Reply to this topicStart new topic
Water plumes over Europa
vjkane
post Dec 28 2014, 04:18 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 351

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Dec 25 2014, 08:24 AM) *
Just to enlarge on this, the Cassini Phase A report in 1988 clearly shows the degree of interest, declaring Iapetus and Enceladus the two icy satellites of particular interest, noting (section 3.4.2)
'The strange appearance of Enceladus surface and the location of the ephemeral E-ring may be a coincidence, but there is a strong probability that they are connected in some manner, possibly through current eruptive activity on Enceladus'

Yeah, I blew it on this one. I was focused on the contrast in level of activity of Enceladus (which I think (corrections welcome!) was not expected) with the possible level at Europa. I remember being at JPL for one of the Voyager flybys when I believe I first heard the idea that Enceladus might have some volcanic idea was discussed.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 28 2014, 05:24 AM
Post #92

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Nobody's keeping score, man. smile.gif

If I could pick one theme for exploration of the Solar System to date it would be "expect the unexpected".

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 28 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 6336

Not plumes, but another matter about Europa, signs of plate tectonics though the word that comes to my mind is ice shear. Regardless of what term to use, this explains surface features of Europa.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Jan 2 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 4350

No confirmation for plumes yet:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/...rs-are-missing/

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 20 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 4270

NASA to Hold Media Call on Evidence of Surprising Activity on Europa
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-...vity-on-europa/

NASA will host a teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Monday, Sept. 26, to present new findings from images captured by the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope of Jupiter’s icy moon, Europa.

Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 22 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Sep 20 2016, 03:44 PM) *
NASA to Hold Media Call on Evidence of Surprising Activity on Europa

The headline has intriguing hints. Watery plumes were seen in the past, but appeared to be intermittent. If they had another burst of activity comparable to those seen in the past, it would not be "surprising." So what is up?

It is also hinted that the observations were made during a unique observational opportunity. Europa doesn't have seasons, so the only kinds of unique opportunities that I can think of would be eclipses and transits (not that unusual) and stellar occultations (unusual). The latter would allow, probably, better observations of composition than could be made from reflected sunlight.

Jupiter and Ganymede were predicted to occult a 7th-magnitude star on April 12, but Europa was not. Perhaps the plume did? Europa was slightly north of the Jupiter-Ganymede line of sight on that date, so that's what I'm betting on: That the plume was detected at a significant distance from Europa, perhaps even several Europa radii away.

However the evidence was gained, what could be unusual? The plumes could perhaps have been much more active than in the previous observations, occurring in more places other than the south polar region, or be much larger, or perhaps the composition reveals something more than what was seen last time. If it was that April 12 occultation, then the size of the plume would be part of the answer: It would be monstrous compared to the previous observations.

That's all the detective work I can muster until Monday.

+Quote Post
B Bernatchez
post Sep 26 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 5589

Water plumes detected by Hubble: http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-h...ers-moon-europa

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 26 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #98

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Hot from Twitter:

" Emily Lakdawalla Retweeted

Tanya Harrison ‏@tanyaofmars · 26m26 minutes ago

Britney Schmidt notes that the idea of plumes from #Europa was proposed during Galileo, but none found at the time. (1/2)"

Actually the first suggestion was based on a Voyager image of Europa - not widely believed at the time, but it was suggested.

----------------
Title: Active Venting of Europa?: Analysis of a Transient Bright Surface Feature
Authors: Helfenstein, S.-P. & Cook, A. F.
Journal: LUNAR AND PLANETARY SCIENCE XV, P. 354-355. Abstract.

Phil
(Hi Tanya!)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Sep 26 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 7991

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 26 2016, 02:19 PM) *
Actually the first suggestion was based on a Voyager image of Europa - not widely believed at the time, but it was suggested.
----------------
Title: Active Venting of Europa?: Analysis of a Transient Bright Surface Feature
Authors: Helfenstein, S.-P. & Cook, A. F.
Journal: LUNAR AND PLANETARY SCIENCE XV, P. 354-355. Abstract.

That's really interesting - from the paper here (from 1984) - http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1984LPI....15..354H - they talk about the Voyager 2 image 20767.37 -

I can sort of make out a diffuse plume, but not a bright spot - do I have the right image? If so, needs enhancing! (this is the crummy jpeg preview version, and North is downwards)

From http://pds-rings-tools.seti.org/opus/#/pla...2_ISS_2076737_N

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 26 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 4489

grabbed the image "c2076737.imq"

false color image

BUT the maybe spot is also aligned with the BRIGHT spot
i would call that optic scatter

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Sep 27 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #101

Member No.: 7991

Hmm, interesting. The paper also compared the same region with an image taken 6 days prior, and found that the bright spot might have been new...

Business Insider has a good view of the recent plumes -

Hubble/NASA/STScI/Business Insider

From http://www.businessinsider.my/europa-water...e-photos-2016-9

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Sep 27 2016, 12:39 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 114

Has a area on europa been narrowed down to the possible activity? I saw no mention of exact area that is thought to be active.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 27 2016, 01:12 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 4489

also see post #75 in this thread
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=207918

and the other image mentioned in the old paper you linked to "c2058143.imq "
there is a little something there but it dose look like tracking motion
-- false color

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 27 2016, 05:45 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 1004

by the way, the full paper of Hubble's observations is here: 91 Mb pdf

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 27 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Sep 27 2016, 02:39 AM) *
Has a area on europa been narrowed down to the possible activity? I saw no mention of exact area that is thought to be active.

They talk of Conemara region

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.