Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Eight years!, Cassini-Huygens soldiers on
jasedm
post Jul 2 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

8 years since orbit insertion - something of a milestone!

It seems a lifetime since the insertion burn, and then having to wait 4 long months whilst the initial capture orbit was completed....

Many congratulations to all those involved in this fantastic mission, and thanks for the exemplary accessibilty to the raw data on the website throughout those 8 years. 5+ years remaining, with F-ring and proximal orbits to look forward to.

I was almost moved to write an ode, but my poetry is less Shakespeare, more Bulwer-Lytton...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jul 2 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

Amazing achievement. I thought orbiting Saturn for one Saturnian season was pushing expectations, and it looks like they will get pretty close to 2. that would be almost 180 degrees around the sun. I love watching the changing aspect of the rings to the sun and the shadows across the planet itself.

13 years at Saturn makes me hope someday we get 20 at Uranus. A 90 degree arc around the sun would get us some amazing long term picture sequences of one season there.

Hope the Cassini mission team understands just how much everyone of us here at UMSF appreciates their work on this incredible flight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.