Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 90+, Extended mission
ilbasso
post Sep 30 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (efron_01 @ Sep 29 2008, 05:10 PM) *
Well.. the article says "NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has detected snow falling from Martian clouds."
so not from a cloudless sky. It seems to be real snow.

Jim Whiteway, interviewed in today's Washington Post, doesn't mention the particles coming from clouds.

"Whiteway said the snow, along with frost and fog, began to appear about a month ago, as temperatures cooled on Mars. "This is now occurring every night," he said.

In an interview after the teleconference, Whiteway likened the snow to "diamond dust" that falls in the Arctic and Antarctica.

"What this is telling us is that water does rise from the ground to the atmosphere and then precipitates down," he said. "So there is a hydrological cycle on Mars, and now other experts will study the data and try to determine what it all means."

Although the Phoenix instruments could not determine whether the snow hit the ground, Whiteway said there are some indications that it does.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Sep 30 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 30 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Jim Whiteway, interviewed in today's Washington Post, doesn't mention the particles coming from clouds.

I don't know whether the lidar imaging of atmospheric ice crystals and of "snow" falling from clouds are two different observations or two descriptions of the same observation.
Attached Image

Phoenix lidar sees snow falling from Martian clouds http://planetary.org/blog/
...The beam detected clouds at elevations between 3.5 and 4 kilometers above the surface. As the observation continued, it detected "fall streaks," where ice crystals that formed within the clouds began to descend toward the ground...
Credit: NASA / JPL / UA / MET team

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Sep 30 2008, 02:31 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 29 2008, 03:39 PM) *
Can't find the reference now, but I saw it described yesterday as "diamond dust"

Ooooooo. Diamond Dust! smile.gif If true that could provide some unique pictures (http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/diamonds.htm). I was looking for an illustration I did a number of years ago simulating both water and CO2 diamond dust on mars, but I can't find it now. I'll post it if I run across it in a reasonable amount of time.

Concerning, your observation efron, I can see both word uses fairly easily being used for the same observed phenomena: 1) you can have ice crystals precipitating from martian clouds that would be more akin to diamond dust than what we think of as snow in nature, and 2) you could have a layer in the atmosphere producing diamond dust which subsequently settles ground ward and is referred to as 'snow' for the ease of communication.

[hmmm -- my post is already out of date! smile.gif That's what I get for digging through old cd's while posting!]

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
bugs_
post Sep 30 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 125

QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 29 2008, 10:51 PM) *
Has TEGA detected any nitrogen?

Dr. Hoffman gave a presentation at UT Dallas last week. He mentioned that compressed Nitrogen (from earth)
was used to move gasses from the ovens to the mass spectrometer. They will not be able to measure
nitrogen because of that.

I asked if Dr. Hoffman's device had been able to measure the isotopic ratio of Methane in the atmosphere
and he answered "Not yet.".

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 30 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #305

Member No.: 152

The RAC took a dust devil horizon sequence on sol 111. If you look closely, there are changes (lightening and darkening) near the horizon in some of these frames. Here's the difference between the frames at 11:43:17, 11:44:28, 11:45:37, 11:50:44 and the frame at 11:32:48, turned into a gif movie:
Attached Image

My first thought was these are DD tracks and the devils passed between frames. But I don't think that can be - DD tracks we've seen before form and then stay put.

Instead, could these patterns be shadows of thin clouds shifting across the ground?

+Quote Post
Aussie
post Oct 1 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #306

Member No.: 2865

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 30 2008, 06:47 AM) *
*cough*cough*
Also, I think that the 'fuss over snow' is justified.
A snow report is a hook to hang the rest of your science on.
Great and open outreach!
Astro0

Oh. I see. Sort of like the ESA report of clouds on Mars.
But hold on a tick - that got a *scoff*scoff* as opposed to a *cough*cough*

+Quote Post
peter59
post Oct 1 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #307

Member No.: 299

Ten days without new Happy Pan images. Is Happy Pan abandoned ? mad.gif

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 1 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #308

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They will be able to carry on taking it after arm-ops are over, so it's more important to do what is necessary in support of arm ops first.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 1 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #309

Founder

QUOTE (Aussie @ Oct 1 2008, 05:34 AM) *
Oh. I see. Sort of like the ESA report of clouds on Mars.
But hold on a tick - that got a *scoff*scoff* as opposed to a *cough*cough*

Because clouds on Mars were not a new discovery, not a unique new finding. Snow is.

I have sent you a private message.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 1 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 1 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Because clouds on Mars were not a new discovery, not a unique new finding. Snow is.

Snow was observed by MOLA on MGS:

http://ssed.gsfc.nasa.gov/tharsis/clouds&snow.html

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 1 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #311

Founder

AH - ok - that I did not know - thanks for pointing it out.

""Nothing like this view has ever been seen on Mars," said Jim Whiteway, of York University, Toronto, lead scientist for the Canadian-supplied Meteorological Station on Phoenix. "We'll be looking for signs that the snow may even reach the ground.""

The difference, I think, is that MOLA is saying they saw CO2 snow, PHX is saying H2O snow. But in many respects 'nothing like this view has ever been seen' is true only because we've not had a LIDAR on the surface of Mars before.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Oct 1 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #312

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

H2O snow. Can Phoenix build a snowman later ?

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 1 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #313

In the wildest dreams category, imagine snowflakes reaching Phoenix's microscope substrate wheel!

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 1 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #314

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Oct 1 2008, 04:22 PM) *
In the wildest dreams category, imagine snowflakes reaching Phoenix's microscope substrate wheel!

Rui, please do NOT use centsworth_II's avatar when you want to post your wild ideas blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 1 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #315

ULTREA!

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.