IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What Will This Mission Accomplish Others Won't?
Decepticon
post Jan 20 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

I'm looking forward to seeing the other Landers Russian/US

Mars 3 and the Polar Lander are the to main ones I want to see.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 11 2005, 04:01 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Jan 20 2005, 02:09 AM)
I'm looking forward to seeing the other Landers Russian/US

Mars 3 and the Polar Lander are the to main ones I want to see.

That would be great, but... I seem to recall Mike Collins on Apollo 11 looking and looking for Eagle on the surface, and without a precise location the field of view in his sextant was just too narrow to find it.

I know what MRO's resolution is -- but what is the area of an MRO imaging "swath"? How many swaths will have to be imaged to find something that we don't have an exact location for?

The guys at JPL thought they had a good location on Viking 1, but MGS (which can effectively image the smaller MERs) hasn't been able to find it. They have less of a good location fix on Viking 2 and Pathfinder/Sojourner, and also their heroic efforts to find MPL failed. It's going to be hard to find those guys, much less Mars 3, for which I don't know if *anyone* has a decent idea of location.

Of course, we could always get lucky and find one or more of them by chance...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 11 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #18

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Actually, we already have good locations for Viking 1 and MPF from MOC, which has photographed them on the surface.
http://barsoom.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/01/04/

In addition to Viking 2 and Mars 3, I would like to see Mars 6. Mars 6 returned the first scientific data from the Martian atmosphere during descent in 1975, although it crashed. An engineering instrument eroneously identified argon in the atmosphere, leading many believe erroneously that the Martian atmosphere was largely composed of argon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 11 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

MRO's swath width is ENORMOUS!

6km width - which is 4x that of MGS smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.