240 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Route Map
alan
post Mar 17 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

QUOTE (gregp1962 @ Mar 16 2005, 06:15 PM)
Have we, indeed, left Vostok? How far past it are we?

Guestimated positions (based on size of "albert" in pancam images)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Mar 17 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #227

Member No.: 206

Long time lurker, First Time poster. This is truly a great board!

Hey, does this terrain that Oppy is in remind anyone else the "Time of Legends" scene in the movie "Time Bandits", i.e. completely flat as far as the eye can see? laugh.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Mar 17 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #228

Guests

Endurance is just a small bump on the horizon now:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...TAP1607R0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Mar 18 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #229

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 16 2005, 11:08 PM)
Well - Opportunity has done 390 metres in one 3 day period. Given that allowing for stop-offs and days of downlinking autonav data - I think it's fair to say that - flat out with no interuptions - it could do that once every week - so 1km is a 1 month program

Doug

390 metres. I guess that explains a page in the latest month-in-review (February) on JPL's MER site, which is boasting that "Opportunity shattered driving records in February, moving nearly a quarter mile (390 feet) in three sols!."

I guess they meant "yards". smile.gif

390 feet is, of course, a long way short of a quarter of a mile.

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Mar 18 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 193

This is really quite an apology for a stereo pair, since for my lack of decent software I used indecent instead. It's a cross-technique stereo of the western rim of Victoria. Sources: Sunspots's composition of Victoria & Endurance (for the right eye) and this http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r10_r15/im...5/R1500822.html
(left eye).
It's of modest quality, but I think it's really 3-D. Undoubtly anyone here can make better versions with your sophisticated programs.
(I'm having some difficulty getting the image attached - if it doesn't appear please tell me how to do it)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
erwan
post Mar 18 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #231

Member No.: 164

Marswiggle: thanks, i think it's really 3D!

--------------------

Erwann

+Quote Post
Pando
post Mar 18 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #232

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Updated Opportunity route map:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Mar 18 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 107

183 m!!!
New record... Again biggrin.gif

When will Oppy leapfrog Spirits total drive distance? Can't be far from now huh.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Mar 19 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #234

QUOTE (erwan @ Mar 18 2005, 03:07 PM)
Marswiggle: thanks, i think  it's really 3D!

smile.gif
I would be very grateful if someone friendly made a 3D-image of the whole overlapping swath of those originals. (I won't, too tedious with my elementary methods.) It would include the whole west flank of Victoria and portions of the etched terrain to the north as well. A preliminary study of the area suggests to me that the landscape may be rather curious. Very unofficial results:

1) the radial light-dark pattern of the west flank of Vic consists of gently rolling bulges and troughs where the light coincides roughly with the bulges and the dark with troughs - this is revealed also by gullies on the slopes of the bulges, esp. in the NW (See: http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r10_r15/im...5/R1500822.html
)
2) the flank is markedly elevated from the etched terrain at least in NW corner
3) the etched terrain is quite flat and full of N-S dunes in the vicinity
4) the bright edgelines of the rim of Vic are mainly precipices sloping to the inside of the crater below the smoother greyish rim, being mostly steep, partly gentler
5) the westernmost, somewhat angular-shaped reach of the rim is relatively low elevated and gentle-sloping and in my opinion makes a potential ingress/egress point for Oppy, also leading to potential exposures of lower stratigraphic units along the western portion of Vic.

Warning: this is NOT an official science news release but only some dilettantish guessing about something there. I would only be obliged if I became disproven (perhaps not so in the case of total turn-down). mars.gif

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Mar 20 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #235

Well, I made the Victoria west flank 3D after all, so you can see what I mean. But I must admit I'm quite baffled with this image now. Are those landforms true or could there be something wrong with the original images? The 'waves' of the surface are almost too systematically west to east orientated. But still the crater floor is clearly below the surface of the flank. ohmy.gif

It's a cross-technique stereo, as I call it - the left image for the right eye and so on.

+Quote Post
gregp1962
post Mar 22 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #236

Member No.: 66

It's getting exciting. Time for a route map update. Does anyone have one? And, how do you guys know how afr we've gone at a given time. It isn't on the JPL site.

For example, when we got so close to burns cliff, you'd think that NASA would be showing everyone. But, I just learned today we got so close.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Mar 23 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #237

Driving again today. Anyone dare to say how far we have gone in the past few days?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1315L0M1.JPG

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 23 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #238

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Looks like we're getting quite close to the V-twins now..

They are almost line asturn in the first image

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/opp...23P2392L2M1.JPG

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/opp...23P2392L2M1.JPG

Odd filter choice for end-of-drive imaging, usually it's L7+R1 3 x 1 in the drive direction.

things look particularly exciting in the first image looking toward Albert ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
alan
post Mar 23 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #239

Member No.: 110

My latest position guestimate
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Mar 23 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #240

So arrival at Viking & Voyager tommorov by the looks of it?
That thing is really moving ohmy.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.