2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Airbrushed Maps
Steve G
post Feb 16 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 624

I rarely make comments but I am on this site every single day. Though I admire the global mapping efforts made from spacecraft images, I dearly miss the airbrush maps we had in the seventies by J.L. Inge and P.M Bridges. I wish we'd go back to those.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 16 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"I dearly miss the airbrush maps"

Totally agree, they were works of art of the highest order, not just copying photographs but reconciling all available data into one high value graphic. However, as my dear old buddy "This is it" used to say on the construction site I worked on many years ago, " 'Em days is gorn".

Well, not quite gorn, but almost. Most people, and certainly those working under the constant high pressure of mission operations, will never have the time to do that now. Only people who can step aside from that world and spend time on the work can make maps like those today. I might mention Ralph Aeschliman as an example.

http://ralphaeschliman.com/id22.htm

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 16 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6780

I could never ever do this quality manually.
But it's good to have a quasi-standard as a goal.
Retrieving inclination, altitude and albedo/color maps should be feasible, although really hard with OpNav3.
Besides naming, these seem to be the basic ingredients for the maps.
There should be ways to teach a computer how to combine these ingredients into a nice map. Something interesting to work on. Thanks!

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 16 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Feb 16 2015, 12:10 PM) *
There should be ways to teach a computer how to combine these ingredients into a nice map.

I was pretty happy with the merged MOC/MOLA map that went into the 2001 National Geographic map of Mars: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/pro...nation-mars-map

The airbrush maps were works of art but I question if they were objectively better than a modern topography/albedo digital product.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 16 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Yeah, I think that what made those airbrushed maps so special and different from photographic products is that they represented topography as much as (or more than!) they represented albedo. The shaded-relief MOLA maps are really nice products. Mattias Malmer's 3D modeling work in the Rosetta thread is a fine example of how topographic data is essential to that realistic feel of a map; and the reason Bjorn Jonsson's work on the Dawn Vesta data looks so good is because he's projecting albedo images onto topographic data. I look forward to having the Dawn topographic data set at Ceres that will allow us to make shaded-relief maps. And now I want to see shaded-relief maps of the major moons of the solar system -- I can't recall that I've ever seen anyone produce those.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 16 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #6

"The airbrush maps were works of art but I question if they were objectively better than a modern topography/albedo digital product."

I don't think they were better than what we have now, but they were far better than the kinds of digital mosaic or map that could have been made in the 1960s and 1970s, when people were working with Lunar Orbiter or Mariner 9 images.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Feb 16 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1828

Digital mapping techniques really took off in the early 1980's. Phil is right in that it wouldn't have been nearly as good, but I think some of it could have been done earlier to some degree but part of it also was that processing power was also much weaker and much more expensive then. The Mariner 9 digital maps were difficult to interpret so airbrush remained viable. the last official airbrush map was Triton, i believe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTN
post Feb 16 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 563

One of the main reasons I kept my 3rd ed of The New Solar System (Beatty/Chaikin) after getting the 4th was the airbrush maps in the back: as well as planets it has moons of Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 17 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Steve G @ Feb 16 2015, 01:56 PM) *
I rarely make comments but I am on this site every single day. Though I admire the global mapping efforts made from spacecraft images, I dearly miss the airbrush maps we had in the seventies by J.L. Inge and P.M Bridges. I wish we'd go back to those.

I feel like I must direct your attention to this post from Machi:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=214485

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Feb 17 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1102

The genre is alive and doing extremely will with Machi's map... As many said when he posted: Wow!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 22 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #11

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 16 2015, 07:56 PM) *
And now I want to see shaded-relief maps of the major moons of the solar system -- I can't recall that I've ever seen anyone produce those.

Luckily shape models/DEMs have become available for several of Saturn's satellites. See http://sbn.psi.edu/pds/archive/shape.html - a true goldmine for anyone interested in shape models. It's simple to produce shaded relief maps from these, the only problem is that of course albedo features will be completely missing. Here is a shaded relief map of Dione produced from the Gaskell shape model:

Attached Image

The sun illuminates everything from the west at an elevation angle of 30 degrees.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Feb 22 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 117

For those who are interested, here are a couple of photos that I took at the Voyager 1 Saturn encounter in November 1980, showing Jay Inge (with Pat Bridges and Carl Sagan) making the first airbrush map of Mimas, a day or two after the flyby, using mylar lat/lon grid overlays to locate features.

Sadly, Jay died on April 1st last year. He was a good guy...

John

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 23 2015, 04:01 AM
Post #13

Great photos.

The real value of airbrush maps over photomaps or DEMs is that they could be made when we didn't have good photomaps or DEMs. Mariner 9 mapping of Mars is a good example - there is far more information in the USGS airbrush maps than can be got out of the raw photomosaics (most people have never even seen those mosaics) as the images were so difficult to use and topography was almost non-existent. I agree that today's moon and mars maps can be done much better with GIS and modern datasets, but that wasn't true in the 'old days'. And it's not just the old days. I'm contemplating a new map of asteroid 243 Ida. We have great images for a small area of it, maybe 30%, but the rest is so poorly seen that it will be most effectively mapped by artistic shaded relief than by the very poor DEM in the low resolution area. Maybe in the summer...

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Feb 23 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6783

Great photos indeed!

What an amazing futuristic looking bracelet the artist has on his left wrist.

It reminds me of when I try to tell my teenage kids about the difference between computers BCd (before cd) and now, AcD. (Don't get me started on RAM)

Quite remarkable things were accomplished with the tech available, many of them (including maps) are still comparable with what is achievable now.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Feb 23 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 655

Photos as time capsule, these are just sublime!

It's seven minutes past five, and no-one looks like they even want to think about going home.
Who has a pair of scissors and a ruler on their desk at JPL these days?
Smoking in the office??
Departure-lounge-type TV monitors on the wall
Digital wristwatch!!

Wonderful, thank you John!

Edit: got any more??

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.