IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Most exciting year for solar system exploration?
Phil Stooke
post Jun 17 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #16

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

1979, Jupiter - yes, that was an amazing time. Oddly, from our perspective today, perhaps, there wasn't a huge promotion of Voyager 1 in advance. There were once even questions about whether a camera was needed on Voyager - the particles and fields folk thought that was all there was to do in the outer solar system. What would a camera show? Fuzzy clouds and cratered moons or smooth iceballs, and who could be interested in that? I recall seeing the pictures of Jupiter get larger over a 3 month period - I got the Voyager Bulletin by mail every week or so and listened to Don Bane's recorded telephone messages, which were daily near the encounter. The press was fairly quiet until very close to the flyby. Then things changed very fast - active volcanoes on Io, bizarre fracture patterns on Ganymede and Europa, bulls-eye rings on Callisto, and Jupiter's cloud features stayed sharp almost to the limit of resolution. The pictures were all over the news. Voyager 2 got a lot more attention, and so did both flybys of Saturn.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Jun 18 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 628

I thought Mars Pathfinder in 1997 was exciting because it was not quite a first. You might say it was the first successful robotic return to a place we had already visited, after two decades when it seemed we had lost the knack. And of course it didn't do any harm that we had recently been primed by reading the first two Kim Stanley Robinson novels.

Fact check - "Blue Mars" was published in 1996; I guess I was just slow to get hold of it.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 24 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 321

I'll post here because I was thinking of a related "Best of" list: Worlds that turned out to be significantly more interesting than expected:

Io
Europa
Enceladus
Triton
Pluto
Titan
Ganymede

Of course, it depends on who's doing the "expecting." Compared to the 1877 hype, Mars turned out to be a lot less interesting than expected, and so did Venus. From 1981 to the present, however, Mars has probably increased in interestingness.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.