Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
erpol
post Dec 7 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #916

Group: Members
Member No.: 4343

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 06:56 PM) *
mcaplinger: Thanks. It might be better to say I probably wouldn't write it exactly that way again, knowing what I know now.

erpol: Thanks. Yes, MMB was written in Java.

Dear mhoward. I' m using Midnight Planets now, but I still prefer the old MMB. The main problem in MP is I can't save the pictures on my HardDisk.
I can see the pictures in one tap, see the anagliphs, the panorama, but I can't save them.

More...
Today I had a bad news: Exploratorium doesn't answer. After a while I found out: the URL has changed from www.exploratorium to qt.exploratorium.

I dowloaded all the MMB source and eventually find the place where the URL is defined. I could change www in qt, but.. How can I build the Application?
I found no INSTALL file or something alike. Do I have to feed it to XCode?
Some instructions, please. rolleyes.gif

Thanks.
Ermanno
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 7 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #917

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Sorry, Ermanno, I can't help. MMB was compiled using Eclipse and the Rich Client Platform (RCP). The problem is that Eclipse is... well, I guess I'll be a tiny bit diplomatic here, and just say that after years of experience with it, I've gratefully left Eclipse and Java behind. Far behind. I don't even know how to compile MMB anymore, and I have no intention of revisiting it to find out. Which is why I've been saying for years that I'll keep updating the MMB metadata until something breaks, but when something breaks, that's the end. I haven't checked on Exploratorium yet, but if the old URL is no longer available, then it looks like that time has finally arrived.

Now if you're using Midnight Planets on Mac and want to access the files directly, you could download the 'Alpha' version from here and use the 'Configure Workspace' option under the application menu to configure a workspace directory. But there is no option to batch download all the files from a particular site, for example... that might be something for me to put in a future version. And all the images are stored in their original raw form, not processed as color (for Pancam) or anaglyphs... MP does all that dynamically at runtime, and there is currently no option to save processed images... also maybe something for a future version.

+Quote Post
erpol
post Dec 8 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #918

Member No.: 4343

QUOTE (mhoward @ Dec 7 2014, 07:58 PM) *
Sorry, Ermanno, I can't help. MMB was compiled using Eclipse and the Rich Client Platform (RCP). The problem is that Eclipse is... well, I guess I'll be a tiny bit diplomatic here, and just say that after years of experience with it, I've gratefully left Eclipse and Java behind. Far behind. I don't even know how to compile MMB anymore, and I have no intention of revisiting it to find out. Which is why I've been saying for years that I'll keep updating the MMB metadata until something breaks, but when something breaks, that's the end. I haven't checked on Exploratorium yet, but if the old URL is no longer available, then it looks like that time has finally arrived.

What a pity... Luckily, the JPL repository is still the same. I downloaded the pictures without problems, from there.
Now if you're using Midnight Planets on Mac and want to access the files directly, you could download the 'Alpha' version from here and use the 'Configure Workspace' option under the application menu to configure a workspace directory. But there is no option to batch download all the files from a particular site, for example... that might be something for me to put in a future version. And all the images are stored in their original raw form, not processed as color (for Pancam) or anaglyphs... MP does all that dynamically at runtime, and there is currently no option to save processed images... also maybe something for a future version.

I'll try to run the Alpha version (no danger to blow my Mac? rolleyes.gif ).

Thank you.

Ermanno

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 8 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #919

No, no danger to blow your Mac (that I'm aware of); however running any app off a website involves an extra degree of trust over getting it from the App Store. On the App Store, apps are (nominally) reviewed and are required to be 'sandboxed' for a certain degree of security. That said, right now the Alpha version is almost identical to the App Store version except for the Workspace feature.

Also it occurred to me today that I may not be able to keep the Alpha version around much longer, since I may end up using some functionality that's only available for App Store apps. I need to do some work to add the Workspace option to the App Store version of the app; that's more complicated than it sounds, because of the security sandboxing. One of many things on my to do list.

+Quote Post
sranderson
post Mar 8 2015, 05:11 AM
Post #920

Member No.: 386

Noticed recently that a good number of the images at JPL are blank. I don't think they were missing a few years ago. For example, look at Sol 194 for the microscopic imager. http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/opportunity_m194.html.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 8 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #921

Member No.: 152

(Not MMB related), but it's not just jpl, but also exploratorium: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...1M1.JPG?sol----
and pds. I have a vague memory of these blank images; probably they were simply overexposed.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jan 24 2018, 11:02 PM
Post #922

Member No.: 196

Here's to hoping whatever technical issue is going on can be resolved at the Midnight Planets Opportunity feed stuck at sol4964
...because it's depressing to be relegated to tediously fumbling through the cumbersome Exploratorium or NASA systems.
Deprivation like that can only reinforce how thankful I am the Curiosity feed remains functional!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 25 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #923

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Reading the posts above on this page suggests that there will be no fix, sadly. Maybe some benefactor will create a brand-new app with the same functionality.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 25 2018, 02:59 AM
Post #924

Ugh, I didn't realize the Opportunity download was broken.

Okay: I will see what if I can fix the Midnight Planets update in a few days. No promises.

This applies to Midnight Planets, not Midnight Mars Browser. Midnight Mars Browser (the subject of the 2015 posts above) still es muerta. It is an ex-program. Etc. But maybe I can fix Midnight Planets. No promises. I got a lot going on at the moment.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jan 25 2018, 03:22 AM
Post #925

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jan 25 2018, 10:59 AM) *
Ugh, I didn't realize the Opportunity download was broken.

Thanks Mike smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 29 2018, 03:12 AM
Post #926

Okay, I think regular updates have resumed for Midnight Planets. The Twitter feed is broken due to a change in Mac OS, and probably won't be coming back, but the web site is working: midnightplanets.com

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jan 29 2018, 04:00 AM
Post #927

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jan 29 2018, 11:12 AM) *
....the web site is working

Many thanks Mike, much appreciated smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 30 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #928

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Well, I could, but I would have to invest in a thesaurus or I would run out of superlatives.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jan 31 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #929

Member No.: 196

Amen! i also can't tell you how much im glad MP is back online (as a measure of how desperate i am to get my Mars fix, my laptop suddenly bricked over the weekend so i've dragged out my 15 year old Powerbook G4 PPC running Safari 4.1.3 and am pleased to find both UMSF and MP working fine in that ancient, i would say practically Hesperian, environment;)..

I had resurrected this old MMb thread since i didn't see any thread for MP, unless i missed it elsewhere, but interpreting MP as the successor to MMB it seemed the best fit. I'm curious, Mike, if your code for MP project is open source, as i'd imagine there may be some of the talented folks here who may have the time and perseverance to try extending capabilities to include some other missions where its possible. Such coding is beyond my own capabilities but i endeavor to throw hopeful suggestions out there!

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Feb 3 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #930

Member No.: 678

I have a question : since the update, the website of Midnights Planets is taking forever to load. The webpage is displaying too many pictures, which result in a too long webpage. It is displaying pictures that were loaded one month ago. So : what is happening ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 60 61 62 63 64 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.