Closed TopicStart new topic
MSL Cruise Phase
nprev
post Nov 26 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Okay, we're off and running! Please post all comments relating to MSL's transit to Mars here.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Nov 26 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Guests

Attached Image

The live footage of the first couple of kilometers of the cruise looked really good... smile.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 26 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

Oppy, here I come !
Waiting for post launch conference now!

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Yeah, that was indeed a beautiful sight to behold, all right. smile.gif

Now the waiting begins.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 26 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 172

smile.gif ... and we just had champagne at home near Paris to celebrate it, because of many known friends involved in the MSL mission... and also because, in France, we share the ChemCam experiment with the USA. Long life to MSL / Curiosity !
As we used to say in France : BRAVO to the MSL Team and CHAMPAGNE !!!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Nov 26 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (climber @ Nov 26 2011, 05:07 PM) *
Oppy, here I come !
Waiting for post launch conference now!

Waiting for that, when will it be? - Soon? - On NASATV they have a "tweetup" atm...

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 26 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Oersted @ Nov 26 2011, 05:34 PM) *
Waiting for that, when will it be? - Soon? - On NASATV they have a "tweetup" atm...

They said 2 to 3 hours after launch!!! Guess they were much precise on MSL trajectory tongue.gif

Edited: got the answer! It'be at 18.30 eastern today in another 10 mn!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Nov 26 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 133

They just started showing the title card for the post-launch news conference, so I'll guess it will start in a few minutes.

EDIT: Starting right now.

EDIT2: Not much news. Trajectory right on the money. Two way communications established. All temperatures and voltages where they should be.

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
sgendreau
post Nov 26 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4937

EDIT2: Not much news.

No news is good news for a long while now, I guess. Counting down till August 6!

+Quote Post
dmg
post Nov 26 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2392

Anyone know why the telemetry pickup from the launch vehicle via TDRS was so spotty?

+Quote Post
MarsEngineer
post Nov 26 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 661

No news is good news indeed!

We are watching cruise stage temps (most look great) - we had to turn one heater off because it was getting a tad warm. A few other things we are watching and learning about. Nothing like real telemetry. Otherwise very boring! Boring is good.

I am happy that everything is so darn nominal (knocks on wood). I am getting the "shift handover' summary from the ops flight director now. Nominal. Nominal. Nominal. (even the word makes me sleepy.) (But I am getting off-nomially sick of too many peanuts. Normally we have one jar but today there were at least three being passed around the cruise MSA. )

We will try to keep things boring until Aug. We still have oh so much to do - Test the final EDL flight software, test/finish the final surface software, there are more bugs still to uncover no doubt.

We may do the spin down to 2 rpm tomorrow (per "nominal" plan - that word again). Still talking about it. May want to wait for the temps to settle down first.We will have to do TCM-1 one of these days (first trajectory correction maneuver). We have weeks but it would be great to get it done sooner than later. Lots of cruise checkouts to do too.

Did you enjoy that launch as much as I did? It is very surreal to see stuff that you have had your hands on being pushed up and up into the sky like that, knowing it is not likely to return to Earth any time soon.

By the way, perhaps someone has mentioned this, Peter and I had your miniaturized names and signatures put on the back of the rover (next to the camera targets). If you were a Martian with very very good eyes you would be able read 12 million names and many thousands of signatures simply by leaning over the rover and reading.

-Rob

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 26 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #12

Tanks Rob, I was browsing like mad to get any news first hand... And here you are, always keen to inform us! I get very excited during final pool when I heard Peter T saying "Spacecraft's Go"! Very emotional indeed!
Thanks again...and now I know where's the best place to get those so great boring news!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Nov 26 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1602

Bravo to all the teams involved, JPL, ULA, NASA, KSC and thanks for a beautiful day!!

From now on, I will let my nails grow in expectation of the Mars landing next August; the last EDLs I remember - close to eight years ago- I ate them all the way to the blood.

+Quote Post
Pando
post Nov 26 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #14

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (MarsEngineer @ Nov 26 2011, 02:51 PM) *
No news is good news indeed!
Did you enjoy that launch as much as I did? It is very surreal to see stuff that you have had your hands on being pushed up and up into the sky like that, knowing it is not likely to return to Earth any time soon.
-Rob

Thanks for the insider info; it's a fantastic day to see a next gen rover being launched successfully and on its way to Mars.

Next August is going to be really exciting.

I just hope you guys removed the lens cap before launch...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 27 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Rob, thanks very much for taking the trouble during this busy time to give us this peek! smile.gif

Go have one on me after the shift, and may the next 8.5 months be boring indeed!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.