Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
dot.dk
post Mar 11 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Absolutely stunning work smile.gif

Maybe adding some wheel tracks will make it even more real looking than it already is wheel.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Mar 11 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #407

Member No.: 150

Finally I see the rover in action and is a beauty... cool.gif
I agree with Doug/Dot suggestions about light and rover tracks, both should definitely add lot of realism!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 11 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #408

Member No.: 1097

Here we go... corrected lighting+tracks...

..does this pass the test mr djellison? smile.gif

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
Pando
post Mar 12 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #409

The Insider

Member No.: 73

The shadow definitely adds realism. However, it looks like you rendered a shadow layer and placed it on the ground, but the rover parts that should also be in the shadow are illuminated too much (the rover body beneath the solar panels for example). The shadow on the ground will also have to match with the shadows that fall on every rover component, in both direction and darkness, or there will be a visual disconnect that will instantly give it away. People who haven't done 3d rendering may sense that something isn't right but may not be able to tell exactly what's missing. The guidance you get here from Doug for example will go a long way, so soak it all in as it will only help you in the long run. smile.gif

Some 13 years ago I had fun modeling and rendering Anakin's podracer (link). It took me a while, and in the process I learned a LOT. While it doesn't even remotely compare with the effort and detail you put into it, the end composite was rather similar in that it took me many retries to get it believable with shadows and lighting in the right directions. Later I created some product images for the company I worked for, and they were almost indistinguishable from real photographs.

Also, consider adding a small copyright notice to your images you post. Just saying...

+Quote Post
monty python
post Mar 12 2012, 05:05 AM
Post #410

Member No.: 692

If I were scooterlord I wouldn't want to dirty up and shadow all the fantastic detail I just labored to create! But it would make a more realistic mars surface image.

Great work sir!

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #411

QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 12 2012, 06:30 AM) *
The shadow definitely adds realism. However, it looks like you rendered a shadow layer and placed it on the ground, but the rover parts that should also be in the shadow are illuminated too much...

..the shadow layer correctly shadows all the parts of the rover, not just the ground, if you compare it to the original integration you will realize this. The body is reflective thats why it seems to be lighter..

edit: once again I realize that something went wrong, checking my layers now, and while the shadow layer is right, the illumination layer isn't. GRRR. Next render will be perfect..

edit2: looks like there's a serious restriction with the program I am using. Seems like you cannot use for lighting both physical sun + hdri. So I either have to add a new light source and re-render everything from scratch (which is a no-go because it takes soooo many hours) or what I am doing now. I am rendering using the sun as a source, then overlapping with the original render I had to get color/hue and then add everything else. Hope all goes as planned. To be honest, the render seemed a bit strange, but hey, some things in life seem strange as well like sometimes the car reflections in real life seem 'unrealistic', I thought the program took care of everything but looks like this restriction made it seem a bit odd in the end. Anyway, let's see what happens

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #412

Done!... this I think you guys will approve...

I rendered an illumination layer on top of the previous one, deleted a couple of under-layers, improved the dust layer, corrected reflections. This seems right! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Mar 12 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #413

Member No.: 150

Simply Fabulous!
cool.gif

___ pancam.gif _____
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #414

heh, I am still waiting for djellison's approval.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 12 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #415

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

You're definitely getting there. The black wheel tread is still reflective rather that just a soft muted shiny, and I'd say you could tone down the saturation of your fill light from BEIGE to 'mocha..extra milk please' - if nothing else to help the rover just stand out a bit more.

Great work though, nice progress. See...told you it would sit well in a real image.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #416

Hmm, the wheels are supposed to be shiny, their material is shiny black.. but I guess I can tone it down a bit. All done from now on in this image is just photoshop post process. I can change the color tint of the rover a bit as well. Any other suggestions so that I can do them all at once?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 12 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #417

Member No.: 181

I second echo each of Doug's suggestions FWIW.

The apparent reflectivity of the wheels has been (to me) the most distracting element of the photo integration. I though the most recent (two?) renders were just a tick heavy on the red side, where a slight shift to a more ocher accent would 'feel' more right.

The shadows look great now!

Your work is incredible; all the more so considering your reference material!

-- Pertinax

(Sorry SL, I see I took to long to type! smile.gif )

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 12 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #418

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Mar 12 2012, 01:28 PM) *
Hm, the wheels are supposed to be shiny, their material is shiny black..

Shiny - but not reflective. And infact, after driving a short distance on Mars, that shine is pretty much gone.

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/spacecra...mer1_021003.jpg
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/spacecra...s/tworovers.jpg
http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/ksc_45th/hi-resjpgs/24.jpg

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #419

...in 3d shiny=reflective... but I get the point. Will have it fixed later on. I am working on a bar project atm, and working tomorrow morning. I hope I can have this done by tomorrow

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #420

Here we go, reflections on the wheels=off, color of the mast > milky.

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.