Post-Conjunction at Home Plate North, Getting ready to leave
Tesheiner
post Jan 8 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #91

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jan 8 2009, 03:47 AM) *
Next move: Left or right? Time for a poll? laugh.gif

Based on the imaging plan I would say East.

01784::p0665::03::10::0::0::10::0::20::navcam_5x1_az_108_3_bpp
01784::p0765::01::10::0::0::10::0::20::navcam_5x1_az_288_1_bpp
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jan 8 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #92

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 8 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Based on the imaging plan I would say East.

01784::p0665::03::10::0::0::10::0::20::navcam_5x1_az_108_3_bpp
01784::p0765::01::10::0::0::10::0::20::navcam_5x1_az_288_1_bpp

There is a potential passage about 7m to the east. It was seen on Sol 768 IIRC, it might be traversable. We'll see.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Ipparchus
post Jan 9 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #93

Group: Members
Member No.: 4055

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jan 8 2009, 05:37 PM) *
There is a potential passage about 7m to the east. It was seen on Sol 768 IIRC, it might be traversable. We'll see.

Paolo

Paolo, when is Spirit going to move again, east? What distance can she rove on each sol with the current watt/hour numbers wheel.gif ? Has the MER team got a plan to find a ramp and drive on HP?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jan 9 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #94

QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Jan 9 2009, 03:40 AM) *
Paolo, when is Spirit going to move again, east? What distance can she rove on each sol with the current watt/hour numbers wheel.gif ? Has the MER team got a plan to find a ramp and drive on HP?

All very good questions, for which I have no answers yet. There will be a pow-wow today discussing these issues but I will be on a MER-B shift today so I am not sure I will be able to attend. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 9 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 98

New Navcam pan for Sol 1784. Here once again is my crude stitch (QuickTime 3.6 MB)

+Quote Post
Doc
post Jan 9 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 3978

And a panorama for quick browse.

Attached Image

The ground sure looks like its tilted towards the plains... watch your step wink.gif

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jan 9 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #97

Guests

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...89P1914L0M1.JPG

I think that we have less dust than before. What do you think?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 9 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #98

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

In some places less, in some places more - I think we're seeing redistribution rather than clearance here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 9 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 197

But a good sign nonetheless. Now if we get a few more "redistribution" events it might redistribute some of the dust to the ground.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 9 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #100

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Oh yeah. We're at 'cleaning time' in terms of season - we're less than 20m from the last SIGNIFICANT cleaning event location. All the signs are positive.

Doug

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 10 2009, 06:30 AM
Post #101

Member No.: 116

I noticed a partial deck pan from sol 1783, so I thought I would do a quick stitch.
CODE
Sol   Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
----- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
01783 p1914.02 5   0   0   5   0   10   navcam_5x1_deck_LEYE_3bpp

The result is a bit distorted for some reason, but interesting to study. It appears that there are several populations of dust, silt, and sand grains on the deck. I obviously cannot see the grains themselves, but I am hypothesizing (speculating) from the colors and patterns I see. We observe light, medium, and dark colored patches of sediment on the deck. There clearly has been a lot of moving and sorting of grains on the rover's horizontal surfaces over the past months. The wind-oriented fingers of sediment flowing around minor obstructions such as the bolt heads to the left of the mast are scary. That is some pretty heavy buildup, and without the aid of saltation, some of it might be pretty difficult to remove in typical "dust cleaning events."

Looking at this scene, I can't help but wonder if this WH3 location, below the very edge of HP has allowed larger saltating grains hopping across Home Plate's surface, to hop onto our desperate rover as it clung to its life-giving, north-facing slope all winter and into this spring. I guess I am not certain what the prevailing wind direction is here as the seasons change, so I probably shouldn't speculate about such things.

I suppose I should edit this post to note that the areas of the heaviest buildups are mostly away from the solar panels.

Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 10 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #102

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Spirit's new view of Homeplate... (3d pic)

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jan 10 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #103

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 9 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Looking at this scene, I can't help but wonder if this WH3 location, below the very edge of HP has allowed larger saltating grains hopping across Home Plate's surface, to hop onto our desperate rover as it clung to its life-giving, north-facing slope all winter and into this spring. I guess I am not certain what the prevailing wind direction is here as the seasons change, so I probably shouldn't speculate about such things.

We did not have much of a choice, unfortunately. :-( It is possible that the orientation of the rover could have caused additional deposition of particles, but no matter where we could have parked, the orientation of the rover would not have been significantly different relative to the direction of the prevailing winds. In addition, the rover deck was for a good portion at a higher elevation than HP. If saltation was really the process in play here, I am misunderstanding the scale of the height and length of the hops.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jan 10 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 16

The Bonestell pan is finally all down! here is my version.

And a Mars bar to the first person to spot what is missing from this pan that is in (I think) every other large 360 degree pan from the rovers.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 10 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #105

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

A plesiosaur..? laugh.gif

Seriously James, that is truly stunning.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.