Closed TopicStart new topic
MSL Cruise Phase
elakdawalla
post Jun 19 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #181

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Folks, I will be hosting a "Cosmoquest Science Hangout" Wednesday at 1600 PDT/2300 UTC, with guest Ravi Prakash of the MSL EDL team. I'll ask him to explain EDL in detail with particular emphasis on the parts that are different from MER (and why they're different from MER). The Hangout will go straight to Youtube so if you can't watch live you'll be able to watch the recording right away. Post here if you have any burning questions you'd like me to ask him. My hope for this Hangout is to produce a video that we can point people to if they have lots of questions about EDL and why they're doing this crazy Skycrane thing.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...vi-prakash.html

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jun 19 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #182

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

The 'presentation' in pospa's Post #166 has an excellent graph on page 4 comparing the vertical+horizontal velocities of various spacecraft that made it successfully to the surface of Mars. Wow! In comparison, Beagle and the MERs look like they're bouncing a very long way!

Question: in case something goes even slightly awry during the SkyCrane phase of landing, how much more velocity can MSL take than the 0.75 vertical or 0.5 horizontal 'requirements' referred to in the presentation? Can it take a Viking level of velocity in the drop to the surface? btw, the more time I spend rereading this thread, the less worried I become! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 19 2012, 01:52 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 197

Emily you might ask him to also compare and contrast Viking and MPL/Phoenix as well since they have the powered final descent in common.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 19 2012, 04:56 AM
Post #184

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The MSL descent stage MLE's are infact derived from Viking engines, but with a monolithic single large nozzle rather than a cluster of many smaller nozzles.

The Phoenix descent engines were derived from large RCS thrusters I believe (hence the pulse, not throttle) and were stolen from the '01 lander to be the orbit insertion engines for MRO and had to be replaced on PHX.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 23 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #185

Member No.: 615

Not only 7 Minutes of Terror but another 13 minutes and 48 seconds until the signal gets back to Earth ( to CanberraDSN btw) and we know that the terror is over.

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Jun 23 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #186

Group: Members
Member No.: 675

About 20 seconds in as the narrator discusses how everything has to go perfectly, the image displays the text: "500,000 LINES OF COD3". Beautiful. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 23 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #187

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Well, it's been a great cruise phase! The approach phase begins on 23 June; please post all relevant comments here.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.