Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
hendric
post Mar 21 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #721

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Yes, the descoping that lost Dawn the magnetometer really hurts now. But if it was lose the magnetometer or lose the mission, the choice is easy. Still sucks though.

Radar just wasn't necessary with what we knew of these objects. If we knew now what we knew 10 years ago, of course we'd fly a different mission now.

If the white spot is confirmed an active vent, does that place Ceres ahead of Europa and Enceladus now? Ceres has a benign radiation environment and a potentially much shorter cruise with chemical rockets and/or direct destination ion propulsion. I think a Discovery mission at least with magnetometer and higher resolution cameras is feasible, with a separately funded lander.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 22 2015, 04:20 AM
Post #722

Member No.: 4489

from my post # 679
the EARLY shape file

the highpass image is the top 10% frequency of the image
and it is normalized 0-255

those that have not already extracted the data out of the cubesphere plate model
ceres_opnav5_512.txt.gz ( cubemapped 512x512 per face of the cube )

i have a isis3 demprep'ed cub
Ceres.DEM8ppd.cub.zip
32 bit float in meters of radii ( 0 to 360 long)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZYAd08tZ...iew?usp=sharing

but remember this is NOT official so ......

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Mar 22 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #723

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (hendric @ Mar 21 2015, 04:40 PM) *
...I think a Discovery mission at least with magnetometer and higher resolution cameras is feasible, with a separately funded lander.

How about another ion drive mission, carrying magnetometer plus radar (and of course an optical camera), with nuclear power. Spiral out, stop at Ceres and one or two other asteroids, then on to Europa. Perhaps survey a few Jupiter Trojans on final approach to Jupiter. Perhaps use a VASIMIR drive to cut travel time.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Mar 23 2015, 07:14 AM
Post #724

Member No.: 1563

TBH I think it's public percception and funding that is more an object to such a follow on mission - Ceres will need to turn out to be the Europa of the inner solar system to get such a followup. Of course, it might do yet....

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 23 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #725

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Interesting work with the DEM everyone. It made me think about the bright spots again. I remembered that there is a crater on Iapetus, Johun, that has a central ridge, rather than a central peak:

Attached Image

The DEM seems to suggest it, though again how real that is... It would explain why there are two bright spots: rather than having an ice/salt-rich central peak, the two ends of a central ridge would instead be ice/salt-rich.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
illexsquid
post Mar 24 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #726

Member No.: 4162

The problem with that comparison is that Johun is decidedly oblong, so that the "central ridge" is still indeed central with respect to the crater walls. The images of the bright-spot crater show it to be much more circular; while the brighter of the two spots is central, the dimmer is decidedly closer to the wall. Not saying it couldn't be an offshoot of the main bright spot, but it doesn't appear to be the endpoint of a "central ridge".

We'll see soon.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 24 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #727

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No need to focus on the shape of that crater, though. Check out King crater on the Moon, circular with a very prominent two-pronged ridge of a central peak. It's the basic concept that is important here.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Mar 24 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #728

Member No.: 6336

On the origin of Ceres, which have been mentioned earlier in a few posts:
The idea that Ceres might originated somewhere else than the current asteroid belt is connected with the Jupiter migration hypothesis.

"As the planets migrated, they stirred the contents of the solar system. Objects from as close to the Sun as Mercury, and as far out as Neptune, all collected in the main asteroid belt. Full text from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 24 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #729

Member No.: 4489

that "ridge" in the DEM is 100% pure synesthetic

it is a ARTIFACT from image processing
you can see this very easily in the mesh when compared to the image

+Quote Post
Ken2
post Mar 24 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #730

Member No.: 7370

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Mar 20 2015, 02:40 PM) *
As for the comparison with the lunar crater, I'd keep in mind that it is clearly resolved while the bright spot on Ceres isn't (it spans less than one pixel).

Just speculating here while we wait for more detailed images: We obviously don't know the bright spot size with saturated pixels - but the last dim image looks unsaturated (doesn't max out the pixel intensity - though we have no way of knowing if the image was rebalanced - however since only one pixel was maxed out it doesn't really matter if it was rebalanced or not - all pixels (except possibly one) weren't saturated - though some could still have some bleed effects.). So I would say in this image it almost for sure is bigger than one pixel

In any event the smaller spot is clearly not saturated in the dimmest 2 images and only in adjacent 2 pixels in the middle image. The roughly 5x5 pixel size of the smaller white spot would indicate that the brighter spot is most likely even bigger (assuming a similar albedo). A roughly 9x9 pixel bigger white spot crater is consistent with observed images and suggests minimal adjacent pixel bleed over.

I have annotated a possible crater that roughly fits my hypothesis and consistent with the moon images I previously showed for comparative analog - it will be fun to see how off base this guess will end up being.

White_Spot_Annotated_Crater animated gif - click to animate.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Mar 25 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #731

Member No.: 7310

The official word from the framing camera lead investigator, as quoted on the previous page, is that the brightest spot is not resolved (i.e. it is less than one pixel across in the images). How he came to that conclusion, I do not know. I haven't seen any comment on whether or not they think the dimmer spot is resolved.

Regardless of that, there are now less than 3 weeks left for the 49% illuminated 453 pixels OpNav 7 images - that's going to be good (though, I wonder how quickly images of the brightest spots at that resolution will be made available to us..).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Mar 25 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #732

Member No.: 3995

There could be still-unreleased OpNav 4 and OpNav 5 images -- with different lighting circumstances -- that indicate that.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Mar 26 2015, 01:41 AM
Post #733

Member No.: 3995

In anticipation of forthcoming higher-resolution images, I have summarized the various features that I’m eager to see up close. I'm sure I'm not alone....

1. Bright spot pair (obviously smile.gif ):

Attached Image

2. Piazzi - Area of bright and dark mottling:

Attached Image

Attached Image

3. Large, flat crater with (possible) broad mounds:

Attached Image

4. Mound (?) in crater:

Attached Image

5. Resurfaced, hummocky region (with fractures?). This includes the large southern crater with a modified rim:

Attached Image

I hope to add many more items to the list....

+Quote Post
illexsquid
post Apr 6 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #734

Member No.: 4162

Excellent summary of "the story so far" at Ceres. The bright spots are the clear winners of the popularity contest, though.

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Mar 25 2015, 05:41 PM) *
In anticipation of forthcoming higher-resolution images, I have summarized the various features that I’m eager to see up close. I'm sure I'm not alone....

1. Bright spot pair (obviously smile.gif ):

Attached Image

I hope to add many more items to the list....

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 10 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #735

Member No.: 6780

Dawn, Ceres images 2 to 14 of RC2 sequence pia18920.gif re-projected to simulate a stationary orbit above the bright spot:

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 47 48 49 50 51 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.