Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 22 and after, Digging in Wonderland
fredk
post Jul 29 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #346

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 29 2008, 07:13 AM) *

Thanks for the colour frame, Stu. I'm impressed with the absolute positioning accuracy for the arm: They've put the new set of (16?) rasp holes almost perfectly between the first set of 16. That's sub-centimetre accuracy!

Teck - I've been watching and the sublimation rate at Dodo/Goldilocks has dramatically slowed from the early sols. Perhaps it's reaching an equilibrium, with sublimation matching frost depostion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 29 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #347

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (teck @ Jul 29 2008, 08:44 AM) *
Do you want some sublimation?

Heck, you don't need an animated GIF, that last image clearly shows that the icy parts are deeper now than the non-icy. Check out the shadowing along the edge.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 30 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #348

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (slinted @ Jul 10 2008, 02:32 PM) *
Here's two comparison blinks of Snow Queen, sol 21 - 44 taken from slightly different positions and angles... Some of the changes are clearly real like the moving sand grains... The rest are less clear...cracks, trails of rolling particles, or shadows?:
Snow Queen A
Snow Queen B

Well, this is pretty old news for us folk, but in this new update they discuss the changes between sols 21 and 44:
Cracks as long as 10 centimeters, or about four inches, have appeared. A seven-millimeter (less than one-third inch) pebble or clod not seen there before has popped up on the surface. And some smooth texture on Snow Queen has subtly roughened.

I'm a bit surprized by the cracks claim - my best guess was tracks left by pebbles - we can see some have moved between the frames.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 30 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #349

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 28 2008, 11:13 PM) *
Meanwhile, over in 2D land, poor Snow White is looking really battered now...

Sure is, and if my hypothesis is valid then so will every other dig in this area over time.

Hmm. Going out on a limb here. The North Polar region (Vastias Borealis) is very smooth and quite broad in terms of surface area, while the South Polar region really isn't, except at very high latitudes, and even then it ain't the same. Impact cratering rates would presumably be statistically equal for both regions. There does seem to be a mechanism for autosmoothing of terrain in the north, namely subsurface ice exposure/sublimation/mass repositioning. Does this mean that subsurface water ice is preferentially concentrated in the North Polar region....and, if so, why?

I understand that the Southern Hemisphere is orographically higher than the north, but does a difference of just a few millibars of atmospheric pressure at most make that much of a difference in the behavior of ice sublimation/deposition? The hemispheric dichotomy is puzzling, even considering surface topography. Is there a similar dichotomy in crustal composition between the poles?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 30 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #350

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I'll add another question: how much mass transfer of moisture is there between the poles?

Does Mars have a global circulation or could the water be hemispherically locked somehow?
(i.e. The North has it's water vapor, the South has it's water vapor, and never the two shall mix)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 30 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #351

Member No.: 116

Good question! If I had to guess...we have a planet that evaporates/sublimes CO2 ice and H2O ice at the summer pole, and condenses/freezes those molecules at the winter pole. The atmospheric pressure is well below the partial pressures of those vaporizing reservoirs. Am I over-simplifying the cycle? I am guessing (with fingers crossed), that the poles exchange condensibles.

We've had discussions here regarding frost. I don't have much to say about that, but I did notice the word "frost" appear in association with some sol 60 SSI images. They were described as "SSI Frost Spot of Snow White16AB," "SSI Frost Spot of Winkies & Quadlings16AC," and ""SSI Frost Spot of Nightengale16AD."

There were RGB filters available for these 3 "target" images. Here are the raw jpg RGB composites, with no subjective color balancing applied.

Snow White
Attached Image

Winkies & Quadlings
Attached Image

Nightengale
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 30 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #352

Member No.: 321

I think the scales are so utterly different as to bear no relationship:

The smooth/rough impression comes from MOLA maps, which emphasize difference on the scale of hundreds of meters or more. The soil overlying the ice is centimeters -- we're talking about several orders of magnitude difference.

My take is that the smooth/rough difference between the poles is about a single catastrophic flow event that buried the lower elevations planet-wide in slurry and paved over the cratered highlands.

The subsurface ice at these latitudes is probably something that would seep back in in a whisper of geological time if you removed it and let it emplace itself anew, but not on a scale to erase massive craters and canyons in the ancient highlands.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 30 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #353

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

"I'll add another question: how much mass transfer of moisture is there between the poles?

Does Mars have a global circulation or could the water be hemispherically locked somehow?
(i.e. The North has it's water vapor, the South has it's water vapor, and never the two shall mix)"

According to Read and Lewis (The Martian Climate Revisited) there is a net transport of water from the north to the south. During northern summer some of the water ice of the cap melts and gets into the atmosphere as vapour. this then gets transported to the south where it freezes onto the polar cap. During southern summer water ice in the southern cap does not get exposed (the south is much higher) and so there's not so much water vapour coming back.

But these kinds of theories can change with more data.

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Jul 30 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #354

Member No.: 379

Reminder

Phoenix News Conference
Tomorrow: July 31, Thursday
2 p.m. EDT = 6 p.m. GMT/UTC

According to the NASA TV web site - it's still on

NASA TV Schedule

July 31, Thursday
2 p.m. - Phoenix Mars Lander News Conference - Tucson/JPL (Public and Media Channels)

Jack

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 30 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #355

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Poor "Alice" really got her face pushed down into the dirt by that robot arm, didn't she... sad.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 31 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #356

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Seems like it's time for a new thread; carry on with the discussion over here
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5359

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 22 23 24
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.