Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn data in the PDS
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2012, 05:01 AM
Post #31

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Here's a page I built to browse the Vesta approach data. It's a heavy download; I should probably split it into smaller pages but for now it's easier to keep in one big page. I figured some of you might find this useful.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/daw...n_approach.html

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #32

Administrator

Too tired to do anything very insightful with the data, but here's an animation of a limb survey toward the end of the Survey Orbit phase.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 16 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #33

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Oh for a little bit of panning about...sometimes I hate reaction wheels rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #34

Administrator

I have not yet seen a *single* color global mosaic. As far as I know, the only way to get a higher-resolution color global view than the 100-ish-pixel ones from way early in the approach phase is to do it the hard way: build a shape model, create global color and albedo maps, reproject things back out to a simulated view. It's making me absolutely crazy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 16 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #35

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (Sarunia @ Nov 15 2012, 01:49 PM) *
.... i love you image with exaggerated colors.

Thanks!

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 06:16 PM) *
I have not yet seen a *single* color global mosaic. As far as I know, the only way to get a higher-resolution color global view than the 100-ish-pixel ones from way early in the approach phase is to do it the hard way: build a shape model, create global color and albedo maps, reproject things back out to a simulated view. It's making me absolutely crazy.

It's not the only way, nevertheless it's difficult.
BTW, thanks for that huge gallery, it's very useful.

Another glimpse from my planned blog entry - southern mountain in red-infrared view:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #36

Administrator

I would be very grateful if you could do that one in approximate true color. I want to update my "all asteroids visited by spacecraft" poster and do it in color this time. Fortunately I won't be hampered by there being no color global photos of Vesta because Vesta is so big that if I tried to put the whole thing on it, you wouldn't see most of the others. So I'm only planning to have it peek over the edge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 16 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 4057

I haven't that one in "true" colors, but I have this one (which is similar) in filters 7, 2, 8 (centered at 653, 555 and 438 nm).
Based on spectra, Vesta is red object, so this is probably close enough to true colors.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #38

Administrator

Thank you! And here is another index page, to the Survey phase data. And I have now split the Approach and Survey pages into sub-pages to avoid bringing Firefox to its knees.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/daw...awn_survey.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 17 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #39

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 05:16 PM) *

Yes, that's the way to go I think. And that's exactly what I'll probably do unless a shape model gets released within a not too long time (not likely to happen I think).

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Nov 17 2012, 07:27 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 12:16 PM) *

Your blog post today discussing this problem mentions that the Vesta imaging team is working on a detailed 3d model “of this lumpy bumpy world” that is not likely to be released publicly soon. It’s also my understanding from past posts that Vesta's topography is being mapped for the possibly separate purpose of “mapping,” not just the surface, but the density and distribution of Vesta’s entire mass, and combining this information with delicate Radio and Doppler effect measurements, all with the goal of “obtaining a subterranean” 3D map of the dwarf planet’s interior and also an accurate 3D map of the gravity environment around the planet, for navigation and other purposes.

Is this a unitary 3D mapping project? Or is their little overlap between the work needed to create a 3D model needed for the visual "planetary taxidermy" described in your current post, and the work needed for subterranean visualization and the mapping of the gravity field.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 17 2012, 11:54 AM
Post #41

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

And now I suddenly remember that already more than a year ago (!) Tayfun Öner was creating preliminary but remarkably good 3D/shape models of Vesta:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=176794
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=177432

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 17 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #42

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

You might want to take a look at this regarding shape files..

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/DAWN/kernels/dsk/

+Quote Post
Sarunia
post Nov 17 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 6134

This shape is from Dr Robert Gaskell produced after the survey orbit.
As i remember, this shape use the old system coordinate before the first change (Claudia as prime meridian) by Dawn Team.
I made (year ago) a conversion for cmod file (I choose cmod because i think it is very easy 3d file structures to read) here:
http://patzawa.perso.sfr.fr/Download/Astro...que/Mesh/Vesta/

But even with shape i have a problem to build small mosaic Vesta rotates very fast and condition of illumination change as well.

+Quote Post
Sarunia
post Nov 17 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 6134

My quick attempt of projection to the shape model.
View of Rheasilvia with FC21A0003510_11207035045F1F and FC21A0003511_11207035630F1F:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59CyNAuSD8c

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Nov 18 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 1364

QUOTE (machi @ Nov 16 2012, 07:57 PM) *
I haven't that one in "true" colors, but I have this one (which is similar) in filters 7, 2, 8 (centered at 653, 555 and 438 nm).
Based on spectra, Vesta is red object, so this is probably close enough to true colors.

I think you're quite close. Here's what I get for the "true" colors of Steins, Lutetia, and Vesta.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.