IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post First Drive - Intermission, Start of Drive to Glenelg, Intermission between CAP 1B and 2 - Sols 17 through 29
MarkL
post Sep 15 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 981

Thanks!

QUOTE (maschnitz @ Sep 13 2012, 09:29 PM) *
All the news conferences are archived on UStream:
http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

Pointers to individual ones are on JPL's site:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/news/whatsnew/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 15 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (maschnitz @ Sep 13 2012, 04:29 PM) *
All the news conferences are archived on UStream: * * *

QUOTE (chris @ Sep 14 2012, 08:39 AM) *
Admins, could we please add this to the sticky MSL FAQs and USEFUL DOCUMENTS topic? DONE! THANKS!

Maschnitz, chris & admins, thanks for this. I've consistently had a hard time googling for the Curiosity news conferences; too many press articles crowding out the original announcement.

TTT

+Quote Post
NickF
post Sep 17 2012, 03:55 AM
Post #303

Member No.: 4589

I'm not sure if this is a trick of the perspective, or an otherwise interestingly eroded specimen from Sol 20.
Zoom and crop from deBayered mastcam image 0020MR0109004000C0_DXXX.jpg

Attached Image

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Sep 20 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 6500

"Humongous Anaglyph II"... With the recent arrival of the remaining Sol 23 full panorama MC100's (at last!) a crisp full resolution anaglyph comprised of Sol 19 and Sol 23's MC100's can finally be rendered without the missing frames. I extended the view all the way to the southern extremities of the Mt. Sharp foothills by blending the Sol 37 MC100 images that were never imaged on 19 and 23's pano's to the right side. That section had to be paired with MC34 frames though so the clarity there degrades a bit, but the nice trade-off is the wider baseline deepens the z-axis considerably. There's still a wonky patch or two at the blend point, but after brushing out those pesky immersion breaking MC100 dirt spots and fully blending the sky for good measure, a full screen, medium zoomed, slow pan from left to right makes for a pretty smooth ride...

25100x2500px ~ 8.63MB

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 20 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #305

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Sep 20 2012, 07:50 PM) *
"Humongous Anaglyph II"...

Good... grief... ohmy.gif blink.gif

That has to be one of the most amazing (and I ***HATE*** the over-use of that word, so using it means a lot from me!) images I've ever seen on UMSF. Just outstanding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 20 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #306

Member No.: 678

Holly mother of g... !! This is insanely awesome !! You did a GREAT job there. Amazing !

--------------------

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Sep 20 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #307

Member No.: 6500

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 20 2012, 12:07 PM) *
Good... grief... ohmy.gif blink.gif

Thanks Stu and Ant103. Scary thing is, there are slew of Sol 36 MC100's of the NE flanks of Mt. Sharp whose right side perfectly overlap the left side of this one, but that'd get up into the 30,000's of pixel width. It's tempting though.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Sep 21 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 3511

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Sep 20 2012, 11:50 AM) *
"Humongous Anaglyph II"...

Staggering ! Thanks for sharing that.

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Sep 21 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #309

Guests

Wauw Ed, mindblowing and eye-popping to say the least! My eyes couldn't deal with the near areas in the bottom of the pano, they just wouldn't click into place for me, I think the colours were too far apart... The landscape is just fantastic in this foreshortened super-tele version.

About one third in from the left and 40 percent up there's a vertical cliff face (in the shade). Looks like the end of a big slab that tilted slightly. Would anybody have an idea how high it is?

+Quote Post
xflare
post Sep 21 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 84

sol 27 image of rock types that Dt. Joy Crisp referred to several weeks ago, a clearer view of the large grains in the rock.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post
charborob
post Sep 21 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 3908

In the upper part of the image, doesn't it look like there is a large dark gray clast in the lighter-colored (?)outcrop?

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 21 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (charborob @ Sep 21 2012, 11:52 AM) *
In the upper part of the image, doesn't it look like there is a large dark gray clast in the lighter-colored (?)outcrop?

Yes. Very, very obvious. Whether it's a clast in the lighter-toned unit or just a different kind of rock that was once deposited on the lighter-toned unit when that unit was the surface layer, it's hard to say.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 2 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #313

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Interesting,... you have to keep checking back! New images from many older sols - here is one from sol 22 just coming available today (sol 55) - the rover made a circular track imprint around Goulburn Scour just before it departed (used the DAN on the scour).

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/ra...0411M_&s=22

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ronald
post Oct 27 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #314

Member No.: 6658

Maybe something was wrong with the coffee this morning but I cant get anything better than this (sol 25):

Attachement system refused to load it ...

Big version here.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.