Closed TopicStart new topic
Moving south to Victoria
Tesheiner
post Mar 15 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Bye, bye, Erebus!
The journey south has started and I think it's time to start a new thread.

This is a very first estimation of the current position after sol 760 drive, plotted on top of a previous route proposal; I will double-check that once the back-looking navcams are downlinked.

Attached Image
(141k)
(Sol 758 "drive-direction" pancam mosaic)

Edited: I measured the net drive to that point; it's about 31-33m35m.

PS: Algorimancer, your Photogrammetry and RangeFinder Application is simply great!!!

This post has been edited by Tesheiner: Mar 15 2006, 10:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 15 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

Yes, onward bound! I hope Oppy gets Pancam images of the bedrock exposures as she moves away from away from this field of eroded craters. We need to document lateral changes in the Burns formation.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
avkillick
post Mar 15 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 216

Seeing Oppy leaving Erebus is almost as good as seeing it arrive at Victoria (sometime this year we hope)

--------------------
My Open Office Website: http://www.openofficetips.com

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Mar 15 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 218

Wasn't there supposed to be a certain point where the terrain begins to slope to the south and there was to be a "hell of a view" of the plains (and Victoria) spread out in view before us? Where was this to occur in relation to where Oppy currently is? Or am I recalling something else?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 15 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

That's right, but it's probably a few hundred meters ahead.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 15 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (RedSky @ Mar 15 2006, 11:22 AM) *
Wasn't there supposed to be a certain point where the terrain begins to slope to the south and there was to be a "hell of a view" of the plains (and Victoria) spread out in view before us? Where was this to occur in relation to where Oppy currently is? Or am I recalling something else?

As I recall it's near the midpoint between Erebus and Victoria. That should be an interesting point for 360 degree panarama. (Has anyone thought of that?)

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Mar 16 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 365

Interesting horizontal 'layering' in a dune here, I can't recall seeing it so clearly elsewhere(until this side of Erebus):

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KEP0695L0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Mar 16 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 16 2006, 02:49 PM) *
Interesting horizontal 'layering' in a dune here, I can't recall seeing it so clearly elsewhere(until this side of Erebus):

I remember seeing a lot of this most of the way between Endurance and now, but this is probably the most consistent and smoothest example before us. I assume this layering depicts the cyclic changes in weather patterns related to sand deposition. As the dunen get eroded, it reveals the strata created by earlier episodes where dunes get cemented by relatively stable weather and then covered during by episodes of higher sand transport.

The question which I hope someone here could answer, is how long these episodes are likely to be (are talking about episodes separated by decades long weather changes, or much longer changes due to pole procession?) Or maybe this hypothesis is off-base, just a guess...

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 16 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (atomoid @ Mar 16 2006, 10:29 PM) *
I remember seeing a lot of this most of the way between Endurance and now, but this is probably the most consistent and smoothest example before us. I assume this layering depicts the cyclic changes in weather patterns related to sand deposition. As the dunen get eroded, it reveals the strata created by earlier episodes where dunes get cemented by relatively stable weather and then covered during by episodes of higher sand transport.

The question which I hope someone here could answer, is how long these episodes are likely to be (are talking about episodes separated by decades long weather changes, or much longer changes due to pole procession?) Or maybe this hypothesis is off-base, just a guess...

Opinions seem to vary between slow and very slow movement - I'd buy even s-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-w-e-r. Precession of the poles and similar global changes strike me as being about right, but I'm sure there are other opinions.

BTW, I noticed an interesting article in New Scientist today regarding crater distribution and so forth - I'll post in the LPSC thread rather than here, though!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Mar 17 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 678

QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 16 2006, 03:49 PM) *

I've ever seen this sort of "layering" dune. On my website, there is a color example of this dune (who are everywher around the landing site) :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 17 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 17 2006, 08:47 AM) *
I've ever seen this sort of "layering" dune. On my website, there is a color example of this dune (who are everywher around the landing site) :

Thinking about it, the 'layering' may be an artefact of the psaltation of the particles involved, with - putting it crudely - bigger lumps simply failing to climb the hill.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 17 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #12

Oppy drove some 50m southwards (heading ~160º) on sol 762 and is currently at aprox. 25m of the outcrop on the center of this navcam pano.

Attached Image
(195k)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 17 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Need to see some of the look-back-Navcams to really call it, but the driving actually looks a lot easier than I was expecting around here ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 17 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #14

Seems they are simply following the "valleys". The dunes in this area have a mean heading of 160º-170º, so that's the direction they are driving.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Mar 17 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #15

Guests

Alot of the image is missing, but do these dunes look alot smaller than the ones Opportunity encountered on it's way to Erebus? I thought they would be much bigger.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RXP2370L2M1.JPG

+Quote Post

99 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 11:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.