Reply to this topicStart new topic
Discovery Program 2006 and Missions Of Opportunity
Comga
post Nov 8 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 415

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 7 2006, 01:37 PM) *
Don't you mean, no they're not mutually exclusive?

OOPS! You are right. I did mean that DIXI and EPOCh are complimentary, not mutually exclusive. Running one program makes running the other easier, and there is no need to overlap the observation times.

As for djellision's question:
From what I know, the fuel usage for a few months of observation would be small, and there should be more than sufficient fuel margin for that and the Boethin encounter. IIRC, the maneuvers for Deep Impact used less fuel than planned, and much less than allotted, so there was significant fuel even after the July 2005 course adjustment. Does anyone here have those fuel budget numbers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oren Iishi
post Jan 23 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 955

I'm not really sure where to put this topic but does anyone know if the jammed Stardust camera filter wheel issue has been resolved? And if it isn't fixed yet, will that hinder the proposed Stardust extended mission? Thanks for any replies.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 23 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #108

Guests

QUOTE (Oren Iishi @ Jan 22 2007, 03:07 PM) *
I'm not really sure where to put this topic but does anyone know if the jammed Stardust camera filter wheel issue has been resolved? And if it isn't fixed yet, will that hinder the proposed Stardust extended mission? Thanks for any replies.

Proposers for this AO were advised that the "Stardust Imaging Camera (SIC) filter wheel [was] stuck in the broad-band position." Therefore, proposers had to take this into account when submitting proposals.

As far as I know, this hasn't changed.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post May 23 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #109

Guests

Teaching an old spacecraft new tricks: Astronomer Joe Veverka may lead new mission to comet Tempel 1
By Lauren Gold
Cornell University Chronicle Online
May 23, 2007

+Quote Post
Comga
post May 24 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 415

How woud it be possible for them to target the fly-by so that the Deep Impact crater was near local noon? (All of the animations show it this way.) IIRC, there was still some uncertainty as to the rotation period, which can never be known well enough to pick a "phase" after six years. Do they plan to use the light curve to determine rotation? Tempel 1 is pretty close to spherical, making the light curve very hard to detect. If they were to try this, how much delay or advance could they get for 20kg of propellant?

If they can't target the proper phase or sub-solar longitude, they wil have 50/50 chance of seeing the crater at all. Half the surface is dark.

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Nov 2 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 528

OK, we are now a year after the initial down-select to three proposals. If I recall correctly, oh, sorry... IIRC there were supposed to be about 9 months of detailed study, and then 3 months of review at NASA headquarters.

So any word on when a decision might come down?

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 2 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 530

I seem to recall that all three were approved.

Yup, In July: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19589401
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=4370

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Nov 4 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 528

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 2 2007, 10:00 AM) *
I seem to recall that all three were approved.

No, sorry if I was unclear. The missions of opportunity were indeed approved.

But there were three proposals selected for furthur study for a full Discovery mission: an asteroid sample return, a Venus orbiter, and a lunar orbiter.

I'm wondering what became of those.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Nov 5 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #114

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Mariner9 @ Nov 4 2007, 10:05 PM) *
No, sorry if I was unclear. The missions of opportunity were indeed approved.

But there were three proposals selected for furthur study for a full Discovery mission: an asteroid sample return, a Venus orbiter, and a lunar orbiter.

I'm wondering what became of those.

I recall reading that the selection of the next full mission will be announced in December.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.