Here's my version:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 6 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

Yes I have the same problem with Chrome... a prominent green infecting all images, other browsers are fine. My Flickr timeline looks like Mars has been successfully terraformed.

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Oct 6 2016, 12:28 AM) *
There might be something up with the color profiles - they display fine in Photoshop and Microsoft Photos, but then I get some green color banding when I view them in Chrome. Any ideas?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 6 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 5 2016, 03:09 AM) *
I need to do more work to match the Mars colors, I know.

Are you using the MCC_MRC 16 bit or MCC_MRD 32 bit products? The MRDs are supposed to be radiometrically calibrated products, while the MRC are only the detector readout DNs. The former *theoretically* shouldn't produce brightness variations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I haven't successfully opened the 32-bit data -- IMG2PNG doesn't open it and when I try it in Photoshop, it's all saturated. So I've been working with the 16-bit images.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #20

Administrator

OK, the entire dataset is now available here. I zipped every image to save on bandwidth consumption. Blog entry about it here.

I downloaded the "level 3" data, which is demosaicked and allegedly calibrated.

I'm very curious to find out if different demosaicking methods produce sharper results. Here is one image (the global view with the Tharsis montes and Valles Marineris), in its raw format, and here is its label. Can any of you do better than the mission's version, which used bilinear interpolation for demosaicking?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 8 2016, 01:43 AM
Post #21

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 6 2016, 11:46 PM) *
Can any of you do better than the mission's version, which used bilinear interpolation for demosaicking?

Somewhat disappointingly, this comparison seems to be difficult or impossible since inspection of the images reveals that the official images (both the 16 and 32 bit versions) have also had additional processing applied to them. In particular, they have been smoothed, possibly flatfielded and I suspect the brightness may have been adjusted with a (slightly) nonlinear stretch.

Here is a crop showing a comparison between the official version (top) and a version I did using IMG2PNG to output a debayered image using adaptive smooth hue (bottom) for demosaicking.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The bottom version looks sharper but it's also a lot more noisy. This is especially clear if the images are sharpened.

I will be releasing a new version of IMG2PNG that handles these images properly tomorrow (Saturday).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 10 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #22

Administrator

Given Bjorn's observations above, I thought it would be valuable to go ahead and download all of the raw (undebayered) data. I've now done this and posted all the raw images to the MCC page. I'm working on running it through the new version of IMG2PNG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 29 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #23

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

There's a new ISRO data release from MOM. Emily's working on it but I note it does include some small images of Deimos.

Attached Image

I'm still pondering which part of Deimos this is (as one does).

I wonder if MOM can be brought closer to Deimos... the anti-Mars side and trailing side have never been seen very well, and a high resolution view of that region would be a substantial scientific advance. If MOM can't do it, there may be hope for this from the UAE's Hope mission (2020 launch), which will have an orbit which might bring it closer to Deimos.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 2 2017, 01:17 AM
Post #24

Thanks to Emily for making the dataset available, looking forward to the next batch!

Here is the first portrait of Mars taken on September 28th 2014, upscaled to 64 Megapixel & processed...

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #25

Administrator

Here you go. Go nuts, everybody!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 3 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #26

Thanks for doing such an amazing job making this accessible Emily.

Here is a 384 megapixel global portrait sequence... [ upscaled & processed ]

Some select 64 megapixel portraits...

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #27

Administrator

You're welcome! Let me know if there's something else I can do that would make those pages even more helpful. I can't guarantee I'll do it, but there's no harm suggesting... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 5 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #28

I can't imagine the material could be presented any better than it is. I loved the context maps also.

In case anyone wants a 2m square print [ 150dpi ] of the 22nd January 2016 portrait...

*update*

Ouch! What was I thinking!?

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 5 2018, 05:29 AM
Post #29

Administrator

Hi folks, I'm still working on providing context, but here is year 3 of the Mars Orbiter MCC data. Nearly all of it was taken at periapsis, within 2000 or fewer km of the surface. This is unfortunate because it's what MCC is least good at -- it's at its best when doing regional imaging. Still, there may be some scope for fun here. Please share anything you produce from it. I'll keep working on more context info and post a blog about it tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Oct 6 2018, 12:45 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 624

I wont embarrass myself by posting any of the images I worked on, but even the really dark imagery has a wealth of detail with just an auto levels click of the mouse.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.