Closed TopicStart new topic
UMSF - Server Switch 10th & 11th May
djellison
post May 9 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This one's a few decades old. A really really REALLY badly done coat of blue paint is the developers idea of improving a building that should have been demolished years ago.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 9 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #17

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Ah, yes, developers...everybody's favorite people... rolleyes.gif

The new LA projects are basic concrete gray mostly--a couple are pale yellow in accordance with Southwest US architecture. The latter might have been a better choice.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 10 2008, 03:25 AM
Post #18

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ May 9 2008, 11:32 AM) *
You do know the countryside smells of poo? That's all there is. Livestock, and poo. I spent the best years of my youth in the countryside, most of it standing in, on, or near...poo.

Nah, the agriculture near me is vineyards, and they don't fertilize them with that any more. Did I mention the dark skies?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post May 10 2008, 04:47 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

Dan, good luck on your house move. I will envy you for your dark skies biggrin.gif
Toronto is almost as bad as LA.

Dough,
I am hoping, as all the rest, on a smooth transistion. Being in the in the IT business, I know that even the best laid plans
may not go as planned smile.gif

Robin

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 10 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 15

Yes, good luck to you, Doug on the transfer. I have fingers and toes crossed that nothing will go wrong. I'm sure your by-now-vast experience with the Invision software will let you bring UMSF back online with no ill effects. (However, I'm already beginning the trembles, the first symptoms of the deliriens tremens that will pile on me full force in the tenth or eleventh hour without UMSF...)

And my heart goes out to you, Dan. I moved about 18 months ago, and while it was an urban move (from one city location to another), about 80% of it was accomplished over a period of six weeks, consisting of load upon load of boxes, transported a dozen miles in a truly tiny Subaru Justy. We had to have made more than a hundred runs before we ever even thought about renting the truck for the major furniture on Moving Day.

Sorry to hear that you're going to have to downgrade to DSL. It's better than dial-up, to be sure, but the speed you get is so dependent on your distance from the "central office" that it's truly a crapshoot whether or not you'll get tolerable service. I wouldn't recommend satellite internet yet, though -- last I heard, most of them still require you to upload via a dedicated dial-up telephone line, with only downloads available through the dish at broadband speeds.

As for rural areas being covered with poo -- in the U.S., that's sort of variable. Major livestock farming over here tends to be concentrated into blocks. You can have hundreds of square km with nothing but plant farming (corn, wheat, soybeans, sorghum) anywhere in site. Some farms will maintain a small amount of livestock on a primarily agricultural farm, but that livestock doesn't amount to much in comparison to the cornfields. (Of course, a relatively modest-sized pig farm, no matter how small a percentage of its county it may take up, is still going to make a very strong impression on anyone who happens to be downwind of it on any given day. Trust me, I know. I grew up in central Illinois.)

So, while you can *always* find poo out in the country, here in the States you can usually avoid it pretty easily -- if you watch where you're walking.

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post May 10 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 133

After firing "dig" at several nameservers it seems I've found the new box and it's working too smile.gif

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 10 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #22

Founder

Well - the transfer is done. Currently, the DNS hasn't refreshed to my ISP yet - so I'm viewing via a proxy that uses a path that has got the new pointing right. I can't reliably test the site in full until I can navigate 'naively' but I think everything should just about be working.

Doug

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post May 10 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 133

Just add the new server's IP address to the local hostfile and things should work fine. That's how I got in here.

Testing adding an attachment. This is just a console log of me going through several levels of nameserver with dig to find the new server's IP address.

Attached File  digging.txt ( 4.09K ) Number of downloads: 1756

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 10 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #24

OK -- it's about ten minutes since I noted in the lifeboat blog that Comcast doesn't have the new IP associated in DNS yet, and here the forum popped up. So it's propogated out this far.

Looks good, Doug!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 10 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #25

Must be propogating out pretty fast -- control panel says there are currently 71 people on the forum, 10 members and 61 guests. That's a pretty normal number for a Saturday late morning, here (late afternoon over on the other side of the pond).

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 10 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #26

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Got it!
First attempt half an hour ago pointed me to the old site.
Er..., I suppose I'm posting at the new server, right? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 10 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #27

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

All's well here too... good to be back! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post May 10 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 590

Wow. I'm impressed how snappy it is now!

--Greg

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 10 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #29

Founder

Yup - if you can post, you're on the new site. The old one now has a closed message.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 10 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #30

Response times for pretty much all functions are noticeably faster here, Doug.

This joint is jumpin'!

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.