40 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Cape York - Northern Havens, Sol 2780 - 2947
PDP8E
post Dec 12 2011, 01:33 AM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

Here is an animation from the pancam on Sol2801(?)
The IDD is in the frame and then a picture of the rock below (not sure of the feature name)
The filters are all right-eye
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tim53
post Dec 12 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #197

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

Hi Folks:

Because it's a nice round number, or maybe because we have so many overlapping navcam pans in this location, I thought I'd output a 1cm/pixel map of our current (and recent) locations.

best,
-Tim.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Dec 12 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 336

QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 12 2011, 12:35 PM) *
Because it's a nice round number, or maybe because we have so many overlapping navcam pans in this location, I thought I'd output a 1cm/pixel map of our current (and recent) locations.

I think this should be called a splat-o-gram.

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Dec 13 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #199

Member No.: 675

QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 12 2011, 12:35 PM) *
Superbly detailed image! How did you do it?

SteveM

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 13 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 1241

Steve, its all goes together with the right projection mapping software and enough navcam images
But I am pretty sure that Tim P. could have pulled it off just with scissors and elmer's glue rolleyes.gif

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
tim53
post Dec 13 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #201

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 13 2011, 07:19 AM) *
Steve, its all goes together with the right projection mapping software and enough navcam images
But I am pretty sure that Tim P. could have pulled it off just with scissors and elmer's glue rolleyes.gif

I use a special version of our planning software that has my 35 gigapixel georeferenced HiRISE/CTX base map as a background, and projects the Navcam panoramas onto a terrain mesh derived from the stereo. So, rocks and stuff are not only in the right direction, they're at the right distance, too. The terrain mesh falls apart about 20 meters out, on flat terrain, though.

-Tim.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 13 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #202

Member No.: 105

Here is a preliminary Rx21 (an R721 with guesstimated Red channel info) of the IDD site Boesmanskop on Sol-2801, indicated as "post-Brush". I've not been able to match the MI's up with the Pancams, but I think they are near the center of the image or slightly above center. And I can't hardly see the Brushed area, though I've not closely compared the pre- and post-brush grayscales. Hopefully we'll get a few more Pancams over the next few days, so enjoy.

In the meantime, let me toss out my initial impression of the MIs of this site: "drusy vugs".

--Bill
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Dec 14 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #203

Member No.: 675

QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 13 2011, 11:59 AM) *
I use a special version of our planning software that ... projects the Navcam panoramas onto a terrain mesh derived from the stereo. So, rocks and stuff are not only in the right direction, they're at the right distance, too. The terrain mesh falls apart about 20 meters out, on flat terrain, though.

-Tim.
The result is very nice. Any advantage in blending the stereo terrain mesh into a HiRise DTM at 20 meters to extend this process?

SteveM

+Quote Post
tim53
post Dec 15 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #204

QUOTE (SteveM @ Dec 14 2011, 08:43 AM) *
The result is very nice. Any advantage in blending the stereo terrain mesh into a HiRise DTM at 20 meters to extend this process?

SteveM

I can think of a lot of advantages! I sometimes use another program written by Jeff Hall in MIPL to map project the pancam data, which extends these maps out another 20 meters or so, where the pancam data is available. But the project doesn't have the resources to include the HiRISE DTM in the planning software. Curiosity will, however. I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are.

-Tim.

+Quote Post
Matt Lenda
post Dec 16 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #205

Member No.: 6066

QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 15 2011, 08:01 AM) *
I can think of a lot of advantages! I sometimes use another program written by Jeff Hall in MIPL to map project the pancam data, which extends these maps out another 20 meters or so, where the pancam data is available. But the project doesn't have the resources to include the HiRISE DTM in the planning software. Curiosity will, however. I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are.

-Tim.

Wishes:

1) More project resources for more of the pretty
2) Navcam complete 360s at 1 bazillion bits per pixel

I do believe that would satisfy our Tim!

-m

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 16 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #206

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 15 2011, 10:01 AM) *
... I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are. ...
No kidding... If I could do it all over again I would do a second degree, or major, or at least a minor in computer programming. Being a scientist or engineer with the ability to write computer code would be an incredible advantage in today's world.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
walfy
post Dec 16 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #207

Member No.: 5161

Very interesting rock close-up from Sol 2803. There's a particularly sharp "spike," and some bright material as if a seagull had perched there. Powdered/eroded gypsum? Very nice in 3D! Looking forward to color renditions of this outcrop.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 16 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #208

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Some more luvverly rocks...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 16 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #209

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

You're right, Walfy... this is one fascinating-looking rocky area...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt Lenda
post Dec 17 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #210

Member No.: 6066

QUOTE (walfy @ Dec 16 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Very interesting rock close-up from Sol 2803. There's a particularly sharp "spike," and some bright material as if a seagull had perched there. Powdered/eroded gypsum? Very nice in 3D! Looking forward to color renditions of this outcrop.

Attached Image

Wow, I didn't even notice that one...

The one we're IDD'ing (or now done IDD'ing) was that smoother bit to the left, a "clast". The science team wanted the "matrix" rock (Boesmanskop), some soil near it, and a nearby "clast" to tell a full story. I'm not sure what they expect. Compositionally I don't expect anything different than Transvaal, though I'm no scientist...

-m

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.