Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shuttle Extension 2015, the buzz
PDP8E
post Sep 2 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

This is instead of 2010 -- still preliminary though.......hmmmmm....

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 2 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This is a near impossible subject to discuss without mentioning the politics....but forum rules are rules.

+Quote Post
Paolo Amoroso
post Sep 2 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1633

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 2 2008, 08:00 PM) *
This is a near impossible subject to discuss without mentioning the politics....but forum rules are rules.

Wayne Hale's thoughts on closing the Shuttle program provide some solid organizational and technical background.

Paolo Amoroso

--------------------
Avventure Planetarie - Blog sulla comunicazione e divulgazione scientifica

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 2 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1241

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 2 2008, 02:00 PM) *

I propose we just post the occasional relevant news and links to keep the community informed --- MINUS the politics...

Either the fleet flies after 2010 or they are retired in 2010

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 2 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Sep 2 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Are these our only options? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Doug is the judge, but I do enjoy the "clearinghouse" of news and links being in one thread.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Sep 2 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 112

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Sep 2 2008, 09:43 PM) *

I propose the generalization of the above statement in the infinite series:

"Either the fleet flies after x+n or they are retired in x"
where x=2010, 2011,2012,.... and n=0,1,2,3,....

which are all naturally true laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 3 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (lyford @ Sep 2 2008, 12:54 PM) *
Are these our only options? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well, maybe NASA could convert them to submarines. :-)

--Greg

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 3 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15

Leaving politics and funding issues aside, I think it's worth discussing the safety aspect of any decision to extend the Shuttle fleet's operational lifetime past 2010.

The 2010 date was not set for political or even budgetary reasons. It was one of those very strong recommendations-cum-orders that came out of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board (CAIB) report.

The CAIB set the bar very, very high in terms of safety -- essentially, to reduce the possibility of another loss of crew and vehicle (LOCV) accident to such a remote level that one could confidently predict that we would never lose another Shuttle crew. In this regard, they studied not only the sequence of events leading up to the loss of Columbia, they also studied the engineering history of the orbiter fleet.

The general trend of the observations was that the fleet was flying fewer total flights per vehicle than it was designed for, but over a longer period of time. So while the process of refurbishing between flights was doing a decent job of catching and fixing flight damage, there were far fewer processes in place to catch and fix issues of senescence -- of aging components and wiring that could be developing fatal flaws.

This was reinforced by the late 1999 launch of the first Shuttle flight commanded by Eileen Collins, during which deteriorating wiring harnesses throughout the orbiter caused several short circuits which brought the Shuttle stack one electrical failure away from losing from one to all three SSMEs during the first few seconds of climb-out.

The CAIB studied this and other incidents, looked at all of the (at least partially) applicable data from the aircraft industry, and concluded that one of two things needed to happen:

1) The entire fleet needed to be completely rebuilt, checking and replacing every wiring harness, avionics box, and even high-stress portions of the airframe, if it was to be safe to fly beyond the end of the decade, or

2) The entire fleet needed to be retired by 2010.

Since option 2 is one heck of a lot less expensive than option 1, NASA decided to retire the fleet and redirect post-2010 Shuttle operational funding into CEV development.

Now, you can easily debate the political and funding issues surrounding a decision to abandon the 2010 retirement date. But I find it very difficult to ignore the original driving force behind that date -- the aging condition of the orbiter fleet.

I do understand that we have a corps of astronauts who will take the risk of flying a vehicle that may not be 100% safe. But, solely from a safety standpoint, do we *really* want that to be our national policy?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Sep 3 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #9

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Great points from Doug and Wayne Hale's blog...I love his self-description as a "shuttle hugger". I'm admittedly torn on many accounts, have a not-so-closet emotional attachment to this vehicle from childhood, and would love to see it keep flying for a spell...but the safety, component, and technical considerations seem insurmountable for more than a few extra missions beyond the 2010 date. The AMS should fly on the proposed 134 mission if the right parts are available, but beyond that...

As a side note, I hope this often flawed but beautiful partnership can continue irrespective of the current difficulties. The plotline of "2010" suddenly seems prescient again. smile.gif

Sorry to break with PDP8E's excellent suggestion to keep this potential powder keg limited to real news, but I've watched this development with ears perked up, and was excited to find this thread here.

I propose the remaining orbiters be converted to pedicabs. Thirty bicycles on each side of the fuselage should be enough to get one up the hills of Seattle or san Francisco. They can be amphibious like the tourist "Ducks" to meet Greg's suggestion in the middle. biggrin.gif

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 3 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Sep 2 2008, 08:52 PM) *
Well, maybe NASA could convert them to submarines. :-)
--Greg

Oh noes! You brought up the NASA/NOAA Inner Space/Outer Space controversy! This makes the manned/unmanned debate pale by comparison smile.gif smile.gif

The Spacecraft and The Submarine
Neemo 12

Timely cross reference though, innit?

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 3 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 103

Is there a definition somewhere of how we are operationally defining "politics" vis-a-vis this forum? I'm having difficulty distinguishing between why it's appropriate to bash ESA but inappropriate to discuss support for funding for a space project in the US. Not trying to be difficult here, but having had my hand slapped before, I am hesitant to participate in a discussion without having the rules defined clearly.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 3 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

ESA isn't politics (how can you draw an analogy about that?). Talking about politicians or political parties is, however. Given the nature of who has asked for the Shuttle to be retired in 2010 - who is asking for an extension to be investigated - and what's happening in November - it's hard to discuss this without politics getting involved.

However - the Politics rule is here for a reason - and it will never be up for debate.

Basically - if you need a definition of politics - look in a dictionary.

It's impossible to write down forum rules. I've tried - but it's essentially impossible because at any decision process, it's a judgement call. This, however, is a very clear, unambiguous one.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 3 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #13

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

If you aren't sure, it's probably best to avoid it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 3 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 3 2008, 07:26 PM) *
If you aren't sure, it's probably best to avoid it.

This is, by far, the best definition! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 3 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 3 2008, 01:22 PM) *
ESA isn't politics (how can you draw an analogy about that?). Talking about politicians or political parties is, however.

Maybe a better example would have been the "Science Eviscerated in NASA Budget" thread. Telling people to influence their Congresspeople about how to vote on an issue, even if it is near and dear to our hearts, sounds pretty political to me.

However, if the understanding is that we avoid names of people and parties, that's a little clearer.

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 3 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Basically - if you need a definition of politics - look in a dictionary.

I literally just now came from a meeting with a European client who had a document which defined politics as, "Understanding people and their motivations, and using this understanding to influence and move work forward."

Maybe the solution is that if there are subjects which the moderators feel smack of politics, they should be moved to the Policy and Strategy subforum, which people can avoid more easily.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.