9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
IMG2PNG, PDS/FITS to PNG conversion
S_Walker
post May 24 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4979

Thanks everyone for the help. It seems the images in question are indeed 8-bit png, if I'm reading the actions correctly.
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 24 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #62

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Correct, the input images are 8 bit. But there's one important thing I forgot to mention, "-r". You need to include this when running img2png to get it to calibrate the input files. Like this:

img2png *.img -r

+Quote Post
machi
post May 24 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 4057

Original image from Cassini's ISS can be 8-bit, but if you use img2png with calibration, than output is 16 bit png. Without calibration procedure is output 8 bit png when original is 8 bit image, or 16 bit png, when original is 12 bit image.

BTW, I tried new user-specified calibration procedure on old Voyager images.
It looks, that img2png accept well my calibration files, but new version can't read and convert imq files (old version has no problems with them).

--------------------

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post May 25 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 4979

Thanks everyone for the help. Works great now.
Emily, I realize cosmic ray hits wouldn't go away with calibration; I'm so used to my own deep-sky imaging where multiple sub exposures are combined to both increase the signal, as well as average out CR hits; same goes for my own planetary images taken with my camera and telescope. Not as used to putting planet images together with single exposures.
I was hoping the faint "venetian blind" artifacts would be removed with calibration (horizontal bands that are barely above the background counts), but alas, it's not to be.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 25 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (S_Walker @ May 25 2011, 03:39 PM) *
I was hoping the faint "venetian blind" artifacts would be removed with calibration (horizontal bands that are barely above the background counts), but alas, it's not to be.

Yeah, the 2Hz banding is hard to remove as it's not predictable. I don't think even the imaging team has a good solution to this. Basically involves advanced filtering of the image (helps if you have "black" areas around targets of interest) and is therefore not part of the standard calibration procedure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 26 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #66

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (machi @ May 24 2011, 10:25 PM) *
BTW, I tried new user-specified calibration procedure on old Voyager images.
It looks, that img2png accept well my calibration files, but new version can't read and convert imq files (old version has no problems with them).

That's weird, converting imq files works perfectly on my end, both with and without a calibration file. Are you using the most recent beta version? If yes (or if the most recent version does not work either) please post the error messages (if any) that appear plus a screenshot similar the the one posted by S_Walker at the top of this page (or, using copy-paste, the text from the command prompt window).

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 26 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 1345

OK so...

New img2png programs unzipped - check
Cassini calib "Index of /volumes/COISS_0011/CALIB" calib.tar.gz unzipped and put in C:\\ directory - check (did I need to use the V2 version instead?)
moved mottlemap_hack.img into c:\calib\dustring folder - check
put img file and lbl file in same folder as img2png_new.exe - check
command script run - looks same as above - check (using -r option):

Attached Image

but png file is jet black (N1652854565_1.IMG):
Attached Image

Ran on another file (W1652951881_1.IMG) got noisy picture:
Attached Image

Did run OK on Galileo image.

Did I mess up the Cassini calibration files somehow?
(These are both coming out as 16-bit PNG's)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 26 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #68

Part II:

Looked at log files. Needed to download instead the "2011_v2" volume instead. Did that. Modified the ".ini" file to point to the nested calibration files".
Tried it again, got same result as above.

Screenshot of log files show that the "c:\coiss_0011_v2\calib\offset\nacfm_so_p5.img" filesize is wrong (also WAC version)? The files show in my c:coiss_011_v2\calib\offset" directory as an 8K file.

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 26 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #69

IMG to PNG GOD

I wonder if the calibration volume didn't get decompressed correctly. If you use WinZip to decompress you have to be careful (I don't think this has changed in recent WinZip versions). I don't know about different decompression programs. See this message for details.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 26 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #70

Thanks! I'll try that this evening! I used the WinZip defaults when I unpacked the calibration data.

(To turn off the TAR file smart CR/LF conversion it is in the WinZip "Options/configuration/Miscellaneous/other" box.)

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post May 26 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #71

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ May 26 2011, 02:57 AM) *
That's weird, converting imq files works perfectly on my end, both with and without a calibration file. Are you using the most recent beta version? If yes (or if the most recent version does not work either) please post the error messages (if any) that appear plus a screenshot similar the the one posted by S_Walker at the top of this page (or, using copy-paste, the text from the command prompt window).

Here it is.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 26 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #72

IMG to PNG GOD

The issue with the IMQ files has now been fixed and I have uploaded a new version.

The problem was that the IMQ files have at least two different header 'variants' and I hadn't noticed this. The new version checks the headers more carefully than the old version does (this is to avoid misidentifying some files). It didn't recognize the Voyager Neptune headers but in contrast, e.g. Voyager Jupiter was OK. I don't think there are more variants of the IMQ file headers but cannot rule it out completely.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 27 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #73

Awesome! It now works for me! Whoo-hoo!
(Bwa-ha-ha!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post May 27 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #74

It looks, that it's now working fine. Thank you Björn!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 18 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #75

IMG to PNG GOD

The IMG2PNG beta version discussed in recent messages (in particular here) has now become an 'official' version. There are no significant changes from recent versions of the beta so it may not be necessary to upgrade it. In contrast, I recommend this new version of img2png for anyone using the old version, especially if there have been any hints of problems.

See http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/utils/img2png for more information.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.