3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Politics and Manned Space-flight
lyford
post Sep 6 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

I was very active over on the Bad Astronomy forum before it merged with Universe Today.... and before mer.rlproject.com even existed. bautforum has some very good people there, but it is too big for my tastes.

I would submit that the EVA section in a way serves a greater purpose for the board than the Manned section - I do think it is a good thing to allow members to build a sense of community in ways other than mission speak.... I know I have benefitted not only from the knowledge imparted on this board, but the humor and humanity shared as well in the Chit Chat section.

As one who called for an area to discuss policy and strategy many moons ago (as in months not Galilean satellites), I would be sad to see that go. I was asking for thread to program design: engineering tradeoffs, long term exploration strategies, mission piggyback opportunities, etc, but this had I guess some political overtones in the Better Faster Cheaper section.

I still am in awe of the signal to noise ratio of this board, and it has as much to do with the enforcement by the moderators - which keeps good people coming back to post.

Second the props to nasaspaceflight.com, but in my limited time I choose this board over many! (Sorry Slashdot.....)

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 6 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 15

And, hey -- this just gives me more impetus to get moving on my moribund blog. Now when I want to discuss space history and such, I can use that to motivate myself to go blog...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 6 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 530

Oh, speaking of, there was an excellent space history blog on on of the recent carnivals-of-space... [searches]
http://altairvi.blogspot.com/
(Since other outlets are being mentioned)

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 6 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 5 2008, 02:22 AM) *
Secondly - the politics rule is staying - and is to be enforced even more strongly than ever before.

I definitely welcome that, [political comment removed - Admin]

--Greg

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Sep 6 2008, 04:58 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1376

UMSF and NSF are like two peas in a pod, in my opinion. They compliment each other very well.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
Bernard
post Sep 6 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 591

thanks Doug
I think you are absolutely right

+Quote Post
PFK
post Sep 6 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4121

QUOTE (Shaka @ Sep 5 2008, 09:18 PM) *
Forget about BBQs; we need to see this lair in all its gothic splendor, accompanied by a soundtrack of suitably blood-curdling moans!

This is what Kubrick would have made of it smile.gif
[attachment=15566:Warroom.jpg]

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 6 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15

Gentlemen! You can't fight here! This is the War Room!

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
David
post Sep 6 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 56

I've begun to suspect that Doug takes my presence on a thread as evidence of the thread's senescence -- being the most "civilian" of any of the posting members of UMSF (=not a space scientist; not an image tech), as soon as I start posting something on a thread, he knows that the thread has lost any scientific or technical value it might have had and it's time for him to shut it down.

At least it just seems to me that, over and over again, as soon as I post something to a thread the thread disappears -- I don't suppose anyone else has the same experience.

unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 6 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #25

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (David @ Sep 6 2008, 06:54 PM) *
being the most "civilian" of any of the posting members of UMSF (=not a space scientist; not an image tech)

We can wrestle about that... wink.gif
I guess I'll win...man...I am known to see abysses where they're not... tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Sep 6 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (David @ Sep 6 2008, 12:54 PM) *
...as soon as I post something to a thread the thread disappears -- I don't suppose anyone else has the same experience.

I have. laugh.gif
Or, sometimes, it's just my post that disappears. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 6 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #27

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (David @ Sep 6 2008, 06:54 PM) *
I've begun to suspect that Doug takes my presence on a thread as evidence of the thread's senescence --

Utter nonsense. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're not a person who's posting I 'recognise' on the forum. Shaka, Centsworth, Ustrax, Stu - I know what I'm going to get when I see their name. Sometimes it makes me cringe, sometimes it makes me laugh. When it was ol' Bruce - it usually made me cry. But I've not built that sort of (for what of a better phrase) 'posting style profile' for you. You're certainly not a member of the esteemed 'I've got my own thread in the admin section' club. ( and no - I'm not telling everyone who we do have one for )

So I thought I'd look at your past posting with a simple search. A significant portion of your recent posts have been in the manned section, or about the pluto debate, or spectacular rule break in starting a thread about a hearing Griffin was at. So basically, yeah, if the majority of your posts are in a section of the forum that is troublesome, or about a subject on the 'not allowed' list - surely you should expect many to end up closed or culled?

Oh - and someone needs to put the admin team faces on that military conference room photo. But put party hats, streamers, and beer bottles on the table for added authenticity.

Doug

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Sep 6 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 618

...and perhaps the heads of some late lamented "guest" posters in jars of formaldehyde. laugh.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 6 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #29

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 6 2008, 08:48 PM) *
a person who's posting I 'recognise' on the forum. Shaka, Centsworth, Ustrax, Stu - I know what I'm going to get when I see their name.

Huuuuum...looks like I need to change my modus operandi... cool.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
David
post Sep 6 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 6 2008, 07:48 PM) *
Utter nonsense. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're not a person who's posting I 'recognise' on the forum.

Nor would I expect Doug to. It was a joke, with my tongue placed firmly in cheek. (And the joke only works because I know that I'm a pretty obscure poster.) In fact, I'm surprised that Doug bothered to take the time to look me up -- that's going well above and beyond the call of his duty. But his response more or less validates what I was saying -- by the time a non-scientist like me gets around to posting on a "popular" thread, it's probably well past its sell-by date. If Doug hasn't used my participation as an index of thread sourness, he might well consider doing so for the future! smile.gif

or spectacular rule break in starting a thread about a hearing Griffin was at.

I'd appreciate being informed of my 'rule breaks' at the time they occur, rather than a year or two or three later. Whatever this thread was, I have no recollection of starting it, or of any subsequent administrative response (which I think I would not forget; I recall less "spectacular" instances where I was only very tangentially involved). I certainly apologize for any violations of forum rules on my part, and I am reasonably sure they could only have occurred through ignorance of the rules on my part.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.