8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 7: GRS images, July 11, 2017
Gerald
post Jun 30 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

There are another three days left over to vote for Perijove-07 points of interest (POI).

This time, all eyes will be on the Great Red Spot (GRS). Provided everything works as scheduled, one RGB image will be made almost above the center of the GRS. I'd think, that this RGB image will be complemented by a methane image. Since this time, we won't have contact with Earth during the flyby, the amount of data to be collected is rather constraint. Therefore, only a small number of images of the polar region is scheduled, just enough for a long-term observation. Storage will be sufficient for imaging several POIs to be voted for, but we may not get a full latitudinal coverage.
In order to obtain a full latitudinal coverage of the GRS and adjacent regions, we should take at least one image near the northern and one image near the southern edge of the GRS, better a set of five RGB images. We would see the GRS from different angles, and we would be able to study the turbulence north and south of the GRS. I'd also expect, that only images from north and south of the GRS will be able to cover most of its longitudinal extent.
In addition, a sequence of images near the GRS would provide the raw material for a great and unprecedented fly-over movie.

That said, there are several other interesting or potentially interesting targets to consider. Besides for an adjacent region of the GRS, I voted for the two polar-most POIs, since I hope, that we'll get some additional polar and subpolar images for a long-term study, and more close-ups of those incredibly turbulent FFR zones near the poles.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jul 1 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8089

Presenting, the fancy commemorative logo I made for the subreddit! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Jul 6 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7013

We have scheduled 3 GRS images - one that will capture the northern edge, one centered as Juno is right over the GRS, and one looking from the south. The third one will include the methane filter.

As you might imagine the project and the media are very interested in seeing these image products as soon as possible! We can't really predict exactly when they will be downlinked, but I will jump on here to let you know when they have hit the earth and are in the pipeline. This is the message I got from Scott Bolton, the PI: "I am hoping Candy can reach out to a few amateur colleagues to get them prepped to work fast. The reward will be the first to post a quality image will get the credit from NASA and I've suggested that NASA reach out for a quote from the person processing the image to inquire how it felt to the first human to see the GRS up close.".
So I know you all will process the images just because that is your passion, but there will also be intense interest from the project to release your beautiful products and, if you are interested, to interview you.

FYI, I love showing off the products you post on the missionjuno website! smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 7 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

All right, all you image wizards...here's a personal invite from a real live space mission to astonish a worldwide audience!!! Looking forward to seeing the results!

Thank you for this, Candy; we at UMSF are honored! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Jul 7 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #5

I am such a newbie I started a new topic, when I intended to put this under the PJ7 thread. I've asked one of the moderators if it can be moved. Sorry!

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Jul 7 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7822

Can't wait for new images!
While we wait for new image I just put here this picture.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Jul 9 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 508

Would we have a GRS floyover with the original orbit? If so when?

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 10 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7837

Using Bjorn's Voyager mosaic for this comp...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Jul 10 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #9

I've been asked this a lot...
When will the GRS images be downlinked? These are the factors:

* We have no downlink during the perijove pass because the spacecraft is in the MWR attitude. This means that all data must be stored on-board. The JunoCam onboard storage is 1181 Mb.
* Once downlink starts we play back engineering first, then FGM, then the other instruments
* The instrument round-robin will start at 6:40 am on Tuesday; JunoCam gets roughly 6 min per hour
* We start by playing back the images collected at -24 hr. Those images are compressed, so it is difficult to calculate the speed of playback precisely. Also, if other instruments’ buffers empty early then playback of JunoCam data will speed up.
* If the GRS images happen to be played back in the middle of the night there is no one at MSSS to see that they’ve arrived - that will happen at open of business
* Once we get the actual images we still need the c kernel with the spacecraft attitude to run the processing pipeline. Usually the C kernel arrives within a day of perijove, so this shouldn’t be a delay.
* As soon as the raw images are posted we will let everyone know that they are available at missionjuno.

Very conservatively I've estimated July 14, expecting that it is likely we'll see them at least a day before.
Hope this is helpful!!

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 10 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Candy Hansen @ Jul 10 2017, 09:37 AM) *
* The instrument round-robin will start at 6:40 am on Tuesday...

Pacific Daylight Time (UT-7h) I presume. You can look at https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html to see when Juno is being tracked; we have to be on a 70m antenna to get a decent downlink rate.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Jul 10 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7822

Thanks a lot for the information!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 11 2017, 03:36 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5221

DSN shows Juno talking to Earth (only a carrier wave for now).

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 11 2017, 04:22 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (t_oner @ Jul 9 2017, 06:38 AM) *
Would we have a GRS flyover with the original orbit? If so when?

It's a mission goal to do this at least once. Since neither the long-term position of the GRS or the exact orbit parameters can be predicted exactly, there's no way to know when in the original mission plan it would have happened.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jul 11 2017, 04:37 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8089

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 11 2017, 02:22 PM) *
It's a mission goal to do this at least once. Since neither the long-term position of the GRS or the exact orbit parameters can be predicted exactly, there's no way to know when in the original mission plan it would have happened.

I guess all that's important now that it happened smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 11 2017, 05:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 11 2017, 05:36 AM) *
DSN shows Juno talking to Earth (only a carrier wave for now).

The predicted SPICE kernels look as if a change of s/c attitude has been anticipated for 08:13 UTC, i.e. in a few hours. That's my best guess, when downlink will start.
I also presume, that c-kernel data of today will miss the GRS flyby by about two hours, such that my best guess for the availability of the first raws will be tomorrow (2017-07-12) morning PDT.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.