4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev166: May 11th - May 28th 2012, Tethys, Methone, Titan
jasedm
post May 11 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Latest looking ahead article is available.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while as we get our first decent look at Methone smile.gif Closest ISS activity is from 4,500km, which should yield images comparable to the best views we have so far of Atlas.

There are also images planned of Tethys' trailing hemisphere from mid-ranges, and of course a close (955km) Titan flyby with specular-reflection searches, and radar swaths at C/A. This is the flyby whereby Titan bends Cassini's orbit 'down' and out of the ring plane for the next couple of years.

I know we can't have it all, but I was hoping for another decent look at Telesto on this rev (Cassini buzzes past at around 11,000km) which would have given us images at high phases and from almost the same range as the flyby in 2005. Never mind, there's another similar-range pass to Telesto in 2015.

Lots to look forward to.

Jase
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post May 11 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 557

QUOTE (jasedm @ May 11 2012, 06:48 AM) *
... we get our first decent look at Methone ...

At last.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post May 11 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Re: Methone, Emily's wish came true....(from 6 years ago on this forum):

"Although I wouldn't call this a "main focus," I would like to see the trajectory studied hard for the opportunity to do a pretty close flyby (say around 2,000 km) of one of the itty bitty moons, and to give the flyby a resonably dense set of observations. The closest Cassini will get to any of those things during the primary mission is 10,000 km from Telesto, which happened on October 11. Hyperion looked so bizarre up close, I'd like to see what one or two of the itty bitty ones -- Methone, Pallene, Calypso, Polydeuces, or Helene looks like from that kind of perspective."

--Emily

smile.gif

+Quote Post
machi
post May 11 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4057

Does anyone know why is imaging from 4,500 km and not from ~2,000 km (closest distance to Methone)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I'm guessing that the relative motion at closest approach might be too high for a target with such a small angular diameter.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 12 2012, 01:12 AM
Post #6

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Or maybe the closest view direction would be very high phase angle? (mostly shadow)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
machi
post May 12 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #7

According to great PS site http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...sinis-tour.html ,
Methone flyby is at modest speed 5.1 km/s, but relatively high phase angle 126°, so I think, that Phil can be right.
But on other side, even high phase angle images are very useful, not only because Methone will be much closer in this case (1861 km), but because of photometric investigations of Methone's surface (regolit roughness etc).

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post May 12 2012, 07:46 AM
Post #8

My guess is that there is perhaps still sufficient uncertainty about perturbations to Methone's orbit, that the further distance ensures Methone falls within frame. (remember the Helene flyby where some the closest NAC frames missed Helene altogether)

Jase

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 18 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 523

Titan's south polar haze layer is certainly starting to look interesting. Judging by these CB2 and BL1 images, it would appear larger particles (judging by the prominent visibility in the infrared CB2 filter as well) are piling on top of the detched haze layer (!?).

--------------------

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post May 20 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4081

Interesting indeed. A bright portion is visible even in the CL1 CB3 images. Using the filters' depth penetration one can build a nice visual analysis of the S Polar haze from Cassini's most recent Rev 166 images.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post May 21 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 627

Methone and Tethys images are here:

Methone - wow!? Smmooth....
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...3/N00189072.jpg

Tethys
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=261595

Craig

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 21 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #12

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Wow. At this resolution Methone seems completely free of craters. Coated with a thick layer of dust or could this small body simply be a 'clump' of dust?

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post May 21 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 627

Probably getting coated by a lot of ice particles from Enceladian plumes? Cool little worldlet.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 21 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #14

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Spectacular! Here's a cleaned-up and contract-enhanced image of Methone. There are real albedo variations across it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
machi
post May 21 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #15

Wow! This must be the biggest egg in the Universe! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.