Reply to this topicStart new topic
Erebus Ho!, Sol 533 Mosaic and Phil-O-Vision
djellison
post Jul 26 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Some L2/L7's came down and I've done a whole lot of channel-mixing to get something fairly nice.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/o533_71.jpg (600kb)

And because it highlights the features ahead so brilliantly - i've done the interesting section in 500% Phil-O-Vision

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im...o533_71_pov.jpg (60kb)

Who wants to play 'match the feature' with that and MOC imagery wink.gif

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chris
post Jul 26 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 135

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 26 2005, 10:10 AM)
Some L2/L7's came down and I've done a whole lot of channel-mixing to get something fairly nice.

Doug,

You to yourself an injustice. Fantastic.

Chris

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 26 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Guests

Lovelly picture Doug. After all this waiting, I hope Erebus turns out to be more impressive than Vostok lol. I've often wondered where Opportunty might be right now if it hadn't got stuck... although I suppose it could have got into trouble on a dune further down the line.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 26 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Founder

Looking at the Phil-O-Vision image I thikn Erebus could actually be a nice panorama - several feet of outcropping it looks like. A strange, new, and unusual vista I am sure smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 26 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 105

i've done the interesting section in 500% Phil-O-Vision

Yes! You can already see dunes and ?outcrops? of the dark "basal unit" within Erebus.

I've often wondered where Opportunty might be right now if it hadn't got stuck...

I think that getting stuck was inevitable. Oppy was travelling uncommanded at high speed and the conditions/terrain were clearly changing before she got stuck. The Purgatory incident was a wake-up call; it could have been worse.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jul 26 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 285

I'm curious - is everyone else seeing this (and many other Meridiani panoramas) as nearly black? I have to enhance the intensity in order to actually see what's going on. Is this an aesthetic choice, to match a perceived expectation of the actual lighting at Meridiani, simply a matter of preserving the intensity from the original images, or do I need to adjust my monitor?

Incidentally ... with the intensity enhanced, nicely done, and it's good to see Erebus. smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 26 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Founder

It's far from black on all the systems I use...CRT's at work ( two different ones ) LCD on my laptop, and LCD for my home machine

Perhaps you need to fiddle with contrast/brightness?

Doug

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 26 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here:

Attached Image

I compare views of Erebus from sols 448 and 533. The first was my original posting, the second cribbed from Doug.

My impression is that on 448 we could see a bit more to the south, as if the rover was then up on a slight rise, and now the view is from a slightly lower area. This may explain why we have had so much difficulty seeing anything. I have always thought the etched terrain should be very interesting and scenically attractive, but it's one of those things you don't see until you are right on top of it.

As for matching this to MOC images... I'm not ready to do that yet. Got burned with Home Plate!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PDF: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 26 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #9

It's far from black on all the systems I use...CRT's at work ( two different ones ) LCD on my laptop, and LCD for my home machine

Perhaps you need to fiddle with contrast/brightness?

Monitor settings have always been a problem with digital viewing. Perhaps we ought to have a "monitor calibration" page onsite; here is the calibration page from my site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~woharris/cal.htm

Doug, PM me if you'd like to use any of these materials here.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jul 26 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jul 26 2005, 11:00 AM)
Monitor settings have always been a problem with digital viewing.  Perhaps we ought to have a "monitor calibration" page onsite; here is the calibration page from my site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~woharris/cal.htm

Doug, PM me if you'd like to use any of these materials here.

--Bill

Thanks Bill, that did the trick. My contrast was off. Much better now smile.gif

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 26 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 26 2005, 03:51 PM)
I  compare views of Erebus from sols 448 and 533. ...My impression is that on 448 we could see a bit more to the south, as if the rover was then up on a slight rise, and now the view is from a slightly lower area.

Phil, I think you're right! In fact, this explain also why I wasn't unable to make decent vertical projection from Sol 531 partial panorama... wink.gif :
Attached Image

looking to tracks divergence, I things that in that Sol Oppy was descending...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 27 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #12

Here is an interpretation of Doug's o533_71_pov.jpg image. I used PaintShopPro to set the grey, white and black points of the image to remove the "mars dust" color bias from the image. In this way one can see compositional differences in the surface materials by "dusting".

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jul 28 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 107

According to the latest flight director update Opportunity will only be 150 meters from Erebus crater after todays drive (SOL 536)!

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/flightdir.cfm

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
skybum
post Jul 28 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 264

Heck with Erebus: Victoria ho? Is anybody else thinking that the little 5-6 pixel rise immediately to the right of Erebus looks a bit hazy, as if from distance, and is in exactly the right direction...?

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 28 2005, 06:20 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (skybum @ Jul 28 2005, 05:28 AM)
Heck with Erebus: Victoria ho?  Is anybody else thinking that the little 5-6 pixel rise immediately to the right of Erebus looks a bit hazy, as if from distance, and is in exactly the right direction...?

If you look to traverse map, this is impossible:
Attached Image

From actual position (in red) Victoria should appear about 40deg east of Erebus, approxiametly between the two red marks in this stretched Doug's panorama:
Attached Image

Probably, Oppy is too far (and even in a depressed region) to see Victoria rim... the feature you highlight is the Erebus rim...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2024 - 02:05 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.