Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
elakdawalla
post Aug 27 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #631

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Sorry! Attached it to the original post...the file is there so I am not sure why our website isn't serving it properly.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 28 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #632

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

It works for me and is quite informative! thanks Emily

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 28 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #633

Member No.: 152

Thanks for that Emily, those plots are useful. One thing that might make the "Oppy Journey" plot even more useful would be markers at a few milestones along the route, such as Erebus, Concepcion, or something similar. (Victoria is pretty obvious.) With the understanding that this would be only crude, since the samples don't coincide exactly with the route.

Also, would it be possible to extend that plot with the few data samples along the projected route we've been following? Of course that's only projected, but it would give us some idea of what's to come.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 28 2010, 07:07 AM
Post #634

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 28 2010, 07:00 AM) *
Also, would it be possible to extend that plot with the few data samples along the projected route we've been following? Of course that's only projected, but it would give us some idea of what's to come.

I think that's exactly what's on the first graph (named "Opportunity's topographic journey from MOLA shot data") in Emily's article. Check the diamond-shaped plots.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 28 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #635

The diamond path "future path across MOLA tracks" extends to total distance 22km, which is our current odometry. So does that mean the horizontal axis ("straight line distance") is as-the-Martian-crow-flies from landing? Perhaps I was stumped by the coincidence that that crow-flies distance at Endeavour is the same as the current odometry?

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 28 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #636

Member No.: 682

Thank you Emily, this give more perspectives and more feeling that we're on flat terrain.
Assuming we'll ever climb Cape York, the "Distant vistas" will better appear but I don't think we'll feel to be on the rim of a crater looking down inside. From Mola's we'll be then around -1400 and the lowest point inside the crater I could find is -1971 but it's near the other side of Endeavour and may be not visible from Cape York. We'll have "-1600's" in the near distance but I don't think we'll have the same feeling of been on a summit like Spirit when she was on the "Everest". Flat terrain it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 28 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #637

Member No.: 197

Hope I don't sound too clueless, but what do the unlabeled lines represent?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 28 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #638

Administrator

The straight-line distance is along orbital tracks -- Opportunity's wheels have rolled much more than that as she's twisted and turned and rolled up to targets. I'll post a map guide if I have time this weekend.

Dan, I only turned on the labels for two representative ground tracks because to turn them all on totally covers the opening view with numbers and slows down your computer. Open the folder "MOLA shot points" (click the plus sign next to it) and turn on as many labels as you like. I've sorted the tracks in order -- all the ascending (yellow) tracks from west to east, followed by all the descending (orange) tracks from west to east.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 28 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #639

Member No.: 197

This is really awesome Emily. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 28 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #640

Administrator

Fred, maybe this will help.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 28 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #641

Yeah, those look great, thanks Emily.

+Quote Post
alan
post Sep 2 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #642

Member No.: 110

Latest drive topped a local rise and reveals an additional 'horizon' in the middle distance. Could be part of the parking lot terrain. There are some subtle bumps along it or possibly behind it south of the rimshot crater, Cape York?
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 2 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #643

Member No.: 253

Here're some further data I gathered with Google Earth.
Cape York should be in the same line of sight as the crater and spanning 5 deg. to the right. Santa Maria should be 15 deg. left of the crater.

+Quote Post
Bill
post Sep 2 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #644

Member No.: 4798

So, we can see Santa Maria !!!?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 2 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #645

Member No.: 16

No, I don't think so. I'll see what i can do when at home later, but I can't see anything in the raws.

It does look like we can now see part of the parking lot. My gut feeling is that Santa Maria is still below the near horizon (and that the bit of the parking lot we can see is beyond it) So I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop into view any sol now. smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  « < 41 42 43 44 45 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:38 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.