IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

How infeasible is a Kuiper Belt equivalent of Dawn
Tom Womack
post Nov 25 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1551

I presume that it is completely infeasible without a very powerful nuclear reactor and many years' production of ion engines to do anything remotely like Dawn in the Kuiper belt - the distances are just too long.

Is it in fact feasible with current technology even to get a probe into orbit around Haumea or Makemake? I'd suspect not, that the speed you need to get it out to the Kuiper belt in a lifetime is much too great to cancel down to orbital velocity.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Rob Pinnegar
post Nov 26 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 426

It's possible that it could be done with current technology. But it would be unbelievably expensive -- and yes, we'd be talking about decades before any science results came in.

I'm guessing that a Neptune flyby would pretty much be a prerequisite -- just to help get the thing into something resembling a desirable orbit. Unfortunately, it would also cut down the number of possible targets.

+Quote Post
xtruel
post Jan 14 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4280

What seems far more realistic to me is a fly-by mission (similar to NH) which should greatly cut down costs, risks, technology challenges and travel time to such distant objects. Another reason is that I don’t see how it will be possible, from the scarce data collected by near-earth based observations of these objects, to define scientific goals which would be achievable by an orbiting mission but not by a fly-by mission and critical enough to justify the (big) drawbacks listed above. The exception being Pluto (a very interesting KBO indeed) if for some reason NH discoveries scheduled for 2015 raise some kind of interest for further investigation. I guess that any orbital mission to objects at typical KB distances would require at least 30 years to complete the trip, whatever the propulsion technology / gravitational assists strategy used.

About technology, Dawn’s solution (ion thrusters + solar panels) seems not feasible at KB where the distance to the sun is too great. I don’t believe in a solution of powering ITs by RTGs (too much power required ?). Given the fact that KBOs orbital velocity is rather low, it might be possible to design a rendez-vous trajectory (maybe with Neptune gravitational assist) where the delta-V required to enter orbit is small enough to be handled with standard chemical thrusters.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.