6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Neptunian System Imaging
jccwrt
post Mar 24 2015, 01:32 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 7273

It's a shame to hear they're not too useful, but I'm not surprised given the somewhat spotty quality of the images.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Mar 31 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 1828

this was my attempt 20 years ago to cobble together a complete mosaic of the Neptune ring system. by coincidence, none of the arcs was in view in any of the shots taken during this long sequence. reminds me i should redo this and try to get rid of some of the artifacts . . .
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Mar 31 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (DrShank @ Mar 31 2015, 01:52 PM) *
this was my attempt 20 years ago to cobble together a complete mosaic of the Neptune ring system. by coincidence, none of the arcs was in view in any of the shots taken during this long sequence. reminds me i should redo this and try to get rid of some of the artifacts . . .

Wow ! What a nice image ! Thanks a lot smile.gif

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Jun 24 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 773

Nice new pictures of Neptune by Hubble, confirming a new Dark Spot with its bright companion in the southern hemisphere !
Reminds me the great time of Voyager 2 flyby. Even if these Hubble images do not have the Voyager 2 resolution, they are quite good and confirm that great science could be made from Earth orbit !
Can't wait the first planetary views from JWST... and from a Neptune-dedicated mission (?)
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/h...spot-on-neptune
Regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Sep 19 2016, 02:51 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 7273

A few recent Neptune projects:

Here's a narrow angle frame from August 20, I think there's a JPL version floating around. However, it still has the scanline artifacts, and is so deeply saturated that it looks like a monochrome image that's been painted a single tone of blue.

Narrow angle frame of the Great Dark Spot rotating into view on late on August 23. I did some blending of narrow angle clear and green filter images to get more of the limb in view while retaining some of the sharpness of the cirrus clouds. Color is taken from wide-angle images taken simultaneously. Some of the color noise has been suppressed using the Deep Sky Colors HLVG plug-in. Not super happy with the results but I think it's the best I'm going to get considering the available data.

Finally a departing shot of Neptune and Triton on August 31. Dark Spot Jr. is near the cusp on the left, as well as a cluster of cirrus clouds that often popped up over the spot. Dark cloud bands around the south pole are also unusually clear in this image. Not sure why.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Sep 19 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1102

Very nice. The geometry of the Neptune and Triton image is stunning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 14 2016, 05:27 AM
Post #52

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

The Coronagraphic High Angular Resolution Imaging Spectrograph (CHARIS), is a new instrument designed by Princeton to observe exoplanets, and works in conjunction with the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii. It has also returned a quite astonishing image of Neptune:

http://www.universetoday.com/131903/prince...d-nearby-stars/

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 15 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 321

That's a great image; I've seen an even sharper image of Ganymede, which I won't link because it's off topic. And the instrument isn't designed for Neptune but, in a nutshell, instruments with resolutions better than 0.01 arc seconds /pixel are now becoming available, which means that we can track features hundreds of km in size, maybe even under 100 km. That means that Neptune could be tracked almost continuously for the ~3/4 of the year when it's not lost in daylight. And echo that for Uranus, with 50% better detail. Indeed, with a lowly 6-inch telescope, I've imaged clouds in visible light on Uranus, which, owing to the seasons, Voyager 2 didn't even accomplish! It's a new era for the outer planets.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 15 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (JRehling @ Nov 15 2016, 01:10 PM) *
...I've seen an even sharper image of Ganymede, which I won't link because it's off topic...

I'd love to see that Ganymede image. Any chance you could post the link, perhaps in the appropriate category?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 16 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Nov 15 2016, 01:55 PM) *
I'd love to see that Ganymede image. Any chance you could post the link, perhaps in the appropriate category?

I posted it here:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=8253

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Sep 6 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 7250

1989-08-27T20:48:45-21:06:21, stabilized and interpolated to 1 frame per 96 seconds (I wanted to match the maximum frame rate the Voyagers were capable of). Some tiny bits of it don't interpolate well, but the compression of the gif hides those errors.

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Sep 8 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Astroboy @ Sep 6 2017, 06:06 PM) *
1989-08-27T20:48:45-21:06:21, stabilized and interpolated to 1 frame per 96 seconds.

Fantastic glimpse you provided us with there. =)

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Sep 24 2017, 03:52 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 7250

I decided to do a rotation movie of an iconic view from Voyager 2 of Neptune on August 17, 1989. It is in Voyager OGB-o-rama, interpolated to 10 minutes per second from three or four frames of each record. I copied Ian Regan's brilliant idea of injecting the spacecraft movement back into the video, and took it one step further by putting the reseaus back in. I geometrically corrected a raw dark current calibration image using the GEOMA program in VICAR but didn't erase the reseaus or clean or calibrate it in any way, keyed out the dark current, and laid the reseau image over my video. There is very little subjectivity here - you see more or less exactly what the narrow angle camera saw during this sequence, with only geometric and radiometric calibration and removal of digital artifacts. Personally, I love the reseaus - you know you're looking at images taken with an old, analog spacecraft camera when you see them.

https://vimeo.com/235197221

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 18 2018, 03:46 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 4270

Supersharp Images from New VLT Adaptive Optics
https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1824/?lang

Rather impressive Neptune image.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 18 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 5221

Amazing! Triton's disc could also be resolved, I believe? The Hubble-VLT comparison in the link would point to that being a possibility.
Just wetting our appetites for a when a spacecraft finally returns to the ice giants (decades from now...)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.