Beagle 2 in HiRISE, Possible Targets
Geert
post May 4 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 3 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Is anyone looking?

I'm still looking almost daily, made more or less a routine of it every time I've got a bit of spare time and nothing much on hand, one day Beagle, one day MPL, and one day Mars 3 or Mars 6, centimeter by centimeter though those images.

Point is, it's not like you don't find anything, there's lots and lots of "suspicious stones" over there, the harder you look the more you find, but it's useless to start screaming 'hurah' every time you find something weird. The 'aha' moment is finding signs of a parachute, if you don't find a parachute you've got nothing, and I'm starting to get fairly confident that as far as Beagle, Mars 3 and Mars 6 are concerned there is no clearly visible parachute in the area's covered (and Mars 3 and Mars 6 are almost useless anyway, just a fools hope ;-) ). As far as MPL is concerned, that area is just terrible, you could hide a hundred white parachutes over there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 4 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (Geert @ May 3 2009, 08:06 PM) *
As far as MPL is concerned, that area is just terrible, you could hide a hundred white parachutes over there.

Kind of like the proverbial polar bear in a blizzard I presume?

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 4 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 523

OT, but speaking of MPL, are any newer images available yet? If not, do we have a ballpark idea on when to expect them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 4 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #139

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Actually - the season will be starting now. Phoenix landing site just hit 24hr dark, thus Polar Lander will be in 24hr Sun smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stuart H
post May 5 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 4752

QUOTE (djellison @ May 3 2009, 01:56 PM) *
Mark Sims told me that about half the ellipse has been covered by HiRISE - and that people are looking.

Believe me I have been looking for the the last 5 years.

Expect an announcement fairly soon (weeks I hope) !

Stuart H

PS. re Parachute material, we were concerned about Planetary Protection ie protecting Martian bugs from being infected/killed by our coatings, so did not use any. (mistake in hindsight )
See Beagle 2 Lessons Learned no. 1673 (-ish)

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.