Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno development, launch, and cruise, Including Earth flyby imaging Oct 9 2013
Jeff7
post Nov 14 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 180

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Nov 13 2007, 01:43 PM) *
I'll be surprised if it's ever cost-effective to use solar beyond Jupiter, now that the political opposition in the US to RTG-powered vehicles has largely disappeared. Note that there wasn't a peep about New Horizons using an RTG.

--Greg
New Horizons probably didn't get the media fanfare that Cassini did. Cassini was the biggest probe ever launched, going to explore big, pretty, ringed Saturn. And it had 3 RTGs. And it was making a flyby of Earth, which of course brought out the doom-n-gloom crowd. Someone at NASA/JPL would have had to screw up pretty badly to send Cassini plummeting into the ground during a routine gravitational-assist flyby.

New Horizons had one RTG, and it was on a high-speed one-way trip away from Earth. There probably were some complaints (some of the extremists probably think that saying "plutonium" is enough to cause cancer), but they just didn't get much attention on the launch of New Horizons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 14 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #122

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I don't mean to be political here, but I do wonder if some of it had to do with the fact that some of the anti-RTG folks may have realized that if the Clinton administration wouldn't stop a probe with three RTGs that would make an earth flyby, there wasn't a chance in hell the Bush administration would block a probe over one RTG with no earth flyby.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Nov 14 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 528

Back on the solar power for outer planets missions.

From what I understand, the ammount of power produced by solar arrays at Jupiter are practical (for some missions), but solar arrays degrade if they spend too much time in the Jovian radiation belts. Juno avoids this problem because its highly elliptical, polar orbit keeps it out of the radiation for most of the orbit.

Similarly, the furthur out your Jupiter periapsis, the less your total exposure. I think some of the orbiters being conceptualized for the Laplace mission have solar power since they have lower power requirements and stay furthur out. (I could be wrong about this, and the mission will keep evolving over the next couple years during the on going studies).

As for array deployment problems, I don't think it is a good apples to apples comparison to bring up the ISS troubles. Those arrays are huge, and involve a huge number of folds. If you look at ships like Juno, there are only a few panels to be unfolded. That being said, it's true that RPGs tend to have fewer deployment failure scenarios.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Nov 14 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Mariner9 @ Nov 14 2007, 07:07 PM) *
As for array deployment problems, I don't think it is a good apples to apples comparison to bring up the ISS troubles. Those arrays are huge, and involve a huge number of folds.

Hubble's SA1 arrays were much smaller than the ISS arrays, yet the astronauts had to toss one overboard when it failed to retract...

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 15 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #125

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

My whole point in bringing up the ISS array prob was to illustrate that minimizing mechanical complexity for long-duration, rare-window missions is a wise design heuristic. FWIW, I think solar power is certainly a viable option for some Jupiter & even some Saturn missions (though definitely setting hard constraints on feasible science objectives for either destination), but you very well might be talking about ISS-sized arrays or better for any place further out, which just doesn't seem prudent, practical, or affordable.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 15 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 15 2007, 02:16 AM) *
My whole point in bringing up the ISS array prob was to illustrate that minimizing mechanical complexity

That's why RTGs are very robust; no moving parts. Well, unless you're talking Stirling RTGs. I don't know how I feel about the idea of having moving parts like that on long duration missions, even if the RTGs end up more efficient than old designs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mchan
post Nov 15 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Nov 13 2007, 10:43 AM) *
Note that there wasn't a peep about New Horizons using an RTG.

Oh, there was a peep or two from the usual hard core anti-nuke crowd. Google "space_4_peace" w/o the underscores.

Some of their demands so sadly illustrate a lack of any effort to understand what they are saying, e.g., after the Cassini SOI, they wanted Cassini to be redirected to impact the sun to avoid danger of it coming back to Earth. Some of these people would believe that NH was sending plutonium back to Pluto.

There were several anti-nuke letters in the NH RTG EIS (environmental impact statement). Which leads back to the topic of this thread since the EIS discusses alternate power options, e.g. solar, for NH.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Nov 15 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 590

Since RTG's are critical to Outer-planet exploration (at least), I do think it's really on-topic to seriously discuss the things that might limit their use -- even thought that involves talking a bit about.....CUT

..... things banned at UMSF. Sorry Greg. Rules are rules. : Doug

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 9 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #129

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

article at space.com regarding the Juno mission.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 31 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #130

Guests

Here's the merchandise:
http://www.bookstore.caltech.edu/jpllab/sh...p;catalog_id=39
wink.gif

+Quote Post
lyford
post Nov 26 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 124

NASA Prepares for New Juno Mission to Jupiter

WASHINGTON -- NASA is officially moving forward on a mission to conduct an unprecedented, in-depth study of Jupiter....
....The spacecraft is scheduled to launch aboard an Atlas rocket from Cape Canaveral, Fla., in August 2011, reaching Jupiter in 2016. The spacecraft will orbit Jupiter 32 times, skimming about 3,000 miles over the planet's cloud tops for approximately one year. The mission will be the first solar powered spacecraft designed to operate despite the great distance from the sun.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 26 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #132

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Is there any possibility of JunoCam (image of instruments on spacecraft here) getting images of the Galilean satellites of any decent resolution?

Or would that be a bad thing due to the solar panel requirements?

-Mike

[EDIT: Already discussed earlier in this thread (multiple times, best response here).]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
IM4
post Nov 28 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 1172

QUOTE (Juramike @ Nov 26 2008, 06:39 PM) *
Is there any possibility of JunoCam getting images of the Galilean satellites of any decent resolution?
Or would that be a bad thing due to the solar panel requirements?
-Mike
[EDIT: Already discussed earlier in this thread (multiple times, best response here).]

Fortunately, JRehling is mistaken. In fact, Juno's orbit won't be fixed, it will rotate slowly as shown on the picture.
Baseline mission assumes 32 orbits in all. On 12-13th orbit Juno will intersect Jupiter's equatorial plane somewhere near the Callisto orbit, on 20-21th orbit close approach to Ganymede will be possible. In case of the extended mission even Europa can be explored (if only Juno can survive in the radiation belts).
I don't know whether such a "flybys" ever planned, but approaches to Galileans will be certainly much more close than those calculated by JRehling

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 28 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #134

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (IM4 @ Nov 28 2008, 04:02 PM) *
On 12-13th orbit Juno will intersect Jupiter's equatorial plane somewhere near the Callisto orbit,

And will Callisto be anywhere near Juno at that time? An orbit crossing doesn't mean a close encounter.

+Quote Post
IM4
post Nov 28 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 1172

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 28 2008, 04:09 PM) *
An orbit crossing doesn't mean a close encounter.

Yes, but if we have an opportunity for encounter why not make use of it? why not to synchronize orbits?

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.