51 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
dvandorn
post Feb 15 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Hey, guys -- as with Sherbert, I was just giving my impression of what we're seeing from the distant images. Ceres does look lumpier than I expected from this distance, and I'm not the first here who has made that observation. Obviously, as distance decreases, we will know more and more of the truth of the matter. And also, as has been stated here, if we couldn't speculate at this point, it wouldn't be any fun... biggrin.gif

As for Enceladus, I was looking with tired eyes, I guess -- and relying on Wikipedia being consistent in how it presents information, which is always dangerous. Before I wrote that, last night, I checked and Wikipedia said that each was about 500 km wide -- except that, upon a further look this morning, it was giving a diameter of Enceladus and a radius of Ceres. And, stupid me, I read them as being the same measurement. But, ultimately, my bad.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 15 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #332

Member No.: 4270

I thought Vesta looked oddly lumpy before we got closer, so I'm definitely reserving judgement on that for later.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
FOV
post Feb 15 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #333

Member No.: 5800

Even poor lumpy Vesta is described as a proto-planet by the Dawn mission. Compared to asteroids seen up close by s/c, Ceres does not look like them. Can't wait for the next 2 sets of images, the added detail will help us see past the mirage created by lighting effects on not enough pixels.

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Feb 15 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #334

Member No.: 7390

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 15 2015, 09:59 AM) *
Hey, guys -- as with Sherbert, I was just giving my impression of what we're seeing from the distant images. Ceres does look lumpier than I expected from this distance, and I'm not the first here who has made that observation. Obviously, as distance decreases, we will know more and more of the truth of the matter. And also, as has been stated here, if we couldn't speculate at this point, it wouldn't be any fun... biggrin.gif

Yes, the danger of speculating. For instance in the attached 2/04/15 photo, Ceres looks much like a hot air balloon where the bottom portion has had a small amount of air let out. The crater at the southern pole helps with the visual. It just *seems* that the southern hemisphere of Ceres is less round than the northern hemisphere. Whether that is real will be answered in the next few weeks.

I've also noticed that a lot of the enhancements are making the brightness of Ceres appear more uniform than the original non-enhanced images. That difference in brightness may be due to the viewing angle or may be because of surface differences. It may not even be real. But, again, a few more weeks and that question should be answered and a whole lot more questions will need to be answered.

The fun of arm-chair exploration...

Andy
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 15 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #335

Member No.: 6780

Here a first, very tentative version of a map towards (east-west) inclination data:
Attached Image

It's based on a map of estimators E[X] of the expected frame number of the light curve (as function of the frame number) for each 0.25°x0.25° longitude/latitude square, the light curve interpreted as a probability density function.
The goal is to find out the phase shift of the light curve for each lon/lat position, since the phase shift should be correlated to the east/west inclination.
There are still several issues. I've applied a hipass filter and a stretch to the raw estimator map to compensate for systematic errors in the model.
Be carefull with interpretations, since processing artifacts are likely.

Taking the issues into account, there appears to remain a diagonal chain of at least four craters from center north, eastward.
This may indicate, that the northern hemisphere is also heavily cratered. But thus far I don't see features similar to the pair of huge craters south of the equator.

I think I'm now near the limits of what I can squeeze out of the OpNav3 sequence with reasonable effort.
Next processing attempts with the new sequence.

+Quote Post
illexsquid
post Feb 16 2015, 05:58 AM
Post #336

Member No.: 4162

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 13 2015, 03:11 PM) *
Statistically, if other cratered bodies are anything to go by, there should not be a dichotomy in terms of what portions of Ceres were hit by large impactors and what portions were not.

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Feb 14 2015, 02:25 AM) *
I don't think either that such a dichotomy would make much sense

I hope it doesn't come across as patronizing to point out that what we have thought should be true has, so many times in this golden age of planetary exploration, been completely invalidated by what is actually out there. Little Miranda, for instance, has no business being anything other than a cratered lump, yet there those amazing coronae are. In a few weeks we'll doubtless have a clearer idea of what to argue about, but in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the front-row seats to unfolding history. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 16 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #337

Member No.: 5221

Here's what I'm expecting: a unique body with some similarities to other objects of the same size, but also many important differences!
Maybe that's vague enough? rolleyes.gif
We'll go through the same speculation roulette wheel with Pluto soon enough; might as well get some practice in.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Feb 16 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #338

Member No.: 624

Am I missing something or are we not waiting for the RC1 images? Or can I stop checking this site every four and a half minutes. The waiting is tortuous!

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 16 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 5221

Yep; all waiting. Open tab on the Dawn twitter page.....

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 16 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #340

Member No.: 7310

The previous release (as well as at least one more) was at around 14-15 UTC. That's more than two hours ago now. I don't think there has been given any guarantee that the images will be released today, but the day is still young in the right time zones. *crosses fingers*

--------------------

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Feb 16 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #341

Member No.: 7390

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Feb 16 2015, 11:26 AM) *
The previous release (as well as at least one more) was at around 14-15 UTC. That's more than two hours ago now. I don't think there has been given any guarantee that the images will be released today, but the day is still young in the right time zones. *crosses fingers*

Federal holiday in the U.S. today. I wouldn't expect any release today.

Andy

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 16 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #342

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (alk3997 @ Feb 16 2015, 06:42 PM) *
Federal holiday in the U.S. today. I wouldn't expect any release today.

Andy

Ouch. I actually have the public holidays and the like of many countries on my calender, but I never bother reading them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 16 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #343

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Steve G @ Feb 16 2015, 06:17 PM) *
Am I missing something or are we not waiting for the RC1 images? Or can I stop checking this site every four and a half minutes. The waiting is tortuous!

I've waited for 45 years to see Ceres up-close... I can wait a few days more... smile.gif

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Feb 16 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #344

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Feb 16 2015, 03:03 PM) *
I've waited for 45 years to see Ceres up-close... I can wait a few days more... smile.gif

Plan is for a tuesday release but that might be held up a day or two. the process is rather involved, at multiple levels of the project and NASA HQ to make sure that the images released are properly processed annotated and described. all rather complex, but the folks who help us do our job need to do theirs!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 17 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #345

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I split the posts about airbrushed maps into a dedicated thread to save them getting lost here.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=7974

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.