85 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
belleraphon1
post Jun 3 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 627

Spitzer warm mission will contribute to verifying and analyzing Kepler planet candidates...

From AAS abstracts session 210: http://aas.org/meetings/aas214/schedule_scientific.php

Confirmation and Characterization of Kepler Mission Exoplanets: The Era of Rock and Ice Exoplanets
Topic: None selected
Heather Knutson1, D. Charbonneau1
1Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
Presentation Number: 210.03
Facility Keyword: Spitzer
In the past 4 years, the combination of ground-based transit surveys and the remarkable stability of the Spitzer Space Telescope permitted the direct investigation of the atmospheres of one specific class of exoplanet, namely the Hot Jupiters. The NASA Kepler mission (scheduled for launch early this year) will have the ability to discover dozens of transiting exoplanets that are not currently detectable from the ground, including large numbers of transiting hot Neptune and hot Super-Earth exoplanets, as well as cooler Jupiters. Our Exploration Science program will measure the two-color planetary emission for 20 representative members of these previously inaccessible exoplanets, providing the first opportunity to directly test theoretical models of exoplanetary atmospheres of varying compositions (notably Super-Earths and Neptunes) and under differing levels of irradiation (cooler Jovian companions). The same data will permit an estimate of the orbital eccentricities, thus providing a test of models of the orbital migration and tidal dissipation for these various types of exoplanets. We will also use Spitzer to follow up Kepler-identified candidate terrestrial exoplanets to prove that these signals are indeed planetary in origin. By gathering single color time series spanning times of primary transit, we will exclude a significant source of astrophysical false positives (resulting from blends of triple star systems containing an eclipsing binary) that can precisely mimic an exoplanetary signature in the Kepler data. These infrared data will provide a crucial confirmation of the planetary nature of the most exciting terrestrial-planet candidates.

Craig
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 4 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 557

Here are a couple of web pages on the topic of exomoon detection:

Centauri Dreams

Royal Astronomical Society

Also, there is an interesting full length article on the topic in the July issue of Sky and Telescope, which is out now.

QUOTE (MahFL @ May 14 2009, 06:51 AM) *
... I bet before three years they will say, "yes we have X number of dimming's that might be Earth like".

I'm sure you're right. The very first download, due in just a few days, stands a good chance of having a small planet detection somewhere in the data. A long time before they sort out false detections, eclipsing binary backgrounds, and establish orbital periods, they should have a real good statistical idea of just how many earth class detections they are going to end up with.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jun 9 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #183

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Infighters often reign.

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 9 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #184

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 9 2009, 08:48 AM) *
Infighters often reign.

Yeah, I'm not getting any of that.

You tease.

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jun 9 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #185

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I hate anagrams. I'll just wait till the official announcement. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 9 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 542

Enter, offering insight (please!).

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 9 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #187

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 3 2009, 05:53 AM) *
Anagrams they are.

Is the source material for the anagrams in English, or are you scambling sentences in Portuguese (or some other language) into English words?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 9 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #188

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 3 2009, 11:53 AM) *
Anagrams they are.

Ok, now you're scaring me; you really sounded like Yoda there... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 10 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #189

Member No.: 590

Is anyone else ready for an anagram moratorium? Or at least a separate anagram thread? I get excited to see a new post under Kepler, then annoyed that it's just another anagram.

--Greg

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 10 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #190

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm with you Greg.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 10 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 4270

Same here. I've begun to realise that if you don't have anything to report, don't tease us.
Got angered at CoRoT for teasing everyone with "hints of a 1.7 Earth-radius transiting planet" for a couple years before CoRoT-7b was announced.
Anagrams, cryptic information, (and sometimes, as with CoRoT-2 b, press releases) just serve to raise public hopes beyond that which can be satisfied by what the piece of news actually is. This will backfire some, causing some animosity toward the mission.

Anyone remember that? CoRoT-2 b's announcement?
"Oh you guys are going to love this, wait for it... wait for it... wait for it.... history will be made...
OH MY GOSH!!! We found a HOT JUPIER!! OMG! Can you believe that?"

NASA's announcement of the SWEEPS planets back in October of 2006 was almost as bad.

My point is that if you sit on data, make sure it's all good, and then release it out of nowhere, everyone's surprised, and pleasantly excited, and we all love the mission that much more. It's a lot better than a CoRoT-2 style let-down.

Edit: Besides, if the data is scheduled for a Jun 18 download, what on Earth (har har) is there to make an anagram about anyway?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 10 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 10 2009, 03:19 PM) *
My point is that if you sit on data, make sure it's all good, and then release it out of nowhere, everyone's surprised, and pleasantly excited, and we all love the mission that much more. It's a lot better than a CoRoT-2 style let-down.

Are there worries about not being credited with discovery in these games? Does the Haumea tempest have people pre-releasing these discoveries in encrypted form?

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 10 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #193

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 10 2009, 02:19 PM) *
... if the data is scheduled for a Jun 18 download, what ... is there to make an anagram about anyway?

Ten days worth of calibration data, which could easily have picked up an exoearth or two if they are as common as has been assumed.

For those looking for substance, there is a new (well, two days old) Project Managers Update out.

Edit: I'd better mention that it would be impossible to confirm said planets if they were in anything remotely resembling a habitable zone. Merely that their transits would be present.

Also, I believe that if it's something you're not suppose to come right out and say, whatever it is, then best not to mention it at all.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jun 10 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 4168

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jun 10 2009, 10:54 AM) *
Is anyone else ready for an anagram moratorium? Or at least a separate anagram thread?

eys.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jun 11 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #195

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Jun 10 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Ten days worth of calibration data, which could easily have picked up an exoearth or two if they are as common as has been assumed.

Unless it's a starspot of course. It's hard to tell anything from just one transit. You need the follow-up observations. And if you have multiple transits in just 10 days then I think it's save to say it's not in the 'habitable zone'.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.