Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Hubble shots of Neptune (and map)
S_Walker
post Jul 13 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4979

To commemorate the 1st anniversary of the discovery of Neptune (in Neptunian years) Hubble released a series of images recorded on June 25-26 2011 depicting the entire cloud surface of the planet over one rotation. Neptune HST 2011

I created a simple cylindrical projection skin using these images that can be used in some planetary programs (such as WinJUPOS) using these images. Feel free to use the attached image if you'd like.
Attached Image

Here's a link to the globe rotating:
Neptunian Day
Enjoy,

Sean Walker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 13 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 150

Nice work, Sean!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 13 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I love it Sean! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post Jul 13 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Thanks!

by the way, all the clouds are in their proper positions; the map has 0-degrees at left. It's a simple matter to change it to put 180 at left, for those who prefer that convention. I wonder if the team shot red data, rather than near-IR. I'd like to make a "true" color skin someday.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 14 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (S_Walker @ Jul 13 2011, 10:53 PM) *
I wonder if the team shot red data, rather than near-IR. I'd like to make a "true" color skin someday.

The "green" color is apparently F631N (red) filter so that answers your question - although it's not exactly an ideal color filter as it's narrowband. The question then becomes whether they actually shot something in the green range and based on my experience with previous Hubble obs, I don't think so. For reference, here's one older observation with WFC3 which did take green and the other two filters are the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post Jul 15 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Excellent Gordan!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 08:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.