2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
July 11, 1979, End of Skylab
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jul 13 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jul 13 2006, 10:24 AM) *
Correct, and while I don't think the modifications I would have liked to see on Skylab were all that radical (the Soviets did it in the 1970s, after all)...

I realized belatedly that my analogy made too much of an evolutionary leap (a ca. 1910 flying machine would have been better), but hey, why ruin a punch line? biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 13 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

In the mid-70's I wondered why they didn't simply make up a Thor-Agena booster, attach to the docking adapter and give it a boost. I was devastated when they let it go.

I've seen the some of SkyLab spare hardware at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, it's impressive.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 14 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jul 13 2006, 10:49 AM) *
I did find a Skylab launch image on Wikipedia, though.

Not related to Skylab itself, but I found a page that sells an audio CD of the Apollo 11 launch. I didn't know where to put it so it might as well go here.

It's supposedly very accurate (there's even a technical page describing how it was recorded) as it captured the bass frequencies the S-1C stage produced, as heard from the press site. There's an awesome preview clip of the launch until Max-Q that really lets you feel the rumble, a must-hear.
If you kick the volume up, the clip will shake your place up!

You can find it here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 14 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jul 13 2006, 02:41 PM) *
As for rescuing an abandonded space station, the Soyuz T15 mission did
that with Salyut 7 in 1986 in an amazing mission that does not nearly get
the publicity it should to this day.

Cool mission, thanks for sharing! Mir to Salyut and back to Mir-- never knew they'd done that. Although it sounds like they didn't exactly rescue the space station as much as they rescued the equipment in it for Mir.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jul 14 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jul 14 2006, 02:07 PM) *
Cool mission, thanks for sharing! Mir to Salyut and back to Mir-- never knew they'd done that. Although it sounds like they didn't exactly rescue the space station as much as they rescued the equipment in it for Mir.

They did get Salyut 7 ready to receive at least one more crew, but the
focus went to Mir and Salyut 7 was ultimately and finally abandoned.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 14 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #21

Guests

Indeed already 35 years since the beginning of Skylab and by next year the program ended 30 years ago... Time flies!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.