here's a equirectangular projection of the three Navcam frames in case Phil or someone wants to turn it into a polar for mapping purposes. North is at center.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hortonheardawho
post Aug 15 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #1772

Group: Members
Member No.: 799

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 15 2006, 10:21 AM) *
They said they wanted to look at one of the banded drifts, and this might be the last chance.

Phil

Yes, that seems to be the plan. Closer measurments of a small rock in the closeup Navcams of this area on sols 908 and 909 showed a movement of 1.86 +/- 0.03 meters towards this area.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 15 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #1773

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 15 2006, 03:03 PM) *
Here's a equirectangular projection of the three Navcam frames in case Phil or someone wants to turn it into a polar for mapping purposes. North is at center.

Vertical+Polar projections.
Attached Image
Attached Image

(Michael, if you regularly publish these equirectangular projections, I will be happy to reproject them! wink.gif )

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 15 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #1774

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dilo @ Aug 15 2006, 04:05 PM) *
(Michael, if you regularly publish these equirectangular projections, I will be happy to reproject them! wink.gif )

Sure thing. They're pretty easy for me to produce now, and they should be fairly accurate as I'm feeding the actual camera pointing information to PTGui.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Aug 15 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #1775

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Aug 15 2006, 10:26 AM) *

Yes, that seems to be the plan. Closer measurments of a small rock in the closeup Navcams of this area on sols 908 and 909 showed a movement to 1.86 +/- 0.03 meters towards this area.

Thanks hortonheardawho's picture.

That picture has brough me the attention. Its minor-surface is nothing flat but it presents small underlines and the color of every grain is rather homogeneous except to few dark points (another kind of pulverized rock). It looked like that surface has undergone by very thin or very small humidity.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 16 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #1776

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Latest map update.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 17 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #1777

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Aug 14 2006, 08:05 PM) *
Worst case, we ought to be able to triangulate off of the Twin Peaks and Hawking Rock throughout much of the route. Later there should be ejecta blocks from Epsilon that will be helpful, and I'd expect some Vicky features as well.

I was thinking on a similar approach using Delta and Epsilon as references; I think more the features better the triangulation.
But I would use this method as a way to periodically adjust the route. I think for most of the way on this last part of the route I'll use the rover's position data from the pancam data tracking web to plot the path and from time to time (e.g. each 200m) do a triangulation to see if such path needs to be corrected.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 18 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #1778

Ok, here we go again. My route map, updated to sol 912.

Attached Image

PS: This latest position is derived from a 55m drive on a heading about 14º to the left (east) of "Gamma".

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 18 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #1779

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 18 2006, 03:53 PM) *
Ok, here we go again. My route map, updated to sol 912.

Attached Image

PS: This latest position is derived from a 55m drive on a heading about 14º to the left (east) of "Gamma".

Love the labeling smile.gif I think that sometime in the next few days we ought to be able to firmly tie Hawking Rock to a feature on the C-Proto image, I have strong suspicions already. I noticed today that it is already spanning about 3 pixels in height from the current position. Seems big for a meteorite, but not inconceivable. Could be the Monolith I suppose, but seems too pointy wink.gif

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 20 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #1780

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Aug 18 2006, 11:18 PM) *
I think that sometime in the next few days we ought to be able to firmly tie Hawking Rock to a feature on the C-Proto image

You should be quick or Oppy will run by that rock before we can locate it! biggrin.gif

Updated route map for sol 914.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
helvick
post Aug 20 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #1781

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 20 2006, 03:07 PM) *
You should be quick or Oppy will run by that rock before we can locate it! biggrin.gif

What's the Martian for Va Va Voom?

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 20 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #1782

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 20 2006, 04:07 PM) *
Updated route map for sol 914.

Oppy is closing up to the center of the image very quickly. I'm looking forward to see your route where the center of the image will be the center of Victoria. BTW, will you also keep the context image? Just wondering, I'll know very soon for sure smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 20 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #1783

Here is the latest version of my total route map. It consists of 15 squares, each 500 m across, with a grid (based on a map-projected MOC image) at 100 m spacing. The origin of the grid is the lander. It incorporates numerous corrections to versions I have posted before. Each square (at full size) will be a separate map in a future project.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 20 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #1784

Helvick: "What's the Martian for Va Va Voom?"

Hubba Hubba, I think.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 20 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #1785

Member No.: 152

A drive to Vicky via Epsilon will help us keep our bearings and will give us a peek at that ancient degraded crater too. Epsilon crater here we come!

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 117 118 119 120 121 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.