3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
OPAG meeting November 2008
infocat13
post Nov 2 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 479

OPAG ( outer planets assement group) meets on November 6th through 7th.I still do not see the agenda posted for this does someone have it? smile.gif
This the last OPAG meeting before the outerplanet fagship mission downselect decision is made in early 2009.So lets have fun! a poll for wich mission you would pick
to go first.I was going to add a third option and that would have been that DJ and I got Bill gates to pay for the losing candidate from next springs downselect............................................smile.gif
Decadel surveys and "complex" have lower prioritized Uranus and neptune missions but someday advances in aerobraking and ion propolsion will make possible discovery class outer planets missions so keep up that outer-outerplanets hope up.(the third toungue in cheek option in the poll)

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 2 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Sorry - I've closed the poll. It's not a productive way to have this debate - experience shows they don't benefit the discussion.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 2 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 2 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Sorry - I've closed the poll. It's not a productive way to have this debate - experience shows they don't benefit the discussion.

well doug maybe you could tell me when the agenda for the November meeting might be posted on the OPAG website?
for a meeting only 3 or 4 days away they sure are cuasing alot of nail biting.
I voted for saturn in that a titan lander or "boat" could discover "something wonderful" and that would drive exploration and funding much like the allen hills "discovey" did for mars for decades to come. Jupiter being a surface and radar imaging of Ganeymeade and Europa will tell us more about the charateristics of any subsurfice oceans but would not tell us much about whats under there.of course some the intruments might tell us what the surface colorations are on Europa.
my second reason is one of public relations, Jupiter would be a radiation shortend mission. Saturn will thrill us for another decade and this as mentioned above generates excitment that could losen more funding for well ........Jupiter and the other gas giants.

Opag and complex would say that both missions have compelling scientific value but theres money enough for one and I for one look forward to the AO in the spring.we are in for a candy store of a ride through some nice PDF documents in the next week do I have to wait till the 6th? smile.gif

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Nov 2 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (infocat13 @ Nov 2 2008, 09:38 PM) *
well doug maybe you could tell me when the agenda for the November meeting might be posted on the OPAG website?

I will post a summary at http://futureplanets.blogspot.com/ when the presentations are available. This meeting will get an update on the definition process, but no decision on which mission will fly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 2 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I got the following in an OPAG email...
OPAG Meeting November 6-7, Tempe, AZ

Four Points Sheraton
1333 South Rural Road
Tempe, AZ

Thursday, November 6
8:00 Steering Committee Meeting
8:30 Welcome & PSS report Fran Bagenal (U Colorado)
8:45 HQ Update Jim Green (NASA HQ)
9:45 BREAK
10:00 EJSM EJSM Team
12:00 LUNCH
1:00 TSSM TSSM Team
3:00 BREAK
3:15 Breakouts
4:15 New Frontiers to Neptune Candice Hansen (JPL) & Heidi Hammel (SSI)
4:40 Open Mike/Disburse to Reception

Reception at the Greeley household

Friday, November 7
8:00 Steering Committee Meeting
8:30 Outer Planets program Status Curt Niebur (NASA HQ)
9:30 Cassini Data Usability Claudia Alexander (JPL)
10:00 Science Talk – Adam Showman
10:30 BREAK
10:45 Decadal Survey and Mission Studies Ron Greeley (ASU), Jim Green (NASA HQ)
11:15 Future Missions/Open Mike Bill McKinnon (Washington Univ)
11:45 Actions, Findings, and Logistics Bill McKinnon (Washington Univ)
LUNCH

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 2 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 2 2008, 03:49 PM) *
I got the following in an OPAG email...

Fantastic!
many thanks
your wonderful!
I see a paper from Hiedi about the neptune mission, may she fly someday! er the spacecraft not the PI smile.gif
EJSM EJSM VS TSSM TSSM !
and yes of course the final downselect is in Jan 2009
and on friday I see Decadal Survey and Mission Studies it is interesting to observe how this evolves over the decades I use to buy NASA complex and decadel surveys from the government printing office before the age of computers and now that OPAG is online you can see meeting PDF reports back into the past to see the give and take of the science community

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 2 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Downselect is in mid-February, not January.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 2 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Nov 2 2008, 05:07 PM) *
Downselect is in mid-February, not January.

great!
Oct 2008 OPAG papers state a hope for a springtime AO but no date set ,but that is assumming we know by then the state of mind of our ESA partners?
but then again NASA has that standby of this mission being a stand alone mission if need be.
Volcanoepele you are hoping for a mission with more volcanoes in your future? smile.gif the japan and ESA contrabutions will they be targeting your faverite world?

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 2 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #9

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

The downselect I was referring to was the OPF one (EJSM or TSSM). EJSM will flyby Io 3-5 times before JEO goes into orbit around Europa. So that mission covers at least a little bit of my favorite world. TSSM will of course orbit and land/fly around my second favorite world.

I'm still conflicted between which one I support. I guess TSSM would provide A LOT of info on my second favorite world, then I can hope for an Io mission with the NF AO after this upcoming one. Such a mission would arrive at Jupiter about the time JEO would.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 3 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #10

Unnecessary quote removed - Mod

well come to think of it Titan does have suspected volcanic features I think in the radar images so you are in business and...............may I sell you on a Triton mission? smile.gif there are Geyser features in the Voyager images so there will be volcanopeles on mission teams for decades to come.
And Ceres may have done some melting early in its history soon we will know
I was referring to OPF as well.Do we downselect with ESA at the same time? I did not realize there where IO flybys as well in the EJSM this must be near and after Jupiter orbit insertion? and a thought.......... the Europa orbiter will impact that world at end of mission but maybe there is possibilty of end of mission scenerios for the japan or ESA orbiters to take a dive towards that sulfer world. Or end of mission for those spacecraft at a trojan asteriod.

OPAG documents are up!

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...ations/EJSM.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...ations/TSSM.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...tions/TSSM2.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...tions/TSSM3.pdf
Solar arrays! Really? Was this incorperated in the ideas submitted in March. I see 5 ASRG to as well.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...tions/TSSM4.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...tions/TSSM5.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...s/nieburOPP.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...ons/cassini.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...cadalSurvey.pdf

weeeeeeeeee ! an evening of reading tonight

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 11 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #11

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Try hitting 'add reply' at the bottom of the page instead of ' " reply ' after the message. (It would be good to remove the ' " reply ' button if it could be done.)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Nov 11 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 618

What's the difference between "add reply" and "fast reply" ? blink.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 11 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Hitting fast reply gives you a limited options way of posting. not smiley icons, no attachments, not extended formatting etc etc
Hitting reply at the bottom of a page is a full new post to that thread
Hitting reply on someone's post is a full new post to that thread with the entire contents of the post you hit reply on, pre-quoted.

The point is - if your post is going under the post you're replying to - you do not need to quote it. That's called inline quoting and it's un-necessary, grows the database, slows down the forum, and generally makes threads unnecessarily lengthy to scroll down.

Doug

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Nov 11 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 528

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 11 2008, 12:24 AM) *
inline quoting and it's un-necessary

Doug

If you really do want to quote something specific that someone said (perhaps buried quite a few posts back up in the thread somewhere) there is no need to keep the entire quote. Once the edit window comes up, remove everything except the quote tags and the one part of the quote you really want.

If you are not sure you did it correctly, select preview to see how it looks.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 12 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #15

I had a problem with the reply function and edit to an existing post yesterday.....so this is "reply" at bottom of page lets see if it works for me!

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...tions/TSSM3.pdf

Solar arrays! Really? Was this incorperated in the ideas submitted in March or something new?. I see 5 ASRG to as well.
On slide 29 there is end of mission planning but I am confused , are they planning a Titan impact at end of mission ?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:26 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.