Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix - spring images, HiRISE views of Phoenix after the long, long winter
mcaplinger
post Jan 23 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (vmcgregor @ Jan 22 2010, 02:41 PM) *
For the January attempts, Odyssey was only listening and not hailing.

Is there a source for this information? As best I can tell from this document -- http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstre...4/1/06-1429.pdf -- PHX will never send without receiving, so ODY listening without hailing is useless.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vmcgregor
post Jan 23 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 1381

It's the way the Lazarus mode works. The source is the Phoenix mission team at JPL (originally from Chris Lewicki and Barry Goldstein). The chief telecommunications engineer for the Mars Exploration Program, Chad Edwards, who led the January listening campaign, confirms: "Phoenix's fault mode would have it transmit to any overhead orbiters - without needing to be hailed - during portions of each 2 hr wake-up session (in between 19 hr hibernation periods). We do not need to hail Phoenix to trigger that behavior."

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jan 26 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4338

Assuming Phoenix in Lazarus mode initially goes through a "Goundhog Day" state where it wakes up with a clean slate, tries immediately communicating, runs out the battery, and repeats the next day (instead of trying at various times), would the recent attempts to pick up a signal have coincided with the likely transmit times? What is the local time at the PHX site during the ODY passes?

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jan 27 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #94

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

I don't know the details of the passes, but expect they had a reasonably good sampling of local time. It's around a 5AM/PM orbit, but the polar latitude makes many more times accessible. During the mission, it was occasionally possible to use 3 or 4 consecutive ODY passes (every two hours through the afternoon and evening in that case), and that was for a higher bit-rate than would be in play now.

Hmm. 30 passes in ~3 sols would be all or most opportunities--you could get roughly every hour of the sol, with some resampling, with numbers like that.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 27 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Deimos @ Jan 26 2010, 07:41 PM) *
30 passes in ~3 sols would be all or most opportunities--you could get roughly every hour of the sol, with some resampling, with numbers like that.

Right, but each pass only lasts a max of 7-10 minutes, and I don't know what duty cycle of transmission they were using (since I can't find any documentation that such a mode even existed.) Maybe they send tone for a few seconds every few minutes? Mark, do you know anything about this mode?

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jan 27 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #96

Martian Photographer

Having refreshed my memory, I have a bit more info. The first confirmed lazarus communication was sol 154 in a 5:18 AM pass, lasting about 2 minutes. Phoenix was described as being in a mode of continuous communications attempts over 2 hours or until power runs out. The next sol, a signal was seen at 8:20, but was faint (ODY was low in the sky and the path was long). The next sol, the 13:19 pass worked ( 12 minutes!) giving a record of many, many unsuccessful attempts to wake up and a power state that would not survive the night (again). An early AM pass had apparently showed some sort of signal, too. The last signal was detected (without data) at 157/8:24. After that, it was never clear whether the lander was trying to awaken, and failing; awake at unfortunate times; or had entered a particular (permanently) unrecoverable state. So, I think the intent is constant comm for most of 2 hours, which uses many W-hrs, but it may use <10 minute cycles of shorter attempts.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Feb 23 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #97

Martian Photographer

Rumor has it the second ODY search is underway, with ~60 contact attempts this week.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Feb 24 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 4338

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-063

10 down, 50 to go for this month's campaign.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 27 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #99

Member No.: 4270

Not much ice in the area now.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/...ix20100226.html

Not going to claim certainty on this, but it really looks to me like the solar panels broke off.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #100

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I can read it either way. The fact that there are two white patches just south of where the arrays are would to me at least, infer shadowing by the arrays hiding those areas from sublimation. I THINK I can see something where the arrays should be. I just don't know.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 27 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #101

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2010, 05:10 AM) *
I THINK I can see something where the arrays should be. I just don't know.

Oh for sure.

It's the right-most object's extended distance from the lander and the lack of conclusive shadows from the left and right bright spots that concern me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Feb 27 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 675

Attached Image

I did a 50% Equalize to the lightness component of these images. The Lander now appears very dark and where it would cast shadows there are two white patches (especially noticeable in the rightmost (later) image). I've been looking at a lot of snow this winter and this image looks like frozen precipitation not melting as rapidly in the shadows of the solar panels.

Steve M

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 28 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #103

But remember the sun is moving around the sky such that the solar array's shadows will not stay in one spot. I would not expect their shading to provide ample protection to any patch of ground.

Edit:

Especially if the lander body itself doesn't do this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 1 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #104

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

As the sun gets higher with the seasons' progression, will we get better pictures ?

+Quote Post
briv1016
post Apr 4 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 3982

Third and final communication attempt to begin on April 5th.

Now I'm not sure about the credibility of this source, but according to this article they might be considering a fourth communication attempt in May around the solstice. (Assuming the one next week fails.)

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.