Closed TopicStart new topic
Phobos-Grunt
Alex Chapman
post Feb 4 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 1223

QUOTE (mps @ Feb 4 2009, 08:49 AM) *
A interesting article indeed. I think that the Universe is most surprised by the fact, that there are Russian Mars rovers collecting dust and waiting for better days. Actual flight hardware? It's hard for me to believe that. Maybe they are talking about prototypes?

I don't find it too hard to believe that the Soviets designed rovers for Mars and even got as far as building flight hardware. When the old Soviet Union broke up and then Mars 96 failed on launch everything was just shelved with no money for the existing programs. What is hard to believe is that they might be thinking of going to the expense of launching a rover that's been in storage for 10 years or so and probably less capable than Sojourner. Lets all not forget that with all their attempts the Soviets have never had a Mars lander thats really worked.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 6 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #212

Guests

Probably some of us read the story of a Russian Biological experiment on ISS, well now it looks like that those bloodworms could be carried on Phobos Grunt as stated by Oleg Gusev

http://www.nias.affrc.go.jp/anhydrobiosis/...d/e-taisei.html

Well I guess they'll have to consider the probability of contaminating Mars' moon by introducing terrestrial biology to Phobos huh.gif
As it's a sample return mission, they'll have to keep the sample and the bloodworm containers well separated ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Mar 18 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #213

Guests

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/phpBB2/...&start=1095

According to Novosti Kosmonavtiki work on the Chinese subsatellite has been completed...

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Apr 8 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #214

Guests

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr09/8527

Russia to delay Martian Moon mission to 2011. I hope this is not true mad.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 8 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #215

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I am not sad about this. Given the rocket switch and all the complexity of this mission, the "launch on time, ready or not!" attitude seemed dangerously reminiscent of the Mars 4-7 and Phobos 1-2 missions. Also, this should allow a Metnet precursor mission to ride along.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Apr 8 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #216

Guests

Yes, but if they don't launch this year, they may never launch. People are waiting to see the next giant leap, the new projects that will inspire people working in the space industry. The public is getting bored because of all these delays.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 8 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #217

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Right, but better to let them get a little bored than to have a catastrophic failure. Besides, there is no comparable mission in development that would upstage it between then and now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 9 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #218

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 8 2009, 05:57 PM) *
Right, but better to let them get a little bored than to have a catastrophic failure.

Fully agree, too many missions have been lost in the past due to time-pressure with Mars96 as the ultimate example, the whole Phobos-Grunt situation was too me starting to smell like a repeat of Mars96. Better delay 2 years and take the time.

It is a pity these things tend to get more and more crowded with experiments and more and more ambitious. Just a 'repeat' of the original Phobos mission with a close approach and/or 'landing' on Phobos would already have been a big jump ahead.

I still believe in the original metnet idea, that would be a mission which is 'in reach' without too much futuristic hardware and too big a budget and which could deliver a lot of information and better understanding of Mars. It is a bit of a pity that now everybody seems to like to start building big sexy rovers and forget about those simple small metnet landers...

+Quote Post
remcook
post Apr 9 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #219

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Don't worry, MetNet will be back, maybe sooner than later.

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post Apr 9 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #220

Member No.: 4691

I think the public gets bored shortly after a mission starts, we can see the value of the long term results and the importance of each new mission. A failed mission from having to rush and make a deadline is so damaging and the need to assure success requires a two year delay if needed. pancam.gif

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Apr 9 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #221

Member No.: 4334

I'd much rather have a 2011-launched success than a 2009-launched failure; still, I was rather hoping that a successful sample return from Phobos might kick up plans for more ambitious Mars missions from the US and maybe Europe.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 17 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #222

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Nice pic of a mockup.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
andrea
post Apr 26 2009, 05:43 AM
Post #223

Member No.: 4202

This article is not too positive:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0904/25russia/

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Apr 27 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 4334

So there's still no official statement of the delay?

How reliable is it: is it just rumors at this point, or should we believe it? It seems from the article that it's just one person's speculation (admittedly someone who should know, but politics could be involved...)

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post May 5 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #225

Guests

Russia refutes rumors that Phobos-Grunt will be delayed

http://www.roscosmos.ru/NewsDoSele.asp?NEWSID=6142
Roscosmos just announced that the information about delaying the mission Phobos-Grunt to 2011 is false. Everything is on track for launch this year.

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.