Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Map of relationships among scientific paradigms, From Seed Magazine
ustrax
post Mar 22 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

"This map was constructed by sorting roughly 800,000 published papers into 776 different scientific paradigms (shown as pale circular nodes) based on how often the papers were cited together by authors of other papers".

From here.

Just see the new branches of the tree of knowledge expanding...
Very interesting and quite a beautiful work of art! smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
CosmicRocker
post Mar 26 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Wow, this is really interesting. Thanks for posting that, ustrax. Ages ago I thought it would be interesting to try to draw a picture of science. I had a vague idea of sort of a scaffolding structure that reached out and linked up with other centers of knowledge, but it never occurred to me that this could be done in a somewhat rigorous way. Having no artistic talent whatsoever, the thought never went beyond that.

It wasn't apparent to me at first, but the map at http://mapofscience.com/ is interactive, allowing one to highlight it's parts. Computer science is apparently lumped in with engineering as an applied science. That whole segment provides a lot of scaffolding for the overall structure, and that makes abundant sense, since engineers and computer scientists are tasked with solving a wide range of problems. It is interesting to highlight the various scientific disciplines and see their individual contributions. There is a strong tendency to make close connections that reach out to neighbors, but sometimes you see outliers where a node from one discipline sprouts up from unfamiliar territory, in a manner reminiscent of the panspermia theory.

I think there might be more interesting details in the database they tapped. It sounds like it would be fun to slice and dice it with that Sandia software they cite.
"Visualization uses VxInsight, a proprietary software package from Sandia National Labs."

In the end, I guess one could argue that it is all physics.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.