10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Video
dvandorn
post May 30 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Jim, I think the suggestion is that the descent stage *could* be programmed to right itself and lower itself gently. It has to have *some* amount of control function in it, since it has to indepedently maneuver itself away from the rover after it cuts the cables.

I wonder just how much mass might be available for a very small science package and a small transmitter that would relay meteorological and/or seismic data back to the rover, and thence through MRO back to Earth? You'd need some light, simple instruments, a small transmitter and a small antenna. How much would that weigh? And how much mass could MSL stand to be added to the overall package?

I don't think anyone really believes that such a capability will seriously be considered, but it's OK to at least think about it...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post May 31 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 734

QUOTE (RedSky @ May 30 2007, 11:20 AM) *
I don't know why the "skycrane" (in basically its same configuration), couldn't just have landing leg extensions (straddling MSL) and actually land (eliminating the MSL hanging in air). Once landed, MSL could just be similarly reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away. That way, they still have their immediately rovable rover, without the dangerous in-air suspension.

The "legs" would have to have a shock absorbsion system and able to handle uneven terrain. Also, they would have to be folded and then deployed adding more failure modes.

Basically, the descent stage is landing a few meters above the surface.

It is doing exactly like you said
"Once landed, MSL could just be ....reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away"

That's what it is doing, just without a gap between landing and lowering

+Quote Post
hendric
post May 31 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #78

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 30 2007, 06:59 PM) *
I don't think anyone really believes that such a capability will seriously be considered, but it's OK to at least think about it...

This is complex enough, adding more weight and requirements is just not going to happen. Maybe the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Mars crane, but not the first. Gotta run before you fly.

If we want a seismometer, the best way to do that is to deploy a network, and that doesn't look likely any time soon with the demise of Netlander. This would be a great Mars Scout mission, if it could be made cheap enough, with just a dead simple imager and seismometers. 4 landers would give good coverage, with the option of putting one or two in "challenging" but beautiful locations.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post May 31 2007, 07:08 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 384

QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ May 31 2007, 01:52 AM) *
Also, MSL will probably avoid the descent stage since it will be leaking hydrazine

Are you sure about that...
As I understand it , skycrane will fly away quite fast up and away after releasing MSL lander ,suddenly lightened by about 700 kg...whooosh! blink.gif
When it runs out of fuel ,poor thing will have some hight and speed so when it crashes it will burst any hydrazine reservoirs that may contain some residue of fuel...
Why do you think it will be dangerous for MSL lander to go near crashed skycrane even if it had some hydrazine left in its reservoirs as long as it doesn't fire its "laser weapon" on it ? I would like to see that thing on Mars seen through the eyes of MSL... pancam.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post May 31 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 734

Any residual propellant or products could contaminate the science instruments

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 31 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #81

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think the MSL decent stage will be given the same sort of treatment as the MER backshell and chute....keep away. Although Mastcam might get us a nice shot from 100m away smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jun 1 2007, 03:29 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 476

B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ May 31 2007, 12:08 AM) *

its "laser weapon"
[/quote]
Must have watched too many bad sci-fi movies years ago as one of my first thoughts was Marvin would probably suffer sudden incontinence were he to see MSL drive over the top of a dune towards him.

Curious on the significance of "53" in members tim53 and gallen_53. Maybe it's 42 equivalent in the professional UMSF community.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 1 2007, 03:43 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 15

As long as MSL has a laser and not an ACME disintegrating gun, we're OK. We all know that when you pull the trigger of an ACME disintegrating gun -- it disintegrates!

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Jun 25 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 745

New animations have been posted. They look pretty good. smile.gif

Link to JPL Release

Ron

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 25 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #85

Founder

Wow - time warp thread. Who would have thought I'd end up at the technical director for that animation :0

Fairly pleased with the end result. And yeah - it has sounds-in-space syndrome, but that part wasn't my doing smile.gif

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jun 25 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 3908

Is that Gale crater in the animation? Also, too bad the video doesn't show the skycrane crashing after leaving the rover.

+Quote Post
KrisK
post Jun 25 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 5362

Fantastic!!! I noticed that just before SA/SPaH was moved Mastcam had been pointed right. I suppose the reason is to make free space for robotic arm, am I correct?

--------------------
Polish space portal covering up-to-date space news: www.kosmonauta.net

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 25 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #88

Founder

QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 24 2011, 06:21 PM) *
Is that Gale crater in the animation?

No - it's a HiRISE DTM, but not one of the 4 final candidates.

Also, too bad the video doesn't show the skycrane crashing after leaving the rover.

Can you imagine the feedback if we did? A smouldering wreck with fuming hydrazine? A very expensive shot to model and animate as well. Not showing that was a very easy decision.

QUOTE (KrisK)
I suppose the reason is to make free space for robotic arm, am I correct?

Yup - it's to avoid a potential clearance issue when returning the arm back to stow or for sample delivery. Well spotted smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 25 2011, 03:37 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 5221

I do see a dust devil at one point; at least that's what I think it is? Nice touch.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jun 25 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 3511

Is a certain direction and distance from Curiosity expected of the landed descent stage, besides "far away" ?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.