IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

67 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atop/Around the Greenheugh Pediment, Site 79-, sol 2695-3199, 3 Mar 2020-6 Aug 2021
fredk
post Sep 16 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 24 2020, 05:57 PM) *
Starting around sol 2850 the MSSS images at mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images have been provided with incorrect MIME types. This means they won't display correctly in browsers. For example, clicking on this mastcam link:
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/0...307C00_DXXX.jpg
browsers will typically ask what you want to do with the file or just download it. Clicking on an engineering pic, eg:
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/m...NCAM00543M_.JPG
will open the image in a new window/tab as it should.

I've been parsing the MSL json files into very basic (static) html and thought I could make the pages public in case anyone might find them useful. But the incorrect MSSS MIME types make it really hard to provide useful links to the images.

Can anyone suggest someone to contact about the mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images server to fix this? I contacted the feedback link nearly a month ago but have gotten no reply.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xflare
post Sep 16 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 16 2020, 02:49 PM) *
No issues, just busy testing. Curiosity has recently ingested a sample from the Mary Anning 3 drill hole into SAM and is using the first of its 2 cups of TMAH to see what it can find in the clay unit. The SAM tests are energy hungry and the powdered rock sample remains in the sleeve of the drill so the use of the arm is on hold until the SAM / CheMin analysis is completed.

Here's a nice RMI mosaic from earlier today of the target "Housedon Hill" target that lies ~400 meters East of the rover
[attachment=46121:Housedon...4_stitch.jpg]

The RAW page only works with the new Microsoft Edge Browser.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 16 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #258

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The RAW page on the mission website? No, I'm in it now on Firefox.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 17 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #259

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Sol 2884 - the dust devil search saw some very faint dust features over Vera Rubin Ridge. Not very pretty! So I won't post them but the wind is very active at the moment.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
neo56
post Sep 17 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #260

Member No.: 79

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 16 2020, 02:49 PM) *
Here's a nice RMI mosaic from earlier today of the target "Housedon Hill" target that lies ~400 meters East of the rover
[attachment=46121:Housedon...4_stitch.jpg]

Paul, do you know if there is a MastCam image or mosaic that comes along this RMI mosaic?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 17 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #261

It's in the 2845 mosaic - here's the MR frame:

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/0...029C00_DXXX.jpg

(Pre-sol 2850 so the link works.)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 22 2020, 01:27 AM
Post #262

Member No.: 6853

Another long distance RMI mosaic, this time from Sol 2889, 8 frames roughly assembled in MS-ICE, kindly try to ignore the poor processing of the forth frame as it was not pre-processed in the image pipeline like the other 7.

The mission update refers to:- "ChemCam RMI mosaics to document stratigraphy and to investigate the feasibility of extracting stereo information from overlapping RMI images". Fingers crossed they can tease that stereo information from their versions.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 25 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #263

Curiosity has been busy expanding the long-distance imaging of the terrain around "Housedon Hill" using its RMI-ChemCam while stationed at the Mary Anning sampling site. However some of the 'PNG processed' RMI's have not made it into the raw image server, making it difficult for me to process them into what is a rather nice mosaic.

Background:
The JSON page and the MSL raw image server both contain all the RMI's in JPG format, these raw images appear 'unprocessed' as they are very underexposed and heavily vignetted. Thankfully the PNG versions that correct the exposure and vignetting are also loaded in the raw image server, but not on the JSON page I use.

Is anyone here aware of a different JSON page where I can download the missing PNG format RMI's, as my processing skills and tools are not developed enough to restore the JPG files.

Example:
The most recent set of RMI's from Housedon Hill are from sol 2891 Note that there are 10 RMI frames in JPG format, but only 8 frames in PNG format. Here is a mosaic assembled from just 4 of the PNG frames.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 25 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 4605

It seems that there will be a third drill adjacent to the “Mary Anning” site. From the September 23, 2020 update, "...we are already on the look out for the nearby target "Ayton." We want to drill there too, to follow up the chemical changes we have observed in the area."

"Ayton" target:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 25 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #265

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 25 2020, 08:48 AM) *
Thankfully the PNG versions that correct the exposure and vignetting are also loaded in the raw image server, but not on the JSON page I use.

Is anyone here aware of a different JSON page where I can download the missing PNG format RMI's, as my processing skills and tools are not developed enough to restore the JPG files.

That json is the "v2" json and indeed doesn't include the chemcam pngs. There is also the "v1" json file (different format) here (and links therein) which does include the pngs (and thumbnails too), but unfortunately in my experience doesn't show any more images than the public jpeg server. Right now I'm also seeing two jpeg-only images in that 2891 sequence.

I don't know why some pngs are missing - I thought those were generated on the ground.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 26 2020, 01:51 AM
Post #266

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 26 2020, 12:09 AM) *
I don't know why some pngs are missing - I thought those were generated on the ground

Many thanks for the additional link, having just checked it there is still only 8 PNG RMI's from that long-distance group, I'll check again later to see if the missing 2 arrive.

I also recall the PNG's were generated on the ground from very early on in the mission, but I can't recall which center performed that function, maybe they are not aware some failed to get converted.

One could assume it's an automated pipeline that processes the RMI jpg's from the rover, but maybe it rejects images that don't meet certain criteria?

I know we could wait until the PDS is updated, but that's not really a viable option for me at this stage in the mission as we'll likely drive a little closer to some of that terrain and be able to image it with the MastCams.

It's a pity that some PNG's remain missing as another batch has since arrived that would expand the set even more.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Sep 27 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #267

Member No.: 3908

Sol 2894 long-distance RMI mosaic:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 27 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #268

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 16 2020, 09:52 AM) *
Can anyone suggest someone to contact about the mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images server to fix this?

FWIW I asked our group at MSSS and they forwarded the problem on, so I presume the problem is at JPL or whoever they contract with to manage this. But the web site interface seems to have changed since the last time I looked at it, so I'm not sure this is still inconsistent between the science and engineering cameras.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Sep 27 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #269

Member No.: 3908

Sol 2893 long-distance RMI:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 28 2020, 05:00 AM
Post #270

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 27 2020, 06:17 PM) *
FWIW I asked our group at MSSS and they forwarded the problem on

Much appreciated. And yes, MSSS images added begining yesterday appear to have the correct MIME types again. Someone got the message!

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.