IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Where will you be..., When Phoenix lands
tuvas
post May 21 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1062

Okay, so there's only a few days till the landing, and I'm just curious, where will you all be? Just trying to keep a similar sounding thread to it's original purpose, that's all.

I am planning as of now to be at the LPL event at the University of Arizona. It should be interesting. I can only be there for about the hour around the landing time, but that's alright.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Stu
post May 21 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #2

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

I'll be sat in my living room here in Kendal, in "Computer Corner", from around 9pm right through until 4ish next morning, basically monitoring everything. Inbetween I am probably going to be doing a few "slots" on the phone with my local BBC radio station, Radio Cumbria, updating listeners on what's happening/happened, and there's a chance I might be on Radio 5 Live too, but haven't heard back from them about that. Luckily I'm off work all day Monday so I'll be able to follow post-landing events and coverage too.

So, if anyone else is having a "Phoenix Marathon" you know there'll be at least one other person here to keep you company!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 21 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Unrestless as I'm feeling I won't be capable of staying in one single place... tongue.gif

but home...mostly...I still don't know if I'll head to the office to wait for the post landing press conference...

Guys...100 Hours to Mars in 29 minutes!!! biggrin.gif

EDITED: Have you seen my new header?... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 21 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I will probably at the Sonnet building on the U of A campus. Or at the event in the Kuiper building.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 21 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

As luck would have it, flying from Ontario to Vancouver, BC that morning, and with uncertain access to the internet over the critical period. Still, I'll be on the West Coast, and that's good in itself.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 21 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15

I'll be in my living room with NASA-TV running on my TV (I've got a great cable system, and I don't say that just because I work for them) and UMSF running on my computer. I'm hopeful we'll have the UMSF chat room running so we can exchange info and emotions.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 21 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 542

I've got a terrible confession to make. I'll be asleep. I'll turn on the BBC news in the morning.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 21 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That's a stance I can totally appreciate. 'Wake me up when it's over' is perhaps the most sensible option.

I'll be in Patrick Moore's dining room bouncing off the walls probably.

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post May 21 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (ngunn @ May 21 2008, 11:31 PM) *
I've got a terrible confession to make. I'll be asleep. I'll turn on the BBC news in the morning.

We won't let you do that tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 22 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Sittin' at home, TV on CNN probably because I don't get NASA TV, the (terrible swear word describing cable company removed)s, one hand on the computer monitoring all the sites, two hamds typing in the UMSF chat, one hand holding a beer, one hand holding a stogie, and one hand popping peanuts into my mouth. (I'm having the extra hands installed on Friday; this is LA, after all, capital of unnecessary surgeries!) tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post May 22 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4093

I'll be making the 4 hour trip to the next town, which happens to be the Canberra DSN station (well, 45 mins out of Canberra). Hope to catch the landing there, but if I run late, I'll be watching it from a friends house in Canberra on the way to the DSN and go to the DSN for the first image.

On that note, can anybody tape / record the NASA TV stream (media stream preferred)?

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
mike
post May 22 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 86

Does the Live Chat link work? When I click it in either Firefox or IE, I get the message 'Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.'

+Quote Post
mchan
post May 22 2008, 03:41 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 476

At a wedding banquet for a relative where I will probably get weird looks by sneaking off to the bar and tipping the bartender to change the channel to CNN. I would probably get dirty looks if I had a mobile internet device.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 22 2008, 03:43 AM
Post #14

Administrator

Member No.: 454

For Americans who don't get NASA TV but do have decent cable, the Science Channel will be carrying live coverage from 7 to 9 ET, with Jim Garvin commentating.

And if you're stuck at a function without TV, try the Twitter feed -- have it send text messages to your celly.

Y'all know where I'll be smile.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 22 2008, 03:50 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (mike @ May 21 2008, 06:21 PM) *
Does the Live Chat link work?

No.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.